Jambands.ca

What is your FAVOURITE song?

PassedOutGuy

I have spent quite some time thinking about this... wondering really if you can have one favourite song forever or is it always changing as you experience new things... i have come to the conclusion that favourites will stick with you forever, bringing you back to that moment and enjoying it again is such a beautiful feeling... I really feel there is no song that stirs more emotion in me for pure brilliance than Harry Hood!... I have sooo many favourites really from The Grateful Dead to Zappa but this song to me has the greatest release of energy and excitement that always makes me smile... SO what is yours and why? Have a favourite version you may have heard live?

PS Coventry Hood had me in tears!

without a doubt: the slip - soft machine - ice cream truck, 08.07.04

i dont think i can narrow down one studio song. there are too many songs, and too many reasons.

but, i had to choose this one because this is a place in time for me, a timepiece that always takes me back to that place... it has a time out of mind effect on me... what i went through during that song, the emotions i felt... jesus... there arent words, man... there are only feelings, and you just cant type these kinda feelings.

i truly love it.

sunday bloody sunday is one of the most moving songs on earth! i love that song.

jammin and three little birds by bob marley always makes me feel so good.

big balls(?) by ACDC always makes me laugh and feel like a kid.

i love singing mercedes benz when i'm hammered.

cheese and crackers by jomomma is wonderfully absurd.

money by pink floyd is the ultimate anthem of cynics.

i guess i have a few

...Esau i can totally hear that brother..

Well,its not that its so personal I could never tell anyone,I just feel its not somthing I wanna get into on a messegboard,I will say that everytime I hear the song I go through so many emotions (sad,angry,happy,confused,fed up etc) and at times the song simply breaks my heart.

Heres a link to the lyrics which probally sums alot of it up.

Bob Dylan - Up To Me

The Longest Road by Stephen Fearing

Why? Something about how melancholic it is, combined with how Canadian it is, but then again I love other songs that are really upbeat, so it's not the melancholic part ... and I love some songs that aren't Canadian at all, so ... uh ... it just is.

Thanks Bob...now I need a drink. ;)

Esau thats a beautifull song...allmost cried with ya...think I'll give ya a shin kicking instead :)

It is that isn't it.Bring on the shin kicks....some call me "iron shin" I can take it.

hey greg, thanks for posting those lyrics... i really love to hear why people dig what they dig... it's just interesting to me how things affect people.

for me, and that soft machine, there's a set of lyrics that always do it for me, not nearly as much of a story or as complex as anything dylan, but, they hold meaning for me...

i would live for you tomorrow

give to you with all my

better intentions

the world

and that is proof that love is death/exists

i think brad switches between 'is death' and 'exists'... either way, it makes a lot of sense for me... but that night, truthfully, the journey was all in the jam, the river it wound down, and the culmination of it all towards the end, the explosion... if you have it, you can find it at 13:37. pure beauty.

i have such a vivid memory of watching them through it, from like 8 feet away, as they guided each other through the song, the eye contact, the signals... it seemed to me that friedman was kinda quarterbacking the whole thing.. i often wonder if these musicians really know what they do to people...

damn.. i learned a lot about music that night.

thanks for posing the question and bringing it all back, PoG... im puttin' this sh!t on and hittin' the sack.

Off the top of my head: Young Man Blues by The Who

But Bob, this topic is impossible. I love soooo many songs. New songs are just as good as old ones. I love " I Will Be There When You Die " by My Morning Jacket every bit as much as " Pink Moon " by Nick Drake. John Coltrane's " My Favourite Things " is beautiful, but no more important and vital as Television's " Marquee Moon ". Every song has their place and significance in everyone's life.

watcher of the skies from foxtrot, genesis.

the musical box - montreal based cover band who recreat genesis's 1973 tour "selling england by the pound" most notably. Aside from their faces and the bassist is lefty, you cannot tell them apart.

The show opener is watcher. The house lights go down...your heart starts beating faster and faster...The song starts and the lights come on...this is what you see (HUGE picture...btw, the picture is of the coverband...not that it makes a difference)

http://www.wiventertainment.de/wiv/shows/tmb/downloads/gen_watcher.jpg

The rumbling low-end sounds reverberate in your chest...its chilling. You really have to be there to understand. try listening to the intro while starting at the pic haha ;)

Does this favourite song work in some way as a counterpart to the kind of song that would be enlisted to drive your neighbour crazy - i.e. is it the sort that you could hear over and over again and still like it?

I don't know if I have one like that. I've got a CD of I don't know how many mp3s of Help-Slip-Frank that might qualify there, but then of course they all vary, so may that doesn't quite count.

Conversely, is it more the rare-bottle-of-wine sort of song that you can leave on the shelf for years and enjoy it more richly each time?

I'm going to need some hootch to get a good shortlist there.

Brown Eyed Women by the dead is right up there, got alot of meaning for me

but as far as a favorite song of all time, I definetley couldnt limit myself to just one, theres so many amazing songs that have alot of meaning to me and bring me back to others goodtimes wheni enjoyed them with freinds or whoever!

Very hard decision, there are definately specific songs I listen to when I'm in a certain mood/situation. One that stands out right now is Down by the river - Neil Young, everytime I hear that song it rips my heart right out of my chest and throws it against the wall.

I get so emotional over many different songs. If I had to list just one it would likely be "Into The Mystic". I wanna rock your Gypsy soul just gets to me.

Thank you - you tweaked something I had lurking in the back of my mind - the title track from Astral Weeks. Hits me especially hard in the spring; I have many fond memories of listening to it on my walkman strolling around the Kingston waterfront as the ice melted and the fresh air wafted into the city.

Mmm. TImeless tune.

Thank you - you tweaked something I had lurking in the back of my mind - the title track from Astral Weeks. Hits me especially hard in the spring; I have many fond memories of listening to it on my walkman strolling around the Kingston waterfront as the ice melted and the fresh air wafted into the city.

Mmm. TImeless tune.

Speaking of memories of Kingston: The Backstairs Influence sucked, especially their lead guitarist and singer.