Jambands.ca

The Dead's best years?

keither

I've been doing a tonne of downloading to restock my GD collection and was wondering what other people think are The Dead's best years.

I'm a big fan of '73 & '89 myself... any other years that people think are a cut above the rest?

Any shows in particular?

big fan of early-mid 80s shows personally, particularly 83/84/85... lots of crazy shows from that period, free wheelin times for the band

here's a nice one (definately at least check out Eyes>Drums)

have too many favorites from that period to really break it down too much

also look into Garcia shows between 78 and 84... some true gems out there

Anything post - Jerry, I mean that guy just brought them down! Who's got my Joan Osbourne shows? Now there is talent...

Seriously though, late 60's - '72 Dead is my favorite... Best? No idea, I haven't heard nearly enough...

sidenote:

ummm, Jaimoe has legend status here with over 2500 posts, and he only registered last month?

seems he's been around here a lot longer than that!

I've been a member for 3 years this month. The system got screwed up last month and lost all my personal info.

hmmmmm.

73' is great!

74' is awesome

89' kicks some serious ass

spring/summer 90' destroys minds

fall - sept 87...there are some sick shows in this pocket, really killer.

June 30/July 1 85' are some serious sh!t!

77' ...obviously

....i love this thread!

So I grabbed a bunch more stuff from '72-'74, some stuff from '76-'78 and some stuff from '89-'91. I had a listen to some mid 70's stuff, but Boob seems to be wasted on blow and Donna wouldn't shut the fu©k up. Mind you, those were some pretty sick Phil years!!

After all the listening, I'd still be forced to say that early 70's & late 80's are the sheeot!!

Late 70's - early 80's got pretty cool when Brent joined the fold too!!

I think there are gems from every year... it's just a matter of finding them!

02-24-74

As if anyone has the time to listen to the first set as well.

Set II

Cumberland Blues, It Must Have Been The Roses, Big River, Bertha, Weather Report Suite Prelude > Weather Report Suite Part 1 > Let It Grow > Row Jimmy > Ship of Fools, Promised Land, Dark Star > Morning Dew, Sugar Magnolia, Not Fade Away > Goin' Down the Road Feeling Bad > Not Fade Away,

E: It's All Over Now Baby Blue

Here we go.

I know I'm gonna get ripped for this, but I'm a veteran of close to 100 Dead shows (yeah, yeah... I'm a West Coast head, so that's all I could catch between my first show in '88 and my last in '95!!).

That being said... I've changed my opinion about the best Dead shows of all time. My new favorite shows are the Dark Star Orchestra's renditions of the Dead's most historically classic shows... and here's why.

They have better gear, better effects racks & BETTER SINGING VOICES. They're not wasted on drugs, the recordings are EXEMPLARY and they're just an incredibly skilled band.

I know, I know... it's absolute sacrilige to say this. However, if you download some of the recent DSO shows from the archives, you will understand what I'm speaking of. They do such an amazing job of recreating The GD that if I didn't know better, I would think their shows were the best recordings of the most amazing Dead shows ever.

Check out this sh!t before you SHRED ME TO BITS!!!

I know it's not the same. They're a tribute band and didn't write the material... but they perform the material at the highest quality when I need to compare it to anyone else... even The Dead themselves.

Check out this show and judge for yourselves...

Dark Star Orchestra w. special guest Steve Kimock

The Staircase

Pittston, PA

September 4, 2003

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=6901&from=browsePopular