Jambands.ca

Is Spearhead worth catching live?

Tenenbaum

I definitely think you should catch them. I've seen them a few times, and have had a great experience every time.

I wrote a review of the show I saw recently, and there were also some replies, some of which by someone who is NOT a fan of Spearhead live. Click here to check out that review, and the discussion we had about why or why not one might want to see them.

In my view, though, you should definitely go. I think Michael Franti is one of the coolest people around, and this is based on his music, his Iraq diaries, as well as personal anecdotes by many who have met him (including one member of this Board, whose own friend was rushed to an emergency room by Franti himself).

is oxygen worth breathing?

Spearhead is one of the best live acts that I have had the pleasure of seeing.

Michael Franti is a monster performer...charisma city!!!

The are not a "jamming" band, but its not really about that...

I really can't see how someone could not at least enjoy the show.

definately check them out...there are a bunch of recordings on the archive.

I say personally they're not worth it... Way too over the top, especially Franti. Very contrived show, with way too many crowd participation moments. If you like to be told to "Throw your hands in the air!", or when to "Jump!", then it might be a good time for you. The fact that I really dislike the music doesn't help my opinion. Mind you, you are in Alaska, so I imagine you don't get to see as many "name" acts up there... Check the Ottawa Bluesfest thread for more opinions about Spearhead.

I say personally they're not worth it... Way too over the top, especially Franti. Very contrived show, with way too many crowd participation moments. If you like to be told to "Throw your hands in the air!", or when to "Jump!", then it might be a good time for you. The fact that I really dislike the music doesn't help my opinion. Mind you, you are in Alaska, so I imagine you don't get to see as many "name" acts up there... Check the Ottawa Bluesfest thread for more opinions about Spearhead.

I would be afraid that might be the case, given the level of popularity he could hit. It's a shame, because I have heard his bits between songs about Iraq, and those are things that need to be said - plus, you'd have to hope the musicians he would pull around him would be up to the task.

Still kinda moot, given the lineup and all.

I hung out with Franti for about an hour at Evolve last year and he was such a kind spirited person. He spoke so clearly, it was very impressive that he was commited conveying his message of hope, peace and the importance of being political. I really got the feeling that he was a sort of modern day Bob Marley. His presence alone was inspiring. He stands 6foot 6 and has that relaxed vibe of a true Rasatafarian. He was one of the most intellectual and well spoken musicians I have met.

I think that over the years he has tapped into sometimes cliche crowd participation bits, and has really refined his music to make it more accessible.

I really think that those are small criticisms considering that his show is full of high energy anthems and feel good jams. He truly puts on an original and extraordinary show. Perhaps though you might not follow the guy all summer, as he doesn't switch it up that often, which makes the show feel a bit contrived.

I would say though any artist of his caliber does a lot of work to create a great tight show and may have the similar setlist night after night. Franti has really perfected a power set that gets almost any audience pumped.

Alan.. you really got to see this guy at least once!!!

I was tottally moved the first time, somewhat moved the second time and to be honest a little cheesed out the third time. I can understand Dell when he says over the top yet we live in a world that is over the top too. Franti is definately an activist with a heart of gold.

Definately worth catching once in my opinion. Whether or not I felt a bit oozy the last time he is still an incredible performer and human being!

Allthough I'm not sure I'll go again...I doubt I'll EVER forget my first experiance seeing him and I'm very glad of that....ha now saying this mabey I'll go again.....

I've always had a blast watching Spearhead. Audience participation stuff can irk me sometimes, too (feel like a chump if you do, a stick in the mud if you don't), but the energy is always so high and the vibe so on for Spearhead that it doesn't bother me at those shows.

Fond memories. Go make some!

(how you feeeeellllliiiiinnnnn') ;)

You're in Alaska! Of course you should go....

that being said, I personally wouldn't go too far to hear him play. Hell, he shows up as a guest enough. And its always the same "freestyle" no matter who or where... but if he was across the street, I'd be there.

Another interesting point..

I was doing an interview with Kellar Williams about a year ago, when he did his opening slot at the Molson Amphitheater.

I was asking him about other artists that inspired him and the first person he said was Michael Franti. They had just been on tour together in Europe and after every show Franti would head out into the audience and hung and talk everybody... until there was no-one left. Keller said that he never knew an artist that cared some much for his audience.

Shortly after that interview, I interviewed Michael Kang from String Cheese Incident who were going to play in Toronto for the Lollapaloza Festival. I asked him about inspiring musicians and he also mentioned Franti, calling him the most relevant musician of last summer.

I hung out with Franti for about an hour at Evolve last year !

Can I TOUCH you????

Ya, I got a Franti hug after a show.

oh never mind, I'll touch the man himself, hopefully.

I am now so psyched for the show on the island this summer.

One of the first topics I ever posted here was about how I could NOT get a Spearhead CD out of my player for about 3 months...

then the person who introduced me to Franti, was misting up when he described the man's stage presence/charisma. I have been primed to see Franti for MONTHS and I'm glad to infer from most replies here that I'm not about to be disappointed!