Total Time: 2:45:04

Roy Bittan - piano

Clarence Clemons - saxophone

Danny Federici - organ

Bruce Springsteen - vocals, guitar

Garry Tallent - bass

Steven Van Zandt - guitar

Max Weinberg - drums

Get comfortable, ‘cuz all the stories are true - the E Street Band came to play, and they’re not gonna stop until the roof caves in! This is powerful rock ‘n' roll revivalism and Springsteen makes the heat rain down upon the assembled Winterland parishioners.

Years before punk deconstructed popular music as a violent protest against the bloated rock ‘n' roll dinosaurs staggering from stadium to stadium, Bruce Springsteen was earnestly providing his own alternative to bone-headed riffing and cowbell solos, putting out albums that echoed a simpler time while thoughtfully chronicling the plight of the workin’ man on his eternal quest for Saturday Night.

Concentrating on material from their recent release, Darkness on the Edge of Town, Springsteen and his crew lay into the first half of this set with reckless abandon, reserving the early hits and holiday cheer for the second half. As soon as they take the stage, it’s all lost love and drag races and full-throttle rock ‘n' roll; then factory walls and plaintive piano with dusty, wheezing harmonica. This is the whole history of 20th century America set to music, geared up and rolling down the highway ‘till everyone, audience included, is ready to pass out. Then, about an hour after they should be taking their bows, the band launches into "Born to Run" with an emotional fury that would kill a group of weaker constitution. It’s like Phil Spector meets Jack Kerouac, hooked up to about a dozen car batteries. Then they play an encore!

In two short weeks the Winterland would shut its doors for good. Fittingly, Bill Graham brought in the Grateful Dead for the official last concert, but for many present at Springsteen’s show, the Winterland really closed on December 15th.

Acid Mothers Temple Live at Grog Shop on 2006-05-15

Seriously heavy psychedelic metal from Japan. They will be in Ottawa at Babylon on April 30th.

I just found out they're cool with being recorded and having shows uploaded to the Live Music Archive. (I assume you're listening to this one?) I may come out for (and record) this one.

Aloha,

Brad

For the second time today. No amplified instruments (all acoustic) or vocals in a church and the taper nailed it. Sweet show and recording.

The Stairwell Sisters

7/2/2005

The Little Church In The Pines

Salina, CO

Source: AKGC1000s - placed dfc, ORTF, lip of stage (band unamplified) > AD20 > JB3 (rec/tx by Paul Rennix) Transfer: JB3 > Firewire > Toshiba - Normed to -16dB slight edits in SF6, Tracked in CDWave > Flac

01 intro

02 Sleeping Lulu

03 Buckets of Rain

04 Cindy in the Meadows

05 Oh Death

06 Lost Love

07 Wild Horse

08 No Never No

09 Paris Waltz

10 Old Time Roscoe's Gone

11 The Longest Night

12 Riley the Furniture Man

13 Red Gal

14 Jump Back (Ham Bone)

01 Easy

02 Greasy Coat

03 Weary, Weary World

04 Big Black Cat

05 Wish I was

06 Stranger Stop & Cast an Eye

07 Could It Be Him

08 Come Along Jody

08 Drunkard's Lone Child

10 Poor Orphan Child

11 Shakin' Down the Acorns

12 Where the Flowers Bloom Forever

13 Fiddler

14 Nobody's Darlin'

15 Banjo Pickin' Girl

Brad did you ever get a trackname for D1T09?? I'm loving that right now again.

Nope. I tried to track down as many titles as I could (from listening to their album, and checking out other shows), but some of them I just couldn't get. I e-mailed the band about the upload, and asked for any corrections they could offer, but aside from that, colour me stumped.

Aloha,

Brad