Jambands.ca

Least Favourite Covers of All Time

guigsy

Behind Blue Eyes - Limp Bizkit

Pinball Wizard - Elton John

Every song by Diana Krall

Knockin' On Heaven's Door - Guns & Roses

Any cover by Sheryl Crow, who's seems to be on every tribute album ever made.

Give A Little Bit ( Supertramp )- The Goo Goo Dolls

The Kids Are Alright - Keith Moon

Aside from some of the ones already mentioned (e.g., Madonna's "American Pie", or Limp Bizkit's "Behind Blue Eyes"), I offer up Marilyn Manson's cover of "Personal Jesus": what could be worse than a song you hate, covered in such a way as to make you hate it more?

Aloha,

Brad

Guest Low Roller

Off of the top of my head:

- Iron Man by Busta Rhymes is spectacularly horrible

- Every Breath You Take by Puff Daddy

- Kashmir by Puff Daddy

As mentioned in the other "cover" thread, I'm with Jaimoe on the Diana Krall. Nobody wake her up.

In general, I gotta go with "All Along the Watchtower" for least favourite cover tune by Campfire Carls* (not all campfire guitarists are bad, but you know the kind I'm talking about...)

*The "Campfire Carl" category is so named based on a guy who showed up under our canopy at the Vibes in '03 and proceeded to continue playing and singing despite the fact that he:

a) wasn't any good

and

B) we were actively trying to dissuade him from playing.

This was about the time Flute Girl showed up and it became surreal and somewhat frightening.

For future reference, here are some of the things that did not work in making Carl stop playing:

Dualing drums in complete opposition to Carl's guitar (at the end of the song he gave them some advice, "That was good--but not so loud next time!")

5 of us singing along to (a drastically speeded-up) AC/DC Bag all impersonating Sammy David Jr. (AC/DC Bag, baby, I say, AC/DC Bag...)

"Dude, I hate to burst your bubble, but, could you, like, STOP??"

Sitting here at work and watching the latest Britney Spears video reminded me of the worst cover of all time:

Britney did a cover of I Can't Get No Satisfaction at an awards show a year or so ago. It was sooooo bad. I'm sure Brian Jones rolled over twice in his grave.

there's some good ones in here. and by good i mean bad. not the kind of bad that means good, either.

worst cover of all time?

phish doing ween's roses are free! GGGGGRRRRRRAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! fu©king blasphemy. my gad i am seriously getting pissed off even thinking about this.

i would also like to nominate marilyn manson doing sweet dreams and tainted love as runner ups.

oh and jaimoe, don't forget britney's 'i love rock & roll'. after all she "just loves pat benetar!" (rolling eyes)

Chocolate Jesus doing Julia on the I Am Sam soundtrack ... one of the worst things ever.

Ewwwww!!! I totall forgot about that bastardized soundtrack. Ick! Right you are Skelter! Argh! Covering the Beatles is pretty much wrong. The only cover I can think of that I don't mind is Hey Jude done by The Mutato Muzika Orchestra (from the Royal Tenenbaums). Could be because that's one of my all-time favourite flicks though. ::

oh and jaimoe, don't forget britney's 'i love rock & roll'. after all she "just loves pat benetar!" (rolling eyes)

You just made me stop from eating my soup in mid-sip.

While the spoon is down, one that can't be ignored is Pat Boone's brutal take on Little Richard's " Tutti Frutti ".