Jambands.ca

What are you listening to right now?

PassedOutGuy

Desolation Row

The Marionette Performance

A film by Roderick Smith (www.rodericksmith.com), featuring the Music of Bob Dylan and the 16th century engravings of Peter Bruegel the Elder.

This 10 minute film is a collage of music and imagery set down by two artists who lived 450 years apart. The unexpected union of these visionaries was a chance encounter late one night when, as painter Roderick Smith was perusing an old book of engravings by Flemish artist Peter Bruegel the Elder, Bob Dylan's Desolation Row happened to be played on the radio. In an instant an uncanny collaboration was taking place. The wildly strange visual imagery of Bruegel was illustrating the equally bizarre lyrics of the Dylan song. They were in tandem - yet neither medium violated the unique vision of the other. Convinced that a creative miracle was at hand, Mr. Smith set about capturing this creative apparition with the use of marionettes, engravings and the music of Bob Dylan. D519 is the result.

Number of discs: 1

Running time: 00:10

Video standard: NTSC

Great visuals. Nothing else like it."

"This show is absolutely amazing. The artist could perhaps have found a better live recording but, never mind, you haven't seen anything like it. Its brilliant!"

The recording used was from Cedar Rapids 2000 with a harmonica performance (not Dylan) added for the film.

marionette3.jpg

^^^^^

Track 5 - Somebody Pick Up My Pieces

W O W ! What a performance. I just zoned out here at work with the headphones on listening to that!

Here, give it a try:

http://download.yousendit.com/7EFB3D3A2E2A4BF4

Dammit ... she does a MIND BOGGLING version of Elton John's Talking Old Soldiers. From my fav Elton John album Tumbleweed Connection. You can hear her soul ripping apart in her performance. DAMN i knew she was good, but this is HOT.

http://download.yousendit.com/1C6E768F399EC73D

Edited by Guest