backbacon

aae.jpg

Bruce Hornsby Solo

7/26/04

Glenn Gould Studios,

CBC Broadcasting Centre,

Toronto, ON

from www.bruuuce.com:

Intro > Spider Fingers > Tempus Fugit > Spider Fingers, Hooray for Tom, Gonna be Some Changes Made, (Purple Rain - audience tease - Prince in town the next night), Night on the Town > Little Red Corvette > Goldberg > Night on the Town, Let it Bleed, End of the Innocence > Song F, Rainbow's Cadillac, What the Hell Happened, Sticks and Stones, The Way It Is, Q&A, Wharf Rat > Valley Road, Country Doctor, Fields of Gray > The Road Not Taken > How Far Am I From Canaan, Song C > Sad Moon, King of the Hill > Big Boss Man > (Rachmaninoff piece) > King of the Hill

Encore: Shadow Hand, Mandolin Rain > Black Muddy River

I do believe he played a bit of Raspberry Beret, not Little Red Corvette.

Very intimate show. The crowd was absolutely silent when Bruce was playing. the sound was great. Maybe 300 people there or so. I could be off by a couple hundred. Great to see everyone there! In order of appearance: Palace Princess, Stu Dog, Carrgo, Velvet, Bouche, Ms. Huxtable, \/\/illy, Pete and Tasha, secondtube, Douglas. Oh shoot, I'm probably forgetting some people.

Bruce seemed to be having a pretty good time. Towards the start of the show, I thought Bruce was going to get into a little bit of Q&A as he got up and walked to the front of the stage. Instead he just walked down the two steps to the floor, walked up to bouche in the front row and shook his hand and gave ms. hux a little nod. I thought for sure y'all had met him before the show or something. crazy.

I'm quite sure there is a recording floating around out there somewhere. I hope that surfaces some time soon. Also, I noticed there are a couple songs for download at the bruuuce.com site.

Hanging out at Mr. Dress-up's Treehouse after the show was fun and exciting!

aah.thumb.jpg

Here are some pics that I took:

Bruuuuce!!

It was "Raspberry Beret" not "Little Red Corvette." Did Hornsby do "Wharf Rat" or "Scarlet Begonias?" During the Q&A the guy yelled out "When are you going to play 'Scarlet Begonias'? And how hard is it going to kick my ass?" Then Hornsby went into the next song. Which one was it?

Thanks for the pics backbacon!

(whine) I wanna go back.... (/whine)

What an amazing variety of spectacular music we experienced! I've been asked twice already which was my favorite (Bruce, Keven Breit, or Prince), but I couldn't possibly pick 1! They are all so different and equally enjoyable for me.

Thanks again Sharon for the sweet suite!

So many wonderful memories, never to be forgotten...

I feel overwhelmed and refreshed!!!

Any time sweet cheeks errrrr Dougie. It sure wouldn't have been the same without you and Velvet there to keep me laughing.

I have to agree with you about the sweet music we got to see. Unreal!

I really loved when Hornsby played my request "Black Muddy River". I had tears falling down my cheeks. He had me laughing as well. What a guy.

Prince, well I'm sure I'll find a better thread to post my thoughts on him. I will tell you that it was one of the greatest concert experiences of my entire life!!!

What a great vacation.

Did Hornsby do "Wharf Rat" or "Scarlet Begonias?"

Yeah, the first question of the Q&A "I just wanna know if you're going to play Scarlet Begonias and how good it's going to be?!" He practically yelled the question at Bruce. Bruce explained it wasn't a solo piano song but had something else that might suffice. He then went into Wharf Rat. That was the end of the Q&A session. :)

Damn that was a beautifully wonderful evening that started with gold and ended in well....gold.

I found the entire start of the performance to be a strange experience. After talking with TimmyB for a few minutes about what to request, I kept saying, "I'd really like to request one of his tunes, Spider Fingers, but he'll probalby play it anyway, so I'll think of something else." So I wrote 'PRINCE!' in big letters and put it on the pile. Sharon wrote down "Black Muddy River", which we had heard on the ride to Toronto from a show I had downloaded, which had given both of us huge chills. Incidentally, it came out of 'Mandolin Rain' there as well.

Bruce comes out and starts a BRUUUUUCE chant a little bit into his own mic and mentions that his entire setlist is already put together, thanks to the pile. I don't remember him actually starting with a request, but after warming up he went into Spider Fingers. That's when I noticed the mics not far abover our seats. It made me wonder if Bruce was sitting backstage listening to the chatter picked up on the mic's :)

Of course, he manages to pick out PRINCE! from the pile within 2 more songs and gives us the 'little known fact' that Bruce started his career playing as a sideman for Sheena Easton. He did what he could with purple rain and moved on.

Strange enough as I thought that he had already singled me out musically, the man gets up for some major applause. I know I was making some big 'ol noise there and we made some eye contact which somehow gave him the urge to come down and shake my hand to say "How are you doing my man?", nod to Sharon and go back to his pianer.

He showcased alot of his talent that night with his 20 fingers and all.

I wish I had brought my camera, but Backbacon came through with some photos. So we have some memories saved.

That Kevin Breit show afterwards was VERY enlightening!

You guys are lucky to have a great thing going weekly. However, I'm sure if we had a monday night thing like that here, I'd be very tired for work every tuesday.

It was great seeing so many of y'all on Monday. Backbacon, Palace Princess, S2Doggy, Pete 'n' Tasha, TimmyB, Willy, Mary, Serena & Paul, Jaimoe, Can-O-Phish, and meeting that crazy guitar player Kevin Breit. YOWZERS!

BTW, thanks for the Sisters of Euclid disc Can-O-Phish! I can't wait to help spread that one around.

fast times at ridgemont high! sorry for bringing this thread (& surely others to follow) back outta what's history now, but i just got back from a few days at the beach. anyway.

what a night! it takes true talent to hold an audience that captive & brucie baby sure shone right through that one. and as if being treated to such a night of musical delight wasn't incredible enough, getting to hang low at chateau du casey & finnegan was an unexpectedly delicious bonus! wow, i am still in shock... just WOW! I TOUCHED WHERE CASEY & FINNEGAN LIVED! heeheehee. one day i wanna hit that cbc museum up when it's open, peering through windows at the set of the friendly giant & seeing a bona fide wallclock from fraggle rock was exciting, but lo and behold, rumour has it the actual tickle trunk is locked safely inside. i wanna see if i'll fit. hahaha.

but back to the night, so nice to see so many lovely skancs aboard too! great representation of the ottawa crew, and a few of the more local favourites too. this was definitely one of those nights that did not end, rather jumped from place to place with great folks along for each step of the festivities. huge, huge thanks to the unstoppable M for the post-kevin breit after party & place to crash (well, i guess "briefly nap long after the sun has risen" would be a more accurate description... i knew as soon as she brought out the tassled party pumps it was allllll over :D). what a way to kick off a week... now that's what i call a monday! ::