Jambands.ca

4 RCMP officers killed in pot bust

dave-O

yeah I hear you Esau... Premiere Klein is saying that this is the tip of an iceberg as organized crime begins to move its operations out to the country where there are less people to notice their actions... and the mayor of the city is saying they don't usually have to deal with this sort of thing so might have flubbed it some

[edit:] after reading AD's comments that they walked into the grow-op by accident I'll retract that they should've been better prepared... same as walking in on a murder, they cornered someone without realizing they were doing so and got caught off gaurd

in any case, very sad story for those farm community boys who likely meant to do well

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The RCMP said the ordeal began Wednesday, when two of their members went to Roszko's residence with a court order to seize property. While there, they discovered a marijuana grow operation.

RELATED STORY: RCMP shootings 'hurt the heart' of Alberta community

Two officers remained overnight Wednesday to secure the area and wait for members of the Edmonton RCMP Auto Theft Unit to search the property for stolen goods.

its says right there that the knew the grow room was there the day before, they were waiting for back up and warrents beofre they went in, in fact 2 officers waited there over night while the other cops got organised,, that seems to me like they should have had enuogh time to organize something better the 4 cop with standar armour and side arms to go in alone.

especially if you read the articles about the guys past with weapons and the police

"He would certainly have had an indisposition toward RCMP officers."

"When Roszko was a teenager, he and a friend robbed a gun shop, according to his brother, George Roszko. "

""He's dangerous," said one woman, who didn't want to give her name. "You don't want to go on his land. He'll shoot you."

In 1999, he was charged with firing on two trespassers with a 12-gauge shotgun, but those charges were dismissed, Sun Media reported. "

"

He was due in court next month facing charges of mischief for damaging vehicles by the use of spike belts on his property. "

if i were a cop going there for any reason you bet i'd be in a swat truck with somthing more the a side arm

This is clearly sparked alot of crazy posts on the internet.

I read posts on the cannabis culture forums yesterday which was linked off of www.bourque.com, and it painted a really dirty picture what some weed-lovers believe.

Since yesterday, they have about 11 pages that I will need a few days to catch up on, but it's sick the way people were reacting.

Clearly, the media is going to spin this a certain way, but the way people react to the media and the event is what counts.

People died at the hands of a crazy gunman. His father and everyone he knew said he was a kook. Whether pot was involved or not, this guy HATED law enforcement and government. Something nasty was destined to happen with this guy regardless.

Bah. I think I'm talking myself in circles now.

No man your making sense. It is somewhat irrelevant that there was a grow-up there. But unfortuntely as that is a hot topic these days it ends up totally clouding the issue by the media and everyone else. It's unfortunate because it adds a big bias to the whole incident.

It's a big hollywood type of tradegy. Shoot out on the O.K. Corral. That sh!t just shouldn't happen outside of fiction.

wow, some very interesting posts...

I have a friend that is an RCMP officer as well, I have many friends that are local police officers... I also have many friends that are bartenders, teachers, social workers, bankers, investers, managers--etc... I don't think that carries any sort of warrant here... To say that someone getting shot, and someone falling off a hydro tower is any more tragic, is in my opinion--ridiculous. People that die for no apparent reason, is exactly that, death for no apparent reason.

This is a tragedy, this is not a mistake by the RCMP, you cannot blame someone for doing their job. To look at this issue in hindsite and say, well, they should have been better prepared, is ignorant---what the fu©k does anyone here no about this issue---nothing.

I think this is a very fragile issue, because it appears to encompass more than just a tragic killing of four innocent individuals.

Unfortunately, there is a political attachment involved, that people are going to want to discuss, whether it is appropriate or not. So I would suggest backing down on attacking people for discussing issues that "surround" this event, I think we are all aware that it is not the focus of what happened, but, it is an issue that will not be ignored.

Like I said before R.I.P.

Personally, I hope that organized crime can and will be removed from the growing and distributing of marijuana, I don't have any answers on how to accomplish that, but, maybe just maybe, future tragedies like this could be avoided.

To look at this issue in hindsite and say, well, they should have been better prepared, is ignorant---what the fu©k does anyone here no about this issue---nothing.

I know that from watching CBC news most of the evening (amongst other stations) that the RCMP are investigating the possibility that they were ill prepared perhaps and how this could have happened,so,anyone who aired their opinion that they were not prepared,could possibly be or possibly not be right,just as you maybe right in the end calling them "ignorant" or you may not.That is yet to be seen or determined by those who do know.(RCMP)

sure, i didn't say they didn't go about without error, but, to speculate, to judge that this was wrong?? I feel pretty confident saying that, whomever was making the decisions at the time, knew what they were doing, and made appropriate considerations based on what they percieved the situation to be...Sending four RCMP officers to a marijuana bust would probably be appropriate based on the history of non-violence in similar situations...Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think four RCMP officers have ever been killed in gun fire. Hindsite, will always lead to questions and probes, and you can bet, they will take far greater precautions in the future...

Personally, I think the media is ignorant as well, and public pressure will always lead to questions... However, the people directly involved in this situation know a hell of a lot more about what they were dealing with than we do, even in hindsite, we never really do get the "full story."

but, then again, I am just as ignorant as everyone else.

sure, i didn't say they didn't go about without error, but, to speculate, to judge that this was wrong??

I haven't said they made or did not make any errors,I won't speculate whether or not they did,obviously buddy got lucky (to use a word) to be able to get the jump on the officers,error or bad luck?

Sending four RCMP officers to a marijuana bust would probably be appropriate based on the history of non-violence in similar situations

Given the guys known history of violence and known hatred for law enforcement period and the fact they found such a big grow-op the night before at his place,I'd say it makes sense to have questions raised over whether or not they were well prepared.

Not to take away from the main issue here,four innocent lives taken,as I mentioned already any loss of life before its time is sad.

Although,its only my opinion,I consider myself a non-ignorant person,much like my friends.

Ignorant---lacking knowledge, uninformed.

It wasn't meant to be used as an offensive term, I meant it as specifically regarding this situation, not in a general sense.

In my opinion, unless you are a cop, that is involved in that specific situation, you are ignorant of what the real "protocol" should have been. I disagree with the paper questioning the judgment of law enforcers that know what they are doing.

I don't think any blame should be given to anyone outside of organized crime.

here's a funny side note.

i work in a hydroponic gardening store downtown, and 2 unifromed officers just came in and ask me about the various equpement we sell and the uses for it, and they basically checked out the whole store. there stayed about 20 min asking me about the diffeent people that shop here, or the anount of sales we do.

after a while they were like " you know there is going to be a huge crack down on stores like this and growing in general" i didn't want to get into it with 2 cops, about 10 min after smokinga joint and with some weed one me, so i agreeed withg them and they were on there way

i just think its funny that 2 cops went out of there way to tell me that, i'm assuming they did, because they actually drove here and parked infront of the store, and wern't just walking by.

i also think it funny the cops thought it would be nessasary to go arond informing me that something that they don't really know is going to happen.

i just thought it was a funny situation in general and thought some of you might get a kick out of it