Jambands.ca

The Moment - Improv Jams - Musicians Welcome:

Jay Funk Dawg

how to get the hip, serious players out.

how do you keep the noodly jammers to not be so noodly?

sure it's a nice thought, but if there's no direction the only people that'll wind up coming back and back again will be the players.

I know I don't really dig on jam nights for that reason...if another bass player's less than confident i always get the 'no you stay up there' crap...although it's nice to play it's also nice to spread around the time and step back and listen.

i think it'll work for you jay...just get the right people interested...if the humber kids find out about this it'll be ill...if people lose scope you might just get queasy...

not to be a snob...but there's a difference between skill and magic. go for the magic. i'd way rather see a band like diesel dog try new directions and lock us in than go see a band like rush wow me with technical prowess.

I hosted this weekly in montresl for two years before coming back to toronto. While there were times when we had some cutting and blaring, for the most part i knew the musicians playing and vetted the list perosnlly to ensure only people who would sit back and groove got up. plus we have a decent house band all of whom will play all night if neccessary.

sure it's a nice thought, but if there's no direction the only people that'll wind up coming back and back again will be the players.

Have faith in the force young Jedi-Beats, anyone who’s been to Gypsy Mondays lately has felt the power of the truly open JAM.

While I’ve got nothing to plug in, I will certainly bring my Djembe out, in hopes of pretending I had something to do with the “magic” :)

Cheers! (see you soon CB?)

The blues are always welcome as long as I do not hear any recognizable head. Actually I will not be a dick about this. I'd rather hear good music than be a total fascist about the improv only. My main concern is not having bands come and showcase their own songs or set jams. And to avoid the frustration of people like mne trying to remember the changes for tunes while playing - like last night when I tried to remember Jack Straw on the fly at Gypsy Co-op.

BTW - loved the feel at the gypsy jam. Sweet people and good vibe.

A Recognizable head could be simpified as an actual blues song. Use the progression, but make up a head and go from there. The trick is to see what music can just ahppen in the moment. Hopefully it will be good music, but hey...I mean it's just like...Come on!

If the problem is the term head, then the head of a tune is the melody.

I think that we want this night not to be an 'open mike' so much as we want to create an improv forum that will link new musicians together in a open format/freestyle Music of the Moment type night. So we're really pushing the idea of putting the musicians in a position that they have to improvise - meaning the improvise form of the song, the solos and melodies on the spot... because they might have never played together before. Every night of this nature has moments of beautiful musical interaction that doesn't happens when everybody playing rehearsed songs. The Concpet is to feed off eachother's ideas...resulting in a immediate group composition.

Blues will always be a welcomed form, but we're hoping that people keep away from "standards" or non-original repertoire.

David Ball, please come and wail on the blues... I'm all about jamin' with you... that is if you can find a cheap plane ticket from Nashville... :)

An approach I saw that really worked well was in Ottawa way back when, and they had improv with a DJ (Trevor Walker), who would spin some really slick acid jazz or such to start the night, and people would come on gradually and join in. He would fade the tunes and just let the jamming continue, and gradually work new stuff in from time to time (so that it didn't become a 45 minute jam in A minor). 'Course this was with guys who were used to playing together, but hell, it might work otherwise too.

Hey Jaydawg,

I improvise all the time. I've never memorized a solo in my life and I'm not strictly a blues player. Maybe I'll show up and watch for a few weeks and decide then. I don't get the opportunity to play in front of people that much so I'll need to get my chops up before I do. I'll be playing at my staff party in April in front of 500 people or more, so maybe after that I'll be ready.