Jambands.ca

Time to Upgrade Your Phish Toronto 99 Tapes...

secondtube

What can i say? My first show. One of my favorites. After 23 shows, still my only Divided Sky! Misty Mountain Hop! That GHOST!!! Wow!....

So, even though this should be on the BT page, i figured this should be here, viewed by all.

Enjoy, its running FAST!!! (i'm doing 189 kB/s right now)

PHiSH 7/20/99

Molson Ampitheatre, Toronto, Ontario

source: mk4v/m222>nt222>lunatecv2>apogee ad1000>patchbay>d8

transfer: Tascam da20mkII>audiowerk2>soundforge 4.5>wav>cdwav editor>shn

re-tracked and FLAC'd by shakedown/mattstick/etc

DISC ONE

set I:

01. Chalkdust Torture

02. Sample in a Jar

03. Cars Trucks Buses

04. The Sloth

05. The Divided Sky

06. Waste

07. Ghost

DISC TWO

set I (cont):

01. Wilson >

02. You Enjoy Myself*

set II:

03. Crowd Noise

04. Twist

05. Moma Dance

DISC THREE

01. What's the Use?

02. Trainsong

03. 2001

04. Misty Mountain Hop**

encore:

05. Guyute

06. Hello My Baby

*With Caribbean "hey ho" vocal jam.

**First time played (but played in soundchecks since ~1993)

thanks to ianstone for the upgrade and the upload

Official team.week4paug.net 1999 project release - 1/30/2005

Link

It's not that surprising, really, as Phish didn't play Canada* between 1994 and 1999, during which time they went from playing theatres (I saw them at the Congress Centre in Ottawa in 1994) to arenas. For people (e.g., in Southern Ontario) who got to know them as they grew during that time, and who couldn't go on tour (or weren't willing/able to travel to the USA for a show), the 1999 Toronto show was really their first opportunity to see them.

Aloha,

Brad

* Except for a show or two in British Columbia, I think.

Del, each to his own...but longer doesn't mean better...

although 2000 holds it own, especially with the long first set, and the nice Yem and HUGE moma, the 99 show contained SO much goods...

The beauty Divided, the powerful Sloth, the gorgeous YEM outro....

As good as 2000 is, your the first person i've talked to that preferred 2000...not to mention figures it "kicks its arse"...but i'm glad your enjoyed 2000, it was Theresa's first show, and she had a blast...

We were front row with Tooly for the whole show....Toolys got the best trey w/ stupid dumbfuck fan story, lol...

Either way, i wish they would just say fu©k it, and come up here to play one show, just to piss off all the Americans, lol.

Del, each to his own...but longer doesn't mean better...

although 2000 holds it own, especially with the long first set, and the nice Yem and HUGE moma, the 99 show contained SO much goods...

The beauty Divided, the powerful Sloth, the gorgeous YEM outro....

As good as 2000 is, your definately the first person i've talked to that preferred 2000...not to mention figures it "kicks its arse"...but i'm glad your enjoyed 2000, it was Theresa's first show, and she had a blast...

We were front row with Tooly for the whole show....Toolys got the best trey w/ stupid dumbfuck fan story, lol...

Either way, i wish they would just say fu©k it, and come up here to play one show, just to piss off all the Americans, lol.

I too preferred the 2000 Toronto Phish show to the 1999 Toronto show.

Also Steve why do you want "piss off all the Americans?"

Phish are Americans, do you want to piss of them too?

This 99 show has a really great, smooth Ghost and a surprisingly fine little 2001, not too long or "jammy" but with a real nice momentum.

I remember it being a little underwhelming, having come right after Oswego, which was awesome, and given the local anticipation for their first Ontario shows in 5 years. Wasn't disappointing by any means though.

The thing about the 2000 show is it's generous length. First set almost runs 2 hours and the second set isn't exactly brief either. Bug > Piper!!!

07-06-00 Molson Amphitheatre, Toronto, Ontario

1: Reba, Dog Stole Things, Taste, Dog Faced Boy, Heavy Things, Moma Dance, First Tube, I Didn't Know, The Inlaw Josie Wales, Prince Caspian > Golgi Apparatus, You Enjoy Myself (1:50)

2: Limb by Limb, Also Sprach Zarathustra, Bug, Piper, Driver, Harry Hood*, Loving Cup

E: The Squirming Coil

*Trey commented on how beautiful Toronto is.

I'm sure I wasn't the only person at SPAC last June who immediately thought of this Toronto show when they opened the run with Reba. The Toronto Reba is a late-period classic version of the tune but alas the Amphitheatre never got the sound to an acceptable point until well into the first set.

"Also Steve why do you want "piss off all the Americans?" "

its not a why...its just, if it happened, it would...wouldn't it?

just like how Canadians (more specifically me), get pee'd when they dont come here...

But its not like, how can i piss off the americans, its more, how can i see phish.

know what i'm sayin?

"The thing about the 2000 show is it's generous length. First set almost runs 2 hours and the second set isn't exactly brief either. Bug > Piper!!!"

Thats probably it right there....I dont perticularily love Bug or Piper... but man, i was front row for that show...i figured it would have blown me away....

Didn't do what 99 did to me....Not sure why.

Either way, Phish come back to Ontario for just one show....to make us happy.

(better timmyB, lol)

Thanks alot man. 99 was my first show too, and although the 2000 show was good my first was my favorite for sure.

I rememberr distinctly the lit chinese dragons near the water, and spending some time talking to them after the show. The BNB show at Atlantis w/revolving stage was also pretty special.

you remember those chinese dragons?!?!?!?!

FINALLY!

i tell my buddies about that, all the dragons and millions of orientals all around the park saying whose "phheeesh?"

We were all, ummmm, doing it up properly, and i guess i wasn't sure if i was remembering it correctly.

We missed the BNB show afterwards, as we had to hit the last train back to Hammertown....I bet they tore the place up!

Listening to the show again, i CANT wait to get to the YEM outro...off all the YEMs i heard live, Toronto 99 had my favorite Vocal Jam. (BC's was fun...cheesecake!)

Ahhhhh....Divided......

Also maybe one of the reasons why 1999 is better for you than 2000 was because it was your first time. The first time is always special, at least that's what I have heard.

the first time could have been it...

but i figured it would have been evened out by the 2000 factors....2 hour first set, Theresa's first show, Front Row, about 15 of my closest friends all in the 100's...

Trey giggling like a school girl, staring at all us crazy canucks...rambling on about how much he loves Toronto....

Was a memorable night for sure (as were so many phish nights...)

this monster finished downloading last nite, and i cant wait to get home and listen to it now!!!

i wasnt at this show.. my first phish show was the 2000 toronto gig... but i remember hearing about it endlessly from my friends who were there... dont remember why i missed it, but for whatever reason, i guess it just wasnt time yet... man, i love tapers!

1992 @ The Spectrum in T.O. was my first Phish show...it cost me $10 to get in :) If I'm not mistaken, that was the first Canadian gig(?).

4 shows at The Concert Hall in T.O. throughout 93 & 94 were great! The Dude of Life was at one... Some fun times hangin' with Mike at the pizza/sub joint down the road...