Jambands.ca

Gay marriage part of 'ideology of evil,' pope says

SevenSeasJim

From CBC website. Man I love religion.

ROME - Pope John Paul II has released a new controversial book where he suggests same-sex marriage is part of an "ideology of evil" and draws an analogy between abortion and the Holocaust.

The book, his fifth, is titled, Memory and Identity. It covers a range of issues, including his thoughts on the damage wrought by communism and fascism in the 20th century. It's based on conversations with Polish friends.

In one section, he addresses the issue of gay marriage and the pressures on European governments to legalize such unions.

"It is legitimate and necessary to ask oneself if this is not perhaps part of a new ideology of evil, perhaps more insidious and hidden, which attempts to pit human rights against the family and against man," he writes.

"We have to question the legal regulations that have been decided in the parliaments of present-day democracies. The most direct association which comes to mind is the abortion laws."

"Parliaments which create and promulgate such laws must be aware that they are transgressing their powers and remain in open conflict with the law of God and the law of nature."

The pope refers to abortion as the "legal extermination of human beings who have been conceived but not yet born."

Paul Spiegel, the head of Germany's Central Council of Jews, told the Netzeitung daily that such statements show that the Roman Catholic Church "has not understood or does not want to understand that there is a tremendous difference between factory-like genocide and what women do to their bodies."

But Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, the Vatican's top doctrinal official, rejected the idea that the Pope was comparing abortion to the Holocaust.

He said the Pope "was not trying to put the Holocaust and abortion on the same plane" but only warning that evil lurked everywhere, "even in liberal political systems."

[color:"purple"]

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reason #47 why I don't want to work for the Separate Board---this is ridiculous!

But Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, the Vatican's top doctrinal official, rejected the idea that the Pope was comparing abortion to the Holocaust.

He said the Pope "was not trying to put the Holocaust and abortion on the same plane" but only warning that evil lurked everywhere, "even in liberal political systems."

that's funny, I was under the impression that the Church supported the Holocaust to an extent. From what I have read, they did not denounce Hitler nor Germany while the Holocaust was taking place. (perhaps because it would be extremely risky, but then again, they do mortalize their martyrs)

They denounce gay marriage but they protect molesting priests... Wow!

Reason #47 why I don't want to work for the Separate Board

I do work for the separate board. :( I think this is reason #10827 why I want the hell out!!!

It's as scary as they say. I quickly figured out that you don't dare question the decisions that are made around here. If you do, you get the elusive reply, "It's political." Riiggghhhhtttttt, that's why the Catholic kids get to ride the bus and the heathen bastards have to walk to school. Religion creates the ultimate double standard.

Religious organizations certainly have every right to assert their position on whatever they feel to be of relevance. However, this is yet another reminder why these religious organizations should be further marginilized in the political sphere. Let them babble ignorantly but work to take away their teeth.

The Pope smokes dope.

I am utterly perplexed as to why anyone cares about gay marriage.

How does a gay marriage have any effect on anybody else at all? Why do 'people of faith' give a rats-ass? It has absolutely no impact on them.

Bloody meddlesome, petty, weak-minded idiots.

I'm going to guess that they are pissed because it fly's in the face of their belief system. I'm not religious at all, but I do understand that it is a huge issue with "the people of God".

I was brainwashed by the Catholic system for a few years... props to those of you who are striving to avoid it and the damaging ignorance that it spreads. The main problem I have found with casting aside common religion, is being able to maintain any sense of spirituality... I guess that's how I came to love music and this scene so much.

Cheers!

Poster_5473.jpg

Once again, the world's most influential muppet realigns his flock's moral compass.

Weekend at Bernie's 3 - The Vatican Adventure.

GOLD!!!

I find myself a little confused with the gay marriage debate/issue. ON a number of levels..

If same-sex coules are allowed to get married (I know a few married lesbian couples), have the same rights as a straight couple in terms of insurance and plan-benefits, and can have (artifical insem/ adopt) kids .. Is the key issue here that gays want to be recognized by the church? or governemnt? .. who cares about the fu©king church. Is this a fear of god thing? I'm not sure if the legal definition of marriage changing would have impact on a legal union. is that what its about?

Anybody know their sh!t on this?

It really bothers me that this is even something that can be debated in this day and age.. Let people live their lives the way they want to. especially when it doesnt affect anyone else!!

I am utterly perplexed as to why anyone cares about gay marriage.

TomF,

The basic premis is that marriage is a covenent before God, their God (who really doesn't abide butfu@king). Biblical christians and catholics (believe me there is a massive difference) also don't believe that man's law is seperate from God's law. They believe that it is subordinate. They seem to think that the concept of "marriage" belongs to them.

Sucks.

Really, I believe that so much of christianity's cultural dominance has been stripped away that christians have begun to percieve disagreement as an a attack. They will stop at no justification to assert their beliefs because more and more people are...well, not believing.

Cool,

Jef

A lot of people believe in god, but not all the stupid-assed biases, societal rules, organizations, and irrational beliefs/fears/hatreds created by the interpretaional writings of the bible.. I figured most gay folk would be less of a traditional follower to begin with.. . Spiritual and realistic? I guess i am generalizing now.

A lot of people believe in god, but not all the stupid-assed biases, societal rules, organizations, and irrational beliefs/fears/hatreds created by the interpretaional writings of the bible.. I figured most gay folk would be less of a traditional follower to begin with.. . Spiritual and realistic? I guess i am generalizing now.

There are a few churches that serve gays and lesbians who want to hang on to their theology along with their sexual identity - the Metropolitan Community Church and the United Church are the first that come to mind (the Anglicans notoriously embroiled in all sorts of sectarian controversy over it). Power to them, I figure - it can be great ritual, poetic outlet and source for community.

What gets me about all this is the way that conservative churches - Catholics, evangelicals, and so on (not to mention the non-Christians who have jumped into the fray - Sikhs, Jews, Muslims, etc.) - have seized the opportunity to claim marriage as their own proper domain, when historically, it just isn't. Check out the piece about Pamela Dickey-Young (Queen's U.) in last week's Globe and Mail. She should be put on the back of a pickup with a megaphone and driven all over the country with this.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20050212.SAMETHEOLOG12/TPStory