Jambands.ca

in need indeed

SaggyBalls

I'm looking for some fresh sounds to inspire my sense of rhythm I've been thinking of the following to update my mind just a bit

dub

drum n bass

breaks

*good* hip hop

jazzy house

trip hop

funky brit pop

talking heads-esque robot funk (or some talking heads)

rare groove

afrobeat

brazillian and latin rthythms...

some tasty jazz greatness

I don't really know a lot of people that are into those flavours and i always find that the only way to hear the best music is to have it played for you.

are there any good nights at clubs in case i'm in your neck of the woods ever, or do any of you have any good compilations or CDs that I could trade blanks for copies of?

I need to refresh my library...

I'm also into great rock and bluegrass, as well as artsy stuff too...but that's more what i've been craving...

trip hop

or some talking heads

Try The Beta Band's 3 EP's CD, or Beta Band Hot Shots II. Their lastest and last ever album Heroes To Zeros is worth getting too. Basically, they are an awesome and innovative band. Not exactly trip hop, but Mazzy Star leans a bit towards trip, as do Portishead. Excellent bands, with surprising guitar breaks.

As for Talking Heads, it all should start with their first album, 1977.

check out your local library. genres such as jazz are usually really well stocked since many of the great artists are very old. just pick up whatever looks interesting, it's free so if you don't like it just bring it back. if you do like it you know the artist's name and proper title of the song which makes searching for MP3s that much easier.

Dub (Specifically Dub Reggae): Linton Kwesi Johnson, Mutabaruka

Afrobeat: Fela Anikulapo Kuti, Kanda Bongo Man, Tarig Abubakar and the Afronubians, Mother Tongue

Brazillian: Da

Cuban: Xavier Kugat

Jazz: Jarek Smietana, Pearl Django (in the style of Django Reinhardt, who if you are unfamiliar with, you should also acquire)

dub

Aside from some Thievery Corporation and Herbalizer that I dig, I haven't really gotten into newer dub that much just because I haven't sought out too much of it. Big fan of the older cuts though, the requisite King Tubby, Lee Perry, Augustus Pablo, Jacob Miller etc. In that vein, check out Alkaline - Extra Long Life. Old school dubwise in a very King Tubby style. It's all dub remixes of Big Sugar songs, done by Big Sugar guitarist Gordie Johnson. Don't let that fool you though, it's not phoned-in Canadian white boy dub at all. One of my favourite albums in ANY genre.

alkaline.gif

Alkaline - Extra Long Life

Guest Low Roller

That's long list to digest, and I'm sure I can dig something up for every style.

The best new hip-hop I've come across has been Roots Manuva. The guy has unbelievable flow set to some really funky jazzy beats. Also check out The Roots, and Digable Planets.

I think a great starting point for the Talking Heads is their latest release called "The Name of This Band is Talking Heads". It's a 2 CD collection of live material from two different time periods. More great robo-funk can be found with Franz Ferdinand.

Now trip-hop has always been a fascination of mine. I like the combination of jazz and head-bobbing beats. Thievery Corporation is a safe bet but other bands you might want to explore close to that genre are Air, Amon Tobin, Boards of Canada, Fila Brazillia, Four Tet, Gotan Project (great blend of tango/trip-hop), Jamiroquai, Massive Attack (the pioneers of trip-hop), Portishead, Sneaker Pimps, Tosca, UNKLE, Zero 7. (I basically just went over my MP3 collection to find some suitable matches for you.)

I think your best bet is to find a website that specializes in the types of music that you're looking for, they may provide better guidance for you.

Good HipHop:

Blackstar

Blackalicious

Maroons

Latyrx

Me'shell Ndegeocello

The Roots -- live stuff for download at www.therootslive.com

Also check out www.quannum.com for samples of a bunch of great hiphop

Afrobeat:

Fela Kuti

Antibalas -- download from archive.org

Jazz: so much to choose from, try...

Dave Brubeck

Mahavishnu Orchestra

Wes Montgomery

John Scofield

MMW

Also check out Manu Chao who fits a few of the genres you mentioned

just a heads up...

de la soul is great, and are playing the phoenix in toronto march 17. a little steep at 24.50.

roots manuva will be at lee's may 5th. a reasonable 17.50. count me in! twice if possible.

there's a series of discs out called "another late night." the mixes by fila brazillia, and rae & christian are quite good. zero 7 as well i believe. a good mix of obscure tunes and funky beats.

the dj kicks series of mixes also provide a good variety of beats. nightmares on wax is my favourite from the 'kicks' series.

jazzanova, stereo mc's, rae & christian, outkast, luke vibert (aka. wagon christ), common (sense), a tribe called quest, and mos def are some other bands and artists that i turn on often. check 'em out!

Good HipHop:

Blackalicious

Definitely check this out Beats! And I third what Low Roller said.

Also worth a listen:

A Tribe Called Quest (Bonita Applebaum era)

Kool Keith/Dr. Octagon ("Holy jumping jackfish!")

Kid Koala

Charlie Parker (all good)

Oscar Peterson

Stan Getz (pretty much as good as it gets)

Django Reinhardt

Morphine

(obviously a mix of different catagories)

Happy listenin' Beats! :D

You should look into some of the old Blue Note records compilations - Blue Break Beats, Best of Acid Jazz etc. - to fill in some blanks between the breaks/acid jazz/jazz genres.

One other that will fit into that area as well, is Jimmy McGriff.

For a good intro to rare-groove, try these web-radios to get the juices flowing and learn a bit about them:

http://www.wefunkradio.com/

http://www.funkishere.com/liens.cfm?lng=2

http://www.smoothvibes.com/radio.html

Enjoy and may the funk be with you

Check out spearhead,talib Qwali(?spelling),First Words, Long Beach Dub Allstars, Stevie Wonder(Newer greatest hits album, very funked out),Franz Ferdinand, Dj Quick n SugaFree,Sweatshop union

these r just a few off the top of my head, ya may like!

other artists not previously mentioned (i hope),

who are coincidentally playing in TO upcoming are:

autechre - opera house - may 11 - weird electronic stuff. cool.

gift of gab - horseshoe - apr 11 - sanfran hippiehop. i dont know what else to call it.

lyrics born - rivoli - mar 25 - see above. both record on big dada.

also, the herbaliser and bonobo - opera house - june 30

other artists not previously mentioned (i hope),

who are coincidentally playing in TO upcoming are:

autechre - opera house - may 11 - weird electronic stuff. cool.

gift of gab - horseshoe - apr 11 - sanfran hippiehop. i dont know what else to call it.

lyrics born - rivoli - mar 25 - see above. both record on big dada.

also, the herbaliser and bonobo - opera house - june 30

Where did you hear about the Herbaliser show? I know Bonobo is at the Ottawa Jazz Fest this year, it would be wicked if Herbaliser came too, but I can't find any current dates, their webpage hasn't been updated in over a year...

AD