Jambands.ca

Question: Best/Worst Band @ Live 8

Jaimoe

The concerts were for an obvious good cause, but just for fun, what performance was the best and worst worldwide?

Worst:

Tie: The Tragically Hip with Dan Aykroyd/That white-centric Afro-Canadian drum band with the terrible name

Best:

Pink Floyd

Edited by Guest

Bar none, I think most people will cite Pink Floyd as the best performance for reasons everyone knows.

Since the only feed we really got to see here was CTV, I have to give props to the Barenaked Ladies. Although I am not a fan by any stretch of the means, I am continually impressed with their ability to draw live crowds into what is happening on stage.

My favorite performance was easily Bruce Cockburn's.

I also enjoyed what I saw of Deep Purple, Jet and Blue Rodeo. They kept me on the feed and that is all that matters to me. I flipped during most of the other *fluff* while we were around the tv set.

Celine Dion was not something I was very interested in whilst pretty much hating it, but did enjoy Tom Green's crack at her (playing the Craps tables, or something like that).

For the other feeds we got to see as 'in betweens', I really enjoyed Paul McCartney's and Sarah McGlauglin's viewings, but missed the majority of what was aired.

Edit to add:

I hated Rocking In The Free World, absolutely hated it so much that I kept watching, wishing to see streams of people walking out to their homes.

Edited by Guest

Edit to add:

I hated Rocking In The Free World, absolutely hated it so much that I kept watching, wishing to see streams of people walking out to their homes.

I don't like ensemble all-star wrap-ups to benefit concerts and Canada's was no exception. This was terrible and embarrassing. WTF was Bruce Cockburn doing on stage WITHOUT A FUCKING GUITAR???

That washed-up, drug-addled, one-minor-hit wonder lead singer from Buck Cherry had tons of mic time for no reason at all, especially given the legends on stage that didn't sing a verse.

The English all-star ensemble with Paul McCartney came off better, but how could it not with Pete Townshend was on main guitar and Paul leading and playing piano.

I didn't watch all day, but OLP was typically awful (I've never heard them sound good live) and, with great amounts of bias, I hated Motley Crue. Leave it to a douche like Vince Neil to say "but today it's all about the music."

Best: Annie Lennox. Stevie Wonder. DMC

Being in attendance at the Live 8 in Barrie and not having an opportunity to see the videos I taped of the day yet I can only judge what I saw live.

Since I was front row I couldn't get a look at the video screens showing acts around the world and they were often soundchecking onstage which impeded my listening of acts like Pink Floyd and Paul McCartney.

My favorite moments was Neil Young's new song "When God Made Me" and Bruce Cockburn's "Waiting For a Miracle" which I've waited ten Cockburn shows to see live.

My least favorite moments was DMC. Though it was novel to see Joey Kramer and Tom Hamilton back DMC for "Walk This Way."

Inexplicably, the only Barrie Live 8 artists that got any negative press in the local Toronto rags were Celine Dion ( in both The Star and The Sun ) and a " self-important " Raine Maida.

Both the Star and Sun thought The Hip were excellent too. They were dreadful... at least blaring through the TV.

From my perspective at the Barrie show, Neil was magical as always, Bruce Cockburn was incredible in an entirely different way, and Deep Purple rocked my face off.

Our Lady Peace was horrible.

StoneMtn,

Did you make it to the Barrie show? If you did, I wish we hooked up. I will never forget the kindess you showed me by sending me the program from that Bachman/Young show in BC last year and it would have been great to see you at another Bachman/Young related event.

Tim

Tim:

I did make it to Live 8, and I honestly thought of you in advance, because I knew you had tickets. The thing is, I didn't actually have tickets until the night before the show, and by then it was really too late to figure out how to see you as I didn't have your phone number or anything.

We can just chalk it up to one more Neil show we've seen "together", without yet meeting. (I'm just waiting for that big Neil Young show in Whistler some day, when I fully expect to see you on my doorstep.)

I'de have to say the very best for me was paul mcartney...especially when he did sgt peppers with bono...that was just incredible for me!! For the worst its a toss up between Our Lady Peace and/or Celine Dion.

I gotta say that dmc was pretty impressive..too that rendition of all along the watch tower was stellar!

Celine Dion's performance was actually good, for what she does (though the Vegas schtick was mega-hokey), but her "passionate" plea for the cause was one of the most horrid things I've ever had to watch.

Did anyone else not notice how pathetic she sounded?

Best: Pink Floyd

Honourable Mentions: Deep Purple, Bruce Cockburn, The Who

Worst: Audioslave -- Chris Cornell mumbling the lyrics to some dreary tune, voice shot to hell; then pulls out a broken Black Hole Sun on acoustic guitar... very depressing way to see one of my old rock heroes.

I missed a lot of the Live 8 broadcast, but (of course) PF were the highlight for me. I dug Neil as well (with the exception of RITFW...what a mess of an ending...no one knew where that tune was going).

The Hip pretty much always blow live (thanks to Gord's vocals, IMHO).

Robbie Williams is a fucking Ken doll. *shudder* After being hammered for 3 days and just smoking a joint I couldn't get beyond that. No recollection of what his music sounded like. Meh.

Madonna...holy fuck Madonna! I was just starting to drift into my early evening nap when she came on, laying down F bombs everywhere and dancing her ass off. Not too sure about her song choices, but she was still entertaining to watch. That is one hot mama!

Anyone got a link to any of the Deep Purple, etc? Like I said, I missed A LOT. These are just my impressions for the few acts I did catch.

Still, none of the acts I saw can shake a stick at Floyd's reunion. I had tears in my eyes.

Lewdie too. When everyone was still passed out after day two of the "Femme In" I sat outside with Mouse and put the AOL stream of Pink Floyd on. I came inside to lewdie laying and watching the show. He had tears in his eyes. They did a great job.

why did Jann Arden leave the stage like that? Seemed kinda weird to me.

I think the most dissapointing was when Vince Neil said, "it's all about the music man" - idiot

Although I'm not a huge fan of the Bare Naked Ladies, I thought they sounded REALLY good. And they always find a way to make me giggle a little.

Pink Floyd gave me shivers... oh what a lovely tease that was!

Although I'm not a huge fan of the Bare Naked Ladies, I thought they sounded REALLY good.

Absolutely, LMP. Those guys always end up surprising me with their professionalism and talent. (You'd think I'd stop being surprised by now.) I'm not a fan, but I'm proud that they're Canadian.