Jambands.ca

Burning Man?

Velvet

The flipside of that coin is that Canadians need to go to the U.S.A. now, more than ever, to spread the word on how cool things are in Canada, and how cool they could be in the U.S.A. if people's attitudes, opinions, and actions changed, just a little bit. Yes, in a sense, going to a country "rewards" the country (and its companies and population) with your presence and money, but I'd like to think it also "infects" them a little bit with your attitudes and opinions.

Aloha,

Brad

Ya, Velvet, K and I told you we would be meeting you at Burning Man "for sure", but I tend to agree with you. I've had enough of that draconian country.

BradM, your points are well taken and make good sense, however, I don't know if I am to be that Canadian who will be down there spreading the good word. (Besides the fact that I can't be bothered to argue with our neighbours to the south, I'm also unarmed.)

The flipside of that coin is that Canadians need to go to the U.S.A. now, more than ever, to spread the word on how cool things are in Canada, and how cool they could be in the U.S.A. if people's attitudes, opinions, and actions changed, just a little bit. Yes, in a sense, going to a country "rewards" the country (and its companies and population) with your presence and money, but I'd like to think it also "infects" them a little bit with your attitudes and opinions.

Aloha,

Brad

Have fun and give my regards to Sauron!

Aloha,

Brad

Have fun and give my regards to Sauron!

Count on it. I'm also gonna shove a coupl'a nero shows up his burnin' ring o' fire... :o

Aloha,

Brad

whatevs... i'd still go.

admittedly my faith in the USA as a country is wavering... things might get a little more nutty on that side of the border. but, many many of the americans i know [almost my whole family as well as lots of close friends] are heavily anti-bush [which is why this boggles me so!] and great folks and i'll still happily go to the states for fun... i sure don't like their leader, though. BOO-USH!!!!!!!

i'd rather go to cuba and support a government that doesn't try to control the whole world!

But supresses its own population?! Perspective people! ::

I agree with meggo. George Bush isn't going to stop me from visiting my friends and family on the other side of the border, nor prevent me from supporting the things I *like* about the USA. I won't practice the same willful blindness as the Republicans.

one reason i would support cuba is that it has more area of organic farming than any other nation on earth, which is really sad considering it's quite a small country. also, i find the motives of the cuban administration to be quite overt which is something i value. the u.s. government just fucks with the minds of the populace through media, popular culture and piss poor education instead of just being honest about its intentions. call me naive, but i like an honest government. as flawed as the cuban system is i have more faith in it than the us administration. i think cuba has more potential for changing itself for the better, instead of letting itself become one of the many banana republics of the u.s.

There are a lot of things I like about the USA. Half of my immediate family being one of them. Believe me it took a long time for my opinion of that country to sink as low as it now is. I honestly hope things get better. Not that Kerry winning would have made that difference, but maybe it would have been a start.

The problems are unfortunately much bigger than that. The poor are so poor. Thats the way that goes and its only getting worse. The low is so much lower than we ever see here. Its scary. I'm not sure things can be turned around either. It would be nice to think they could.

The organic farming movement in Cuba is particularly admirable, but you need to realize that it spread so rapidly out of dire need and because there was a ban on petroleum products (i.e. pesticides). It was a choice made out of necessity and not primarily because Cuba believes organics are the way to go.

The lesson for our neighbours is this: Only when sons and daughters are facing the draft, or the welfare line, or an armed terrorist in their backyard will they vote in change. There is too much distance between most of them and the conflict in Iraq or even the problems at home.

Well, I'm still in. Although now I'll probably head down with a trailer full of everything so I only spend my precious canadian moolah on gas and ice.

What's the skank camp theme? skankiness?? sanctuary (from bushy and the americano way)? hmmm.... i can see it now...."welcome to Camp Canada...sanctuary"

Well, unless The Slip decides to tour Canada exclusively, I will be heading south as often as possible... We're all gonna die sometime, and if the "terrorists" decide that a Slip show is the place to bomb and I'm there, so be it... At least I'll die happy...

I'm not even remotely concerned about terrorists. They'll strike if they choose to strike, and there is no guarantee that sitting here in Whistler will be any safer than anywhere else in this continent.

It's the American authorities and their implementation of the Patriot Act that concerns me. As one who enjoys civil liberties, the US is not the place I want to spend my time.

I'm not even remotely concerned about terrorists. They'll strike if they choose to strike, and there is no guarantee that sitting here in Whistler will be any safer than anywhere else in this continent.

It's the American authorities and their implementation of the Patriot Act that concerns me. As one who enjoys civil liberties, the US is not the place I want to spend my time.

exactly! there is very little in american political or economic policy that i agree with so i choose not to support the usa directly as much as possible.

exactly! there is very little in american political or economic policy that i agree with so i choose not to support the usa directly as much as possible.

Isn't it possible, though, to go to the USA and support the people and parts of its economy that you agree with? In every town, there are people and businesses that are eminently cool, and worthy of being supported (e.g., Ben & Jerry's, Magic Hat, heck, just about anything in Vermont :)). I feel that painting every person, every town, and every business with the same "everything in the USA = and is bad as George W. Bush" brush is the kind of thing that we, as reasonable Canadians, should fight against.

And there's very little that'll stop me from going to moe.down next year. :)

Aloha,

Brad