Jambands.ca

Scofield

\/\/illy

In.

He's touring with Steve Swallow and Bill Stewart, and neither of them is young; both have played with many major league players. It is in support of his new album, so it's going to be more jazzy and less like uberjam. Can't wait for the wookies to complain that it's not "heady" enough.

And I second the thank-you to Brian Carson, a beautiful, beautiful man.

I do rememeber that show - it was great!

I think you're mistaken about the keyboard/rhythm guitarist, though... Avi Bortnick is actually in his early forties, although he could still pass easily for someone much younger. (Of course, that was about five years ago, so he would have been... five years younger than he is now.) The drummer and bassist were the youngest - I think Jesse Murphy was about 20 or 21... maybe he was the one who was too young to drink.

Edited by Guest

you remember that show we caught of him in the Tralf?

What I really remember is having a nice dinner and drinks with you boys before meandering over to the Tralf to catch the last 15 minutes of his second set, and encore.

That was the night I learned: shows at The Tralf start on time!

:(:(

I remember seeing scofield last summer at the Toronto Jazz fest. Same line-up, very straight traditional jazz. Wasn't really up my alley "not heady enough". Afterwards John was signing autographs I bought a copy of Uberjam. I told him it was always a treat to have him come up here, he didn't say a single word to me, just gave me this look of disgust and signed my cd. It was actually pretty funny. Guess he wants people to forget about the heady, or something, I dunno...

RayRay baby - you truly were a sight to behold last night! So fine!! :o owwww! Mama is hot!!! ;)

I missed Franke's opening set but got there just in time to be at the bar grabbing my first beer as Scofield took the stage. He played for about 90+ minutes and did a pretty good mix of "standard" jazz including a few ballads, and a couple of tunes from "A Go Go" and wound up the night (pre-encore) with a pretty intense freak out, in total contrast to the polite opening tunes. I thought his band was good, not mind-blowing to me in any way, but surely competent enough, just perhaps a bit bland, particularly bassist Steve Swallow. In any event, for me it was The Sco Show b/c just to watch him play is money enough for me. As an aside, he didn't look too well, whatever that means, pale and thin. But man he played like a mofo all night long.

Crowd was decent enough, a mix of well-heeled middle aged men totally serious about music and jazz, and younger smellier people totally serious about getting looped and staying looped.

A fantastic show all around. Thank you again Brian Carson. I do hope all went smoothly and I cannot wait to see who you bring in for next year. :P

Well my first live Scofield expirence was top notch in my opinion.Checked out the soundcheck,which really smoked and let me see what I was in store for later in the evening.After the soundcheck,I even got to speak with the guys for abit,really friendly folks.They mentioned wanting to walk back to their hotel and just how far it was from the venue,so next I find myself walking down King William street at 6:00pm in my hometown with these amazing (legendary really) jazz musicians talking about their tour,Hamilton and hockey! LOL .As we past Pepper Jacks I tried to convince em to come in for some drinks but they wanted to relax at the hotel and by the way the numerous folks on the street were starting to realize who they were I guess it was a good idea.So,I went for a beer then headed back to the venue to watch the Stephen Franke soundcheck.

Awesome evening of music,partying with Stephen Franke & his band after the show was a blast,great folks also.

Cheers to Brian for putting this amazing show together,your hard work & dedication are really appreciated my friend.