Jambands.ca

Nero - Night 2

Booche

Nero.jpg

You know, it is true to say that these two nights were one long show. Entering the bar, it felt like we had never left. Nero obviously was primed to play the 'next set will be better' and proved it. I gush more than most people, and am aware of it, but seriously kids. Get these fu©king tapes. Especially tonight's.

Opening with 401, it quickly became apparent that our boys were bringing their A-game. They were on top, and solidly playing, unlike we have felt in Ottawa for quite some time. Thing is, we dont get alot of shows though.

Whispy reinforced this feeling. There was a jam inside of these 2 songs helping us all recognize that Lauzon was ready to write. He really played feverishly. Hundred and four all the way.

The Year Of..........

Seriously, what year is it? This was a song I had yet heard. It is of the 'heavy' vein much like the newer material and style has become. What a great song, leading into another one, Medicated. This song has my favorite Nero riff.

na na na na na na na na na na na (growling) naaaaaaaaaaaaa

Sooooooooooo damn dirty.

Trip.jpg

Lauzon had a furious fire burning, and nothing was going to put it out. Heck, the Punk and Jay kept fueling the mother-fu©ker. Chocolate Monkey Machine went into 3rd Stone From The Sun, heading back into our set opening 401. What a perfect set of music!

Condor beautifully introduced the second set. Is there anything better than this original? I think not, its my favorite Nero song, encompassing all they are. At one point, Dave was imploring the idea that harmonics can be perfected, while short, leading into yet another 'heavy jam'. The weight of it all was taking its toll on me, and I was getting teary-eyed, knowing this was going to be the last set I would ever experience at the Dekcuf with my favorite Canadian band. Preciously as I was feeling this, the Sloth turned to me and said "I cant believe we are losing this." Profoundly, I felt how sad we are that Nero is leaving us, but will never truely leave us.

We are them, and they are us.

Bubbles.jpg

That must have been close to a 25 minute version. It was my 'goodbye'. As soon as they ended it, Jay came from behind his drum kit to thank all of us, thank the Deckuf (saying they played their first show there on April 17th, 1997, having done over 120 shows in that room). Obviously, we cheered madly, then the Punk requested Todd to take his spot on the stage.

BOOYAKASHA BABY!

Their cover of Ween's Transdermal Celebration was nothing short of brilliant, slaying the local Ottawa wooks by some sort of proverbial sword. It certainly caused a mutation, that I can guarantee. The Punk sang it with gusto, and we lapped it up, even though it was obvious most people didnt know whom they were hearing.

Todd reared his rock-star head, and provided us with yet another uniquely played Cat's On Crack (I am pretty sure that is not the name of it, and I think it may be called Pumpkin, but dont quote me on nothing). Tour men do indeed rock and "all my fish are missing" as well. Maybe not just yet, but after NYE'04, they will be. It truly felt great seeing that fu©ker onstage for a couple of tunes.

Downside Up > Basheeba > Downside Up led us into the perfect conclusion to the evening, Lemondust. A soundly loopy and underwater version that spell-binded the strongest of minds. Inside of that, My Favorite Things was slightly teased by Dave, reminding me that Todd's inclusion to the evening was finally complete.

A jazzed-up WataBug was our first encore, leading into First Tube, which I hadnt experienced in a loooooong time.

Thank you Nero for playing the Dekcuf one last time (or is that two?). Seeing Whitey brought it all back home, I mean, shouldnt you guys pay him? I swear, a few times, I heard notes coming out of his air-guitar.

Punk.jpg

I love all of you................thanks for making this one short, long trip.

Guest Low Roller

Dekcuf has a MARQUEE??! How long have I been away??!

I'm gonna miss the Nero. It was one of the few times in Ottawa that it was virtually guaranteed that everyone was going to come out, get stinking drunk, laugh and dance all night. Cheers to Nero and cheers to all you Neroheads!

wowsers wowsers. what a night.

the music was off the hook. nero slammed us hard. i couldn't stop boogying for a second.... and so much fun to see velvet rockin it out with them!

soooo awesome to look around the room and feel the warmth of the ottawa crew, which does feel like a family to me even though i've only lived here for a short while... and for this i am indescribably [is that a word?] grateful. you guys are amazing. definitely an emotional night for everyone, there was a lot of hugging and understanding looks being exchanged.... bittersweet... i got a little teary after jay's words. nero shows are always special and i know we're all going to miss them, a lot. the music, the boys, the people it brings out and the vibe that is created... we're lucky to have experienced it. somebody get me a tissue! ::

and of course, the whole debauchery & debacle of 40 main, thanks boys for hosting us yet again... i'll leave that one alone, cause as you say, what happens at 40 main stays within the walls of 40 main... i will say, i think we broke down some barriers, hahahahahh....

great to see some ptbro kids out! what a treat!

a million thanks to nero and the ottawa fam.

peas & love

What a night. I had this strange little routine on Saturday. I'd be dancing like crazy and then all of a sudden find myself standing there, staring at nero and thinking about all the great times I've had watching them play. I'd get all emotional and then snap myself out of it and start dancing again. This happened over and over again throughout the night.

As I looked around the room, I thought of how lucky I am to have met all of the Ottawa crew. It seems like the only time everyone makes it out is to see nero, and I find myself wondering if these massive gatherings will happen after New Years. nero brought us all together.

I love you guys, you did an amazing job on Saturday. Pumpkin blew the roof off!

What a night. I had this strange little routine on Saturday. I'd be dancing like crazy and then all of a sudden find myself standing there, staring at nero and thinking about all the great times I've had watching them play. I'd get all emotional and then snap myself out of it and start dancing again. This happened over and over again throughout the night.

As I looked around the room, I thought of how lucky I am to have met all of the Ottawa crew. It seems like the only time everyone makes it out is to see nero, and I find myself wondering if these massive gatherings will happen after New Years. nero brought us all together.

I love you guys, you did an amazing job on Saturday. Pumpkin blew the roof off!

You took the words out of my mouth Ms. Hux!! I looked around the room and saw a lot of people doing the same thing.

I just wish my flight delay hadn't caused me to miss the first set and Friday night. At least I made it!

Thanks NERO!!! Can't wait for NEW YEARS!!