Jambands.ca

Stronach Joins Liberals

ollie

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No concerns about yet another gratuitously wealthy powerbroker getting into the Liberal camp? Nor the removal of one of the rare social stabilisers among the Conservatives? It seems like they'll be glad to see the back of her.

I won't make the obligatory Clinton comment re. that last sentence.

The part I found re-heartening (in this age of political disheartening) was

Last week, she said it would be unfortunate if the Liberal government fell before the 2005 budget was passed because it contained measures on municipal funding that were of great importance to her constituents in the Toronto area riding of Newmarket-Aurora.

Imagine that! A representative makes a major political decision based not on idealogy, but (at least in part) on what's best for her constituents! There may be hope for us all, folks...

Aloha,

Brad

Guest Low Roller

Wasn't she rumoured to be dating Tory leader Stephen Harper a while back? I guess there is some trouble in paradise.

Wasn't she rumoured to be dating Tory leader Stephen Harper a while back? I guess there is some trouble in paradise.

No it was leadership hopeful Peter McKay... and they were actually an item... not sure if they are still together though!

They are still dating. In fact, people keep asking her if he'll be next one to jump ship and move over to the Liberals, as he (like she) is against forcing an election. She won't comment.

Imagine that! A representative makes a major political decision based not on idealogy, but (at least in part) on what's best for her constituents!

I dunno. Given the recent Stronach family history, I'd say she's doing it because she wants to play for the winning team. My guess is she’s got some kind of inside Liberal alliance going on that will guarantee her either political or corporate gains in the relatively near future (come election time). Sorry to be a cynic, but the current government has done nothing to garner trust, insofar as I’ve seen. That pseudo-deal with Layton a few weeks back was so blatantly misleading - they had nullified it before the ink was even dry!

I wonder if Macleans will do a special on what kind of shoes she was wearing as she “crossed the floor to the Liberals”?

Oh man I am so happy

How anybody can be elated about the state of politics in this country is beyond me. It seems that party ties amongst voters usurps the evidence that these Liberal asswipes have flat out stolen our tax dollars and laughed in our faces while they've done it. They are a power hungry freak fest that will stop at nothing to maintain control. Make no mistake these jerks are in the senate and in the cattacombs of the government and won't be leaving their positions for long after they are out of office.

Do you think it better to be represented by imbalanced, kick-back jockeys who'll stop at nothing to maintain an underhanded strangle-hold on our lives than to throw caution to the wind and possibly have to deal with a government that is mis-alligned with exactly what you feel?

Oh God I don't want to get off my couch and have to go and check another box on a ballot or actually entertain the idea that maybe things are in a bad way and need to be fixed by a large shake-up!

I can't stand some of the ideals that the Conservatives represent, but the fact is that this Liberal debauchle is making want to smack the voters of Canada and their truly Canadian complacency in the fricken mouth. If this sh!t was going on in another country people would take up arms.

The day that the NDP got into bed with the Liberals tells me that these jack-asses don't even believe in the system of representation we've got set up and don't understand that integrity needs to be maintained over all-else and can only be preserved through due-process and accurate representation in the house of commons not chronyism and fear of change.

Party line towing bullshit is already got us where we are today and we need to learn from that.

AARRGGHH.

Deeps

...a visibly pleased Martin, calling Stronach a "gutsy" new part of his team.

"Gutsy"? Holy shit man, that's just plain balls! Right on Belinda! Here's Belinda on Monday Report earlier this year...

http://www.cbc.ca/mondayreport/backissues.html'>http://www.cbc.ca/mondayreport/backissues.html

Perhaps she should've been wearing a split Liberals/Conservatives jersey. :P

Other weirdness from Monday Report's site (the dang image won't work right now)...reports that 35% of people would vote for the Conservatives should there be an election. With only 33% and 32% voting for the Liberals and NDP respectively. Yikes!

And I always thought Mercer had more of a Liberal/NDP/leftist audience. This is scary business!

http://www.cbc.ca/mondayreport to cast your vote!

What's Lowell saying? He must be ready to burst a major blood vessel. He was a big Belinda-booster when she was running for Tory leadership.

Oh man, Lowell and his callers turned on her pretty quick, calling her Judas and proclaiming they knew she was a rat all along.

The people on this thread pointing out the ugly politics of all this are right. I am only taking glee in the fact that my nightmare scenario of George Bush and Stephen Harper gladhanding each other at the White House has been averted for the time being.

She's had her sights on the Prime Minister's office for awhile. Her chances are much better as a Liberal than as a Conservative.

I am very thankful that this has happened.

She is a billionaires brat daughter who has failed at almost everything she's been handed.

Sign her up for my team maybe she won't actually tie her shoes together today and knock over the other players.

WTF - Who invited her? - Thanks daddy!

Deeps

Wow - this is crazy!!!

That pseudo-deal with Layton a few weeks back was so blatantly misleading - they had nullified it before the ink was even dry!

Hey Marge...the House will vote on the main Budget Bill on Thursday, as well as the accompanying Bill C-43 which is the NDP provisions added to it, so the ink is very much dry and all Liberals will support the Budget additions that were part of the agreement with the NDP...so...not so sure where you get your info.

I think the biggest problem with politics is cynicism and lack of perception of what actually happens in Parliament, only the sexy stuff makes the news, and it's sad if people are basing their opinions on the 45 minute circus that is Question Period.

I would love to sit down with you sometime Deeps and give you my perspective, I am not a thief, just like 99.99% of other Liberals. I encourage people to examine where they get their info on Canadian politics and determine if actual truth, or what the press says - has created your negative perception.

Do you think it better to be represented by imbalanced, kick-back jockeys who'll stop at nothing to maintain an underhanded strangle-hold on our lives than to throw caution to the wind and possibly have to deal with a government that is mis-alligned with exactly what you feel?

yes.

The day that the NDP got into bed with the Liberals tells me that these jack-asses don't even believe in the system of representation we've got set up and don't understand that integrity needs to be maintained over all-else and can only be preserved through due-process and accurate representation in the house of commons not chronyism and fear of change.

The NDP deal was exactly the kind of thing I hoped for when the Liberals got their minority government a yeart ago. Making deals, compromising, working together. That is exactly what I want Parliament to do.

Look, like TimmyB once said to me, the Liberals could kill people on the steps of Parlaiment and they'd still be a better alternative than the Conservatives. In the end, all the Liberals did was waste tons of money. That makes me angry and disappointed but the truth is, I don't care. It's only money. Yipadeeshit. Go ahead, waste my money, any elected party will ultimately reach a point where it is a temptation and all of them will fail the test. In the meantime, don't talk to me about money, talk to me about women's rights, immigration policies, US-Canada relations, same-sex legislation, marajuana decriminilization and the environment, among other things. On all those points, yes, I would rather have a corrupt party in power than some "experiment" with the Conservatives. It's still less damaging and less offensive to me.

"imbalanced, kick-back jockeys who'll stop at nothing to maintain an underhanded strangle-hold on our lives"

and I was wondering if you might expand on that. This underhanded strangle-hold on our lives, what are you referring to?

Look, like TimmyB once said to me, the Liberals could kill people on the steps of Parlaiment and they'd still be a better alternative than the Conservatives. In the end, all the Liberals did was waste tons of money. That makes me angry and disappointed but the truth is, I don't care. It's only money. Yipadeeshit. Go ahead, waste my money, any elected party will ultimately reach a point where it is a temptation and all of them will fail the test. In the meantime, don't talk to me about money, talk to me about women's rights, immigration policies, US-Canada relations, same-sex legislation, marajuana decriminilization and the environment, among other things. On all those points, yes, I would rather have a corrupt party in power than some "experiment" with the Conservatives. It's still less damaging and less offensive to me.

... not exactly the language I would have used, and I may be a little more irritated over the Sponsorship Scandal than you; but essentially my position. Well said Mr. O.

I gained alot of respect for Belinda today.

Belinda didn't double-cross Harper. Harper has double-crossed all Canadians with his alliance with the Bloc Quebecois.

I'm not kidding: If Stephen Harper ever became Prime Minister, he could easily become the first PM to be assassinated.