Jambands.ca

RS Article: Wal-Mart vs. Music

MarcO

The key to turning around the downtowns of cities like Hamilton, Brantford and Kitchener is to get people living there. People who live in the downtown core will shop there, rather than hopping in the car and driving to suburban malls. One of the things that will draw people to live in the downtown core is a plethora of businesses and shops - so it's a bit of a Catch-22. You need to people to attract the businesses, but you need businesses (among other things) to attract the people.

Hey Paisley, it's also very important that businesses with unique products can be attracted to locate in the core. Businesses with large numbers of employees must be encouraged to locate in a city core too, so downtown shops will remain functional and profitable.

don't I know it, the city has consistently cut back support for local arts and entertainment over the last few decades (the same period of time the core has been dying, though I'm sure thats just a coincidence)... from the Festival of Friends to any corner of local culture and community events, all they support are black tie affairs for city officials and developers to congregate at and homogenous family festivals... I'm going to be seeking sponsorship from the city for a website promoting the lesser known side of Hamilton culture but am not terribly optimistic, figure it'll be easier getting support from the steel mills and hamilton hydro etc.

the city looks at almost everything exactly opposite as I and many here do... unfortunately middle class families want malls and control the vote

edit to add: ok, that made no sense to what I replied to... downtown is suffering from government workers being moved out of the core into the burbs... as far as I'm concerned every nickel of the expressway funds should be channeled into subsidizing business downtown

ps. thanks for the thought provoking points

You are bang-on Hamilton. People have to live downtown, then businesses will want to locate there.

As much as I despise the condo developement that plagues downtown Toronto, they do bring in people who have urban core purchasing power. I just wish architecture and urban/waterfront planning would fit into the equation more often.

A few weeks back there was a CBC program on the travel time kids are spending on the bus to get to and from school. I believe the average time in some regions is 45 minutes each way, owing in part to existing school closures and lax zoning rules that are placing new schools less frequently in new developments. On top of that you have developers telling prospective buyers that a school will be nearby when nothing is actually confirmed.

Most amazing about this program were some of the callers who insisted that their children ought to not require two buses, and why isn't the school board booking more buses to ship their kids into school and all of this surface-level complaining. There was only a brief glimmer of hope when an urban planner from Hamilton called in and asked why some of these callers had decided to live so far from their children's school in the first place? Or, if the child came along a little later, why didn't they move closer to the school instead of burdening those who had kids walk to school with more taxation for their benefit?

The key to turning around the downtowns of cities like Hamilton, Brantford and Kitchener is to get people living there.

Here, here! One of the things that scares me the most about American cities that should be very cool, like Syracuse which has a big university and some good local music and beers and whatnot, is that the city centres shut down after 6 pm! We had a hell of a time finding a place to have a big and a brew when we were in Syracuse for a show a few years back. We did eventually discover a student ghetto where there were cool bars and even a great indie record store, but I'll tell you it took some searching.

One of the reason I think condos are actually a really good idea is 'cus they keep everyone from moving to the cookie-cutter-car-centric suburbs. AND if they're done right, you can have decent retail on the first floor, but unfortunately they're often not done right.

- M.

Jaimoe I hear you about the waterfront development. I have a friend staying in one of them (Citiplace) and while they give off a creepy big brother feel, they are bringing people downtown and that's a great thing. I've been told that the company putting those up is planning to have 19(!) of them across the waterfront in the next 10 years.

Actually Jaimoe it's funny you mention Indigo 'cus the first one I ever encountered was in your old hometown, Kingston, back in '98 when I was doing some grad work at Queen's. At the time I remember thinking it was a very cool concept and I sat in there for hours studying and drinking coffee.

- M.

The thing that makes Kingston different than some other cities is that usually typical mall stores are located in the core: eg. Roots, The Gap and Indigo are all downtown and are forced to blend in to the core. However, Indigo destroyed all independent book stores in the city save one: A Novel Idea. Roots and The Gap have not destroyed independent clothing stores.

If I may quote Marlyn Manson, when Walmart refused to stock one of his recordings (I think it was Anti-Christ Superstar).

"I don't care. Serious music fans don't buy CDs at Walmart. Walmart is where trailer trash goes to buy their toiletries".

That's funny on so many levels. He insults Walmart and trailer trash, and assumes that Marilyn Manson fans are serious about music, and not trailer trash!

calgary.gif

I think if you look up urban sprawl in the dictionary you'll see a picture of calgary. We took a drive yesterday and saw on the very outskirts of town "house's" that where at least 5000 square feet big. Freaking mansions and lots of them. People in the sunshine club don't want a convienient place in the city with a small backyard. they want the huge ranch with four car garage's.

well just so it out there....

i bought a weakerthatns cd a while ago on the net from...

here

and they were awesome!!!

sent me some free stickers, two or three free posters! and best of all

wrote something like...

spencer, hope you really enjoy this great music. thanks for your order., ( in marker on the back of one of the stickers.)

really weird and delightful to get someone actually adding a personal touch these days.