Jambands.ca

PEPPER JACK'S SHOWS, THIS WEEK AND LATER...

kc

Pepper Jack's this week:

THURSDAY, MARCH 24TH: LINDY(WITH FULL BAND), MELISSA McCLELLAND, MATHEW DEZOETE, CECILIA

www.lindymusic.com www.melissamcclelland.com Showtime 8:30, Cover $8.00

LINDY Lindy’s music defies explanation, and is impossible to categorize – perhaps because no category yet exists which can adequately capture his magic and wisdom. Lindy’s latest album, “The Suspension of Disbelief” is a complete work – a rare thing in a world where a “good” cd requires only three or four decent songs. Each track on the album was as carefully worked as a chapter in a book, and all ar as essential informing the whole. Perhaps the most defining quality in Lindy’s music is its beauty in simplicity. His genius lies in his telling the biggest of truths in the simplest of ways.

MELISSA McCLELLAND "This artist makes a statement that she is completely her, and her music further conveys this. Acoustic talent, poetic lyrics, a few funky beats, individualism and emotion are tightly packaged into McClelland’s effort."

-Dreams Awake Music (April 2002)

FRIDAY, MARCH 25TH~ The EGGMEN Dance all night with the music of the Beatles. Featuring: Doug Feaver, Steve Sinnicks, Shelley Woods, Rik Andrew Showtime: 10:30 Cover $7.00

SATURDAY, MARCH 26TH~ GRUVASYLUM, MUSIC IN THE MOMENT (FREEJAZZ) www.brownman.com Showtime 10pm Cover $8.00

GRUVASYLUM Improvisation. Spontaneous creation. The essence of the jazz solo is not so

different from the essence of freestyle. GRUVASYLUM is hip-hop with a jazz ideology.

100% improvised urban grooves, yet rooted in jazz lineage. Place these tenements in the hands of award-winning musicians and a berserker freestyle rapper...

. . . and watch the walls b u r n d o w n . . . National Jazz Awards for "Jazz Composer of the Year" "Jazz Trumpet Player of the Year" "Electric Jazz Group of the Year". Montreal's "Prix De Jazz" Award

MUSIC IN THE MOMENT Tim Turvey - Drums Colin Fisher - Sax & Guitar Jay Hammer - Upright Bass Another interesting Turvey Combo, always unique:

Ecclectic free jazz delving in the realms of the moment

NEXT WEEK AND BEYOND....

Thusrday, Mar 31st: NEERAJ PREMS' RAGAFFAIRE Classical Indian Music Beautiful Indian Ragas and Taalas in a very simple yet appealing format that can be imbibed by everyone. The ensembles strength lies in a potent blend of musicians who are devoted to their art. Each of the band members have had rigorous training under teachers from the best Gharanas (schools) in India. The Ragaffaire is the confluence of the sitar , santoor , flute and the tabla.

APRIL :

Friday, April 1st KING SUNSHINE Toronto, 8pc Live House Collective Guest DJ Rev. Selecta Extended percussion breaks and samples from artists like Detroit's Theo Parish, Larry Levan, Roy Ayers and Glenn Underground, can be heard throughout their sets. Their groove and mixes emulate yet recreate the way dance music Djs spin. King Sunshine has created a style that has been widely appreciated by many in the music industry, landing them on stage with some of house music's finest, including Theo Parrish, Mark Farina, Derrick Carter, Ron Trent, Dj Sneak, Jason Palma and New Jerseys soul man Kenny Bobien.

www.kingsunshine.com

Saturday, April 2nd: WASSABI COLLECTIVE , Rollin' Cash (Om fest.) www.wassabi.net

Thursday, April 7th: DOUG FEAVER, BOB WISEMAN, T LeChe

Friday April 8th: 5-8pm: JAMIE OAKES/STEVE STRONGMAN , 10pm: DIESEL DOG, FRIENDS OF HEFNER

Saturday April 9th: CHIVA Feat Nik "Brownman" Ali, DJ Dopey www.brownman.com

Thursday April 14th: JIM BYRNES BAND Feat. ZUBOT AND DAWSON

Friday April 15th: FAT CATS

Saturday, April 16th: TRUTHS AND RIGHTS Featuring members of Big Sugar performing Reggea, ska, urban dancehall and some Big Sugar Jams done T & R.

Thursday, April 21st: ERIN CARPENTER CD Release Party!

Saturday April 23th: Miss Sharon Jones and The Dap-Kings Miss this show, you miss BIG!

www.dapetonerecords.com

Thursday, April 28th: TASA : Though the music of Tasa is rooted in the classical music traditions of north and south India, elements of many of the world traditions are represented. Instruments from India, Brazil, Turkey, and North America blend together in such a way as to create a new and distinctly Canadian voice. The music of Tasa draws from the rich repertoire of ragas and talas from the Indian classical music tradition www.tasamusic.com

Friday, April 29th: BOX OF RAIN Collaboration of musicians with a collective resume of

professional accomplishments that include work with Jeff Healey, Andy Stochansky, Holly McNarland, Classic Albums Live, The Killjoys and a host of others.

They come together in Box of Rain over a love of the music of the Grateful Dead and an interest in recreating the live experience of the Dead at their best.

Saturday, April 30th: CONTACT, CHAMELEON PROJECT

Happy Spring!

www.pepperjackcafe.com

Doug Feaver & Bob Wiseman...nice.

my thoughts exactly, nice!

ive had that one song doug sings stuck in my head for about a week now, not sure if its his tune or what, been too long since i saw him play,

a littles gonna mean a lot to mym friends and i

who didnt get caught

a littles gonna mean a lot to my friends and i

who didnt get bought

fu©king love that tune

got some good good shows comin up there kc, lookin foward to trashin your bar again ;)

whos got info on this Box of Rain show??

its based on the same band that played GD for the Classic Albums Live show in Toronto a short while back... they enjoyed doing it enough that they're going to keep doing it... fronted by Mike Daley

Collaboration of musicians with a collective resume of

professional accomplishments that include work with

Jeff Healey, Andy Stochansky, Holly McNarland,

Classic Albums Live, The Killjoys and a host of others.

They come together in Box of Rain over a love of

the music of the Grateful Dead and an interest

in recreating the live experience of the Dead

at their best.

April 1st.

I'm off to Algarve (Montefuero), Portugal for 5 nights of beach and resort action with the girlfriend. Then I'll stumble home for the Wassabi/BNB Toronto weekend and be back in Hamilton by Tuesday...

I'll call you when I get back into town. I'll be back in my old place, just right round the corner.