Jambands.ca

Dear Mr. Bush

Velvet

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from you, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind him that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the specific laws and how to best follow them.

a) When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev 1:9). The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

B) I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

c) I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev 15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

d) Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

e) I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

f) A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an Abomination (Lev 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

g) Lev 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

h) Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev 19:27. How should they die?

i) I know from Lev 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

j) My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? (Lev 24:10-16) Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help.

Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your devoted disciple and adoring fan.

(found on the internet, author unknown)

Though as a believer in Jesus Christ I must point out that all of these passages come from the Old Testament. Christians are to follow the New Testament, not the Old.

What does the Bible really say about homosexuality? Actually, very little (The book of Paul is most frequently sited). Yes Leviticus is from the First Testament (added rather late in history I might add) - I was under the impression that Christians do refer to it when banning homosexuality. I would also like to point out that Christians do follow aspects of the old testament - Genesis and the creation theory for example...

As a non evangelical Christian I would like to point out that I do not prescribe to the belief of creationism. Neither do any other of my fellow Christian friends that I associate with that are educated and more tolerant than evangelicals.

whats better about the 'new' testiment...

wouldn't the old one be 'more true'???

hiiiidunno

The New Testament starts with the birth of Jesus Christ. The Old Testament is what leads up to Christs birth.

IMO Christians should follow Christs teaching in the Gospels which are found in the New Testament.

This thread has really shown me my ignorance. All this time, I thought Jesus was Jewish, and would have followed the Old Testament, and that he based his teachings on that. (Maybe he wasn't very religious; more of a non-practicing Jew?)

Of coarse Jesus Christ was Jewish and he followed the teachings of the Old Testament. But Jesus also changed things. Jesus changed the laws of the Old Testament as hamilton noted above.

From Matthew 5:43-48

Love for Enemies

43 "You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor (from Lev. 19:18) and hate your enemy.' 44 But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes the sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward do you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your brothers, what are doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Amen.

This thread has really shown me my ignorance. All this time, I thought Jesus was Jewish, and would have followed the Old Testament, and that he based his teachings on that. (Maybe he wasn't very religious; more of a non-practicing Jew?)

IIRC, he's referred to as "Rabbi" once or twice in the New Testament, which should mean he was a practising Jew.

Aloha,

Brad

Like plenty have pointed out, Bush et al spout religiosity but rarely utter the name of Jesus, nor do they mention any of Jesus' concepts or ideas.

unrelatedly:

My opinion is that Jesus was a helluva Jew, but he was no Christian, and given the option, Jesus would have encouraged the future fathers of Christianity not to start their own church.

But that's not the point of the post, and I will stop trying to hijack my own thread.

I think the best way to look at the Gospels are that they teach (Jesus taught people) good morals --> "All you need is Love"

So heck, anyone can benefit from that.

In my experience, the real challenge for those who are religious is to ignore the heavy guilt and to focus on the love. If people can do that, they will be way happier.

I always liked the don't hide your light under a bushel parable too... thats a nice one ;)

Right after Christ died two camps developed, the Literalist Camp (which became militarised and material oriented, and began the Holy Roman Catholic Church) and the Gnostics (who based knowledge of God on direct experience and took only the new testament to be true initially).

Bush is a Freemason and therefore the character of his Christianity is come down through the Gnostic, persecuted faithful. All presidents have been linked to Freemasonry and the religion itself stems from the Gnostics on down through to the Cathars, Bogomils, Rosecrucians and yes The Bavarian Illuminati as well as the Knights Templar. The Templars part of the story is where the old testament came back into play through a re-interpretation of the roles of the prophets.

Essentially, Gnostics were dualists who believed in two Gods. The material God of this world, the God of the Church and the God of evil, darkness and worldly flaws, the creator of our flesh VS. the God of light, Illumination and the creator of our spirit.

This supposedly came down through the master masons of Egypt and the builders of Solomon's temple. Hence the crusades organised by the Templars to regain the holy land and to reestablish "Solomon's Temple" thus "christening" the apocalypse. This is the joint goal of Christainity and Judaism, whereas no such prescription is found in Islam. In fact the site of the Dome of the Rock is where Solomon's temple was said to have sat, and it is also where the Prophet Muhammed is argued to have ascended to Heaven without dying. This rock is said to have been the seat of the Jewish "Ark of the Covenant" during the first temple times (1500 BC ish I think... I'm bad with numbers).

:) We're all gonna die. :)

Not the apocalypse yet but they clearly are waiting for a messiach (messiah) and the only way to get one is to establish the temple (Isreal counts in their opinion). The problem is that Christianity IS waiting for the apocalypse where we will be judged and either admitted to heaven or not. The armageddon they desire also depends on the jews establishing the temple. Therefore they have the same goals for different reasons.

Kind of a bet between them I guess (Messiah, you win. Apocalypse, I win!).

Okay, that is more sensible. Based on my limited knowledge, it was always my view that Jews were, in fact, awaiting the Messiah at which time the dead would rise from their graves. The Torah never mentions "christening" anything and never talks of "the apocalypse". That is why I was surprised. I accept your revised description, however.