Jambands.ca

top 5 live rock 'n' roll albums

shitidiot

1) rth-0472.jpg Band of Gypsies

Band of gypsies documents one of Jimi's classic moments on stage at the Fillmore East in New York City on New Year's Eve, 1970. Though it serves now as a requiem, the album started its life as the promise of birth. Jimi had grown tired of his poppier arrangements and was ready to thrust himself into a new experimentatal stage with his two-man band of Buddy Miles and Billy Cox abreast. The Fillmore East performances suggested that Jimi was moving into new territories. He had established a platinum reputation, and the only thing left to hold him back was his own imagination. Band of Gypsies shows us how far that imagination may have gone, had it not been so hastily ripped from our presence.

2)

lw_2.gif

The Band's farewell gig was held at Winterland in San Francisco on Thanksgiving 1976. Guests from all periods of their career were invited to participate. The luminaries included Bob Dylan, Van Morrison, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Muddy Waters, Eric Clapton, and Paul Butterfield. The four-hour concert was one of the most spectacular in rock history. Utilizing horns one more time, this was the gig of the Band's life and one of the greatest in rock history

3) datdliveatthefillmore.jpg Deric and the Dominos- Live at Fillmore

That album featured three other musicians--bassist Carl Radle, keyboardist Bobby Whitlock, and drummer Jim Gordon. The collective proceeded to baptize themselves Derek and the Dominos, An anguished lament of unrequited love. Layla was inspired by a difficult love triangle between Clapton, his close friend George Harrison, and Harrison's wife Pattie (she and Clapton eventually married in 1979 and divorced in 1988). Unfortunately, personal struggles and career pressure on the guitarist led to a major heroin addiction. Derek and the Dominos crumbled during the course of an American tour and an aborted attempt to record a second album.

4) alb_leeds.jpg Live At Leeds - The Who

Live at Leeds (1970) is The Who's first live album, and indeed is their only live album that was released while the band was still recording and performing regularly. If you like your rock & roll kind of raw, this is the album for you. Perhaps because of these circumstances, perhaps because The Who were hyped up due to their international success with Tommy, or perhaps simply because The Who were a first-rate live act at the time, Live at Leeds turned out to be an astonishing good live recording. The music is loud and brash, but never sloppy; delicate studio tunes such as "Tattoo" and "Happy Jack" are carried just as well as the proto-metal sound of such rocking tunes as "Substitute" and "Summertime Blues". The listener is never treated to the feeling that the band is rushing through pro forma renditions of old warhorses.

5) alb_allman.jpg At Fillmore East - The Allman Brothers Band

Recorded live at the Fillmore East, New York, New York on March 12-13, 1971.

The original Fillmore East album is one of the finest live documents of the rock era, capturing the original line-up of one of the 70s' tightest outfits before they were cruelly robbed of Duane Allman and Berry Oakley. Taken from five 1971 performances at New York's fabled Fillmore East, the extended and effortlessly melodic workouts of 'In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed' and 'Whipping Post' remain definitive recordings. The dual guitar interplay of Duane Allman and Dickey Betts glides effortlessly over the propulsive rhythm section of Oakley and twin drummers Jaimoe and Butch Trucks, while Greg Allman's powerful blues voice and melodic keyboard work provides the icing on the cake.

others

You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore vol. 1 - Frank Zappa

The '68 Comeback Special - Elvis Presley

Live: Right Here, Right Now - Van Halen

Live Rust - Neil Young & Crazy Horse

Top five for me anyway,I excluding Dylan since I could name five of his alone and also the Grateful Dead,to hard to choose.

No particular order.

18p22854.jpg

Delaney,Bonnie & Friends on tour with Eric Clapton - Delaney & Bonnie

000881.jpg

Waiting For Columbus - Little Feat

Last%20Waltz%203.jpg

The Last Waltz - The Band

live_at_watkins_glen_shadow.jpg

Live At Watkins Glen - The Band

14blocksallman.jpg

Live At The Filmore East - ABB

Theres alot more I equally love but to pick only five.

edit to add album pics

My list changes as I get older, but for today, here's my list:

1. Live At Leeds - The Who

2. Kick Out The Jams - The MC5

kotjsleeve.jpg

3. The Band Of Gypsies

4. The Allman Brothers Live @ The Fillmore East

5. James Brown: Live @ The Apollo 1962

jb1.gif

My next 5:

6. Live/Dead - The Grateful Dead ( The Dead could occupy all Top 5 spots on any given day for me )

7. The Last Waltz - The Band

8. Get Yer Ya Ya's Out - The Rolling Stones

9. BBC Sessions - Led Zeppelin

10. You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol. II - Frank Zappa & The Mothers

d65894fv394.jpg

Worth noting:

Only the sound quality makes this not a Top 10 album for me:

television.jpg

This kicks serious ass too:

966.jpg

In alphabetical order,

THE BAND "The Last Waltz" (The Mammoth 4-CD Chronicle)

CROSBY, STILL, NASH & YOUNG "4 Way Street" (Expanded 2-CD Set)

BOB DYLAN "Live 1966 The Bootleg Series Vol. 4 The 'Royal Albert Hall' Concert" (2-CD Set)

VAN MORRISON "It's Too Late To Stop Now" (2-CD Set)

BURCE SPRINGSTEEN & THE E STREET BAND "Live 1975-85" (3-CD Set)

Man shitidiot's list pretty much sums it up for me, though I would mess with the order a bit, putting the Bros closer to the top...but Band of Gypsies tops it off for me too. Does anybody have the 2-CD set they released a while ago? The record is good on vinyl, but this 2CD set has alternates of pretty much all the tunes, it is WORTH picking up if Band of Gypsies is your thing.

Also I have to give an honourable mention to Zappa/Mothers Roxy and Elsewhere.

Also I have to give an honourable mention to Zappa/Mothers Roxy and Elsewhere.

Damn it. I'd like to drop my Zappa You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol II and in it's place, add Roxy & Elsewhere. I love that album and it was the first Zappa I ever bought. " Penguin In Bondage " is as good as it gets.

yeah, but in the pre-internet days I did myself serious hearing damage listening to Page's solos over and over off of it so have to include it in my list... there is a nice Since I've Been Loving You on it and the Dazed and Confused extended solo still gives me wood

Since I'be Been Loving You wasn't on the album, it was in the movie but Celebration Day (not in the movie) was the token LZ3 song on the album

RnB