Jambands.ca

time machine

shitidiot

if you had a time machine and could go to any musical event from the past, where would you go.

for me Monterrey Pop Festival 1967

......Between the 16th and 18th of June in 1967, over 200,000 young people went to the Monterey Fairgrounds in Northern California for the First Annual Monterey International Pop Music Festival. There has not been another since that infamous weekend. The Monterey Pop Festival was the first rock festival ever. It was a good two years before Woodstock. Thirty-one bands showed up to give their music to the masses. The musicians played for free and all benefits went to charity. Bands from the United States and all over the world joined together to play music 24 hours a day in promotion of "Music, love, and Flowers", the festival's motto. Performers arrived from Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York, Chicago, England, and even India to rock during this three day festival.

......The Association, The Blues Project, Big Brother and the Holding Company with Janis Joplin, The Electric Flag with Mike Bloomfield, Booker T and the MG's with the Bar-Kays, Eric Burdon and the Animals, The Paul Butterfield Blues Band, The Byrds, Country Joe and the fish, Grateful Dead, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Jefferson Airplane, Al Kooper, The Mamas and The Papas, Hugh Masekela, The Steve Miller Band, Scott McKenzie, Moby Grape, Laura Nyro Ravi Shakar, Simon and Garfunkel and the Who are only some of the bands who joined in Monterey California for one of the most influential and controversial festivals in history.

......The festival was based around the same principles that the original Woodstock would later be based upon. Musicians from all over the world put aside their differences ad performed on one stage to an eager audience. Everyone seemed to forget everything else that was happening in the world and concentrated on the peace and love that they felt in Monterey. They forgot about student protests, the Cold War, Vietnam, race riots, poverty, and everything else that was wrong in the world and dove into the music. The performers as well as the audience were moved by the intense feelings and changed that were occurring. They were perfectly aware that they were experiencing the dawn of a new age.

......The Monterey Pop Festival opened doors that were previously unimaginable. Doors that no one knew existed. Young people surged on, energized by the new freedom that they had found. However, many older people resented the changes and wanted everything to stay the same. They did not want their children to have new freedom that they were not privileged enough to experience. Most were astounded at the radical views that Hippies had. They found them inappropriate and improper and wished no one had ever opened those doors. However, once opened the doors could not close and the Civil Rights movement gained strength.

......The Monterey Pop Music Festival was a place where newly founded beliefs could expand and people who believed could join together. The audience, musicians, and types of music were highly diverse. Musicians came from all over the world bringing rock, jazz, R&B, soul, and the blues to one place. The Monterey Fairgrounds in Northern California.

One of either festivals would be great by me.

[color:"blue"]First choice:

[color:"red"]Newport Folk Festival 1965.

dylan_at_newport.jpg

Bob Dylan with the Paul Butterfield Blues Band At The Newport Folk Festival in 1965.

Newport Folk Festival Line-Up

But in '65 it was something new. The Newport Folk Festival had never permitted electric instruments; when Dylan plugged in, organizers and fans were shocked. Folk musician Pete Seeger attempted to unplug Dylan by unsuccessfully attacking the power generator with an axe. The annoucer's voice cracks before Maggie's Farm: "ladies and gentleman the person who's gonna come up now has... a limited amount of time." Only "the person" wasn't one person, but a full rock 'n' roll band, with drums, electric guitars, a bass, all played loud. The crowd is restless and eventually applauds.

The first electric show by Bob Dylan

[color:"blue"]Second choice:

[color:"red"]The Grateful Dead

The Allman Brothers Band

The Band

Watkins Glen festival

July 28 1973

The largest crowd that ever gathered for a rock festival did so at Watkins Glen,

New York, in July of 1973. Outdrawing the previous high at Woodstock almost two

to one, more than 600,000 young people sardined themselves into Watkins Glen

Grand Prix Raceway for a single-day festival known as the Summer Jam. Featured

groups were the Grateful Dead, the Allman Brothers, and the Band.

Each of the three groups at Watkins Glen played unusually long sets. The Grateful Dead performed for five hours, the Allman Brothers for four, and the Band for three, including a thirty-minute break due to a thunderstorm. Woodstock had had a continuous change of musical formats and styles. Each time a new act stepped out in front of the massive crowd, a revitalization occurred, creating a renewal of faith in the event and in the power of music. Energy was forced to flow.

The Summer Jam at Watkins Glen

Well instead of going back in time to experience an era i wasn't alive for I think i'd use my time machine coupon for the one show i always wanted to have hit...my only show regret...the only one i actually feel for having missed...

it was that time mom wouldn't let me have the car. i was so close...i had the promised miracle, I had gas and food paid for...I had a cool girl to go on a trip with that i really didn't know...i wish i'd have had the experience at OSWEGO.

I've never seen phish and don't really feel bad about THAT...it was that show...i know my life would've been seriously altered if i'd have gone to Oswego. Maybe it's best as is but I think that'd have been a really amazing time.

if it has to be way back, i say Zappa at the monteraux jazz festival...

Smoke on the Water, baby.

I always wished I was at this show:

Blues Traveler/Spin Doctors (seamless sets)

October 31st, 1990

The Marquee, New York, NY

Yo Mama's a Pajama

Jimmy Olsen's Blues

Refrigerator Car

Hey Dick

Two Princes

Lady Kerosene

Hungry Hamed's

Cleopatra's Cat

At This Hour

Shinbone Alley>

Band Segue Jam>

Gina

Mulling It Over

Black Cat Jam>

Crystal Flame

Gotta Get Mean>

Brother John>

Gloria>

Gotta Get Mean>

Band Segue Jam>

Forty Or Fifty

Yo Baby

Freeway Of The Plains

What Time Is It?

Rosetta Stone

Off My Line>

Band Segue Jam>

But Anyway

Onslaught

100 Years

Alone

Sweet Talking Hippie

Mountain Cry

And So It Goes>

Mother Funker

Peace,

Mr. M.

Been trying to think of a witty, erudite answer but I can't.

I'm just happy to be living today and I think we live in very interesting times, politically, culturally, artistically and spirritually.

Having said that, I'd like to go back to about 4 hours ago when I was cuddled up under the duvet with a cool Fall morning breeze drifting in instead of here at work with all these spermwastes.

one of the Palo Alto bashes held by the Merry Pranksters with legal doses, Neil Cassidy, Kesey, Grateful Dead and a slew of soon to be famous literary, artistic and musical folks

Ohh yeah, that would have been cool! I'd love to have been at one of those Acid Test raves.

All those festivals sound great Woodstock, Montery, Isle of Wight etc... I'm sure they would have been amazing shows. But... I hate giant crowds like that, plus all the mud etc... Yeah an Acid Test it is...

The show that I'd like to go back in time to see would be any of The Who/Jimi Hendrix double-bills of 1966/67.

Also,

Robert Johnson playing in a juke-joint in Mississippi in the 1930's would be unbelievable, in a scary and beautiful way.

The Band Of Gypsies @ The Fillmore.

The Who Tommy Tour 1969.

Any concert with the Miles Davis Quintet: Miles, John Coltrane, Philly Joe Jones, Paul Chambers, Red Garland.

Any concert with John Coltrane, but especially with members Elvin Jones, Paul Chambers and the unbelievable McCoy Tyner.

The Allman Brothers Live At The Fillmore East 1971, or any show with Duane Allman.

The Who Live @ Leeds 1970, or any show from that tour.

The Grateful Dead with Pigpen, preferably when Ron was relatively healthy - say circa 1967-69.