Jambands.ca

Cuff The Duke

bONES

anyone been to their website in the last week?

they have their new cd available for listening/downloading

i LOVE No Sleep, No Heat...such a wicked new tune

believe the cd hits stores next week

Cuff The Duke fuggin rock mang!

you folks going to Hillside are lucky peeps indeed...don't miss the Duke

Edited by Guest

can someone tell me what im missing about cuff the duke? i've gone to see them 3 times now, and been grossly disappointed everytime. most recently, at the ottawa bluesfest, i thought it was embarrassing that they were given a headlining slot, given the amount of talent at that festival. i felt like i was watching canada's future blue rodeo (who i actually like quite a bit), only much much less interesting. they have zero stage presence, they try to rock it out like rockstars but their music falls way short of the mark for that schtick... making fun of a dead midget (twice) didnt score any points with me, and leading the crowd in a chant of THEIR OWN NAME was the icing on the cake for me... gimme a break. how much do you love yourselves? please. anyways, i really cant see myself going back to a cuff the duke show, though i thought the 3rd time would be the charm... but im curious what it is about these guys, maybe i'd like the cd better, but i've been hearing the hype since a roommate of mine discovered them back when we were in college... i figure i gotta be missin' something, but maybe it's just not for me... :crazy:

I saw them open for Luther Wright & The Wrongs at Babylon in Ottawa a couple of years ago, and also didn't get it. The problem I had with their music was that it had all these arbitrary and unexpected changes, that didn't make sense to me, musically. To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, a lot of stuff by The Dixie Dregs is written such that, you often can't know what's coming next, but once it does, you realize that it's the only thing that could have come next. With Cuff The Duke, I didn't get that feeling: it seemed like the changes were there because the band could have put them there, not because they should have put them there.

That said, it was a couple of years ago, and I don't remember much of the show except the above observation. I missed them at BluesFest, but I'm willing to give them another try.

Aloha,

Brad

I'm not the hugest Duke fan, but they're OK and a good time to see live. The BLuesFest show definitely wasn't stellar, but club shows are a lot of fun.

They're not the best musicians and not the best songwriter, but they do OK. And with the amount of shows up here, sometimes OK just has to do.

AD

guigs...the first time i saw them i thought they were

trying WAY too hard. I found it boring and pretentious. Then I gave Life Stories for Minimum Wage another listen one day as i was cruising down the road. Something clicked and i got it

and LOVED it. Ballad of a Lonely Construction Worker is one of my fave tunes to hear live by any band. I have found that every time i see CTD they have improved BIG TIME! I think Wayne has a wicked good voice. And they are still young. It's only going to get better IMO. Maybe they really love playing TO, i don't know. Fortunately i've

never had to hear about dead midgets or the lame town they played in the previous night banter.

what I find extreemely interesting is that I've been posting 'jamband' related stuff on a similar board 'stillepost.ca' and '20hz.ca' and i got some mean responses from someone in Cufe The Duke, first slammin' the jam scene and second slammin' anything to do with 'hippies' The Band member said something like "Hippies have no relevance in today society" .

what I find extreemely interesting is that I've been posting 'jamband' related stuff on a similar board 'stillepost.ca' and '20hz.ca' and i got some mean responses from someone in Cufe The Duke, first slammin' the jam scene and second slammin' anything to do with 'hippies' The Band member said something like "Hippies have no relevance in today society" .

can someone PLEASE tell me what a fucking hippie is anyway!?

LABELS SUCK!

what I find extreemely interesting is that I've been posting 'jamband' related stuff on a similar board 'stillepost.ca' and '20hz.ca' and i got some mean responses from someone in Cufe The Duke' date=' first slammin' the jam scene and second slammin' anything to do with 'hippies' The Band member said something like "Hippies have no relevance in today society" .

[/quote']

can someone PLEASE tell me what a fucking hippie is anyway!?

LABELS SUCK!

Truth. I saw a Burt poster in Guelph vandalized with some reference to Hippy jamband blah blah blah.

I've been trying to remain calm about this indie/jam rivalry. But fuck it!

People really need to open their fucking minds on both sides of the fence. It's not easy to do, but being a knob who only listens to one type of music is in my opinion culturally counter-productive.

Deeps

for any Toronto CTD fans out there (phunkyB)

I just read about this on their website

Tuesday the 26th, catch Cuff the Duke playing acoustic for a free in-store at Soundscapes 572 College Street Toronto at 6:30.

i'm going down for it and hopefully can pick up the new cd!

:)

see anyone there?

Whew, Guigsy thanks for posting that, I thought it was just me. So many people have raved about Cuff the Duke that I couldn't wait to catch them at Bluesfest to see what all the hype was about. I was sorely disappointed.

I just found the music really uninteresting, the songs unremarkable and the stage presence a bore.

But they are young, they have time to dig a little deeper.

last nights free acoustic set at Sounscapes was a hot & sweaty full house.

fortunately we got there early and nabbed a spot at the front, because by the time Cuff The Duke came on there were folks spilling on to the sidewalk.

The boys played all new material from their latest self-titled cd. They opened with The Future Hangs, which also happens to be the first track off the new disc. I'm not exactly sure of the following order, but know these songs were played.

I Really Want To Help you, Take My Money And Run, The Ballad of Poor John Henry, No Sleep, No Heat (Jeffs amp decides to take on a really annoying buzz, but they continue anyway), and end the set with Belgium or Peru

I picked up the cd for $10 bucks and am loving every minute of it. It was worth the wait :)

Favourite tracks...There Was A Time & No Sleep, No Heat

Not exactly sure what I'm getting that others are not from this band, but it works for me. This one's going to get a lot of rotation in my disc player!

peas

I've seen them 4 or 5 times and admittedly the bluesfest show was weak, my biggest highlight was seeing them play at the Black Sheep Inn about a year ago, and basically take over the room and play their instruments on chairs and tables all roucous-like.

They're talented musicians generally, and considering they're not more than 21 or 22 I think they're first past the post in their genre...whatever shwa-rock genre that might be.

Wayne pulled off some great work in a few of the Hillside workshops. I like 'em but if you don't I ain't gonna hate on you.

Wayne pulled off some great work in a few of the Hillside workshops. I like 'em but if you don't I ain't gonna hate on you.

Were you at the Saturday Morning Wake-Up workshop? That was sweet... I'm on Fire and Alberta Bound... Luke Doucet should play with everyone all the time.

I really liked how Hillside was a destination for the musicians, not just another gig. A lot lot of them stuck around for the entire weekend.

AD

yeah, i don't know how to describe what is so great about them either. maybe its their demeanour (sp?). not every show is as energetic as the next but they all have their moments. that new "belgium or peru" song is a good one too.

yeah, i don't know how to describe what is so great about them either. maybe its their demeanour (sp?). not every show is as energetic as the next but they all have their moments. that new "belgium or peru" song is a good one too.

If I had to try and pin it down...

I would say that they have that haunting kind of sound that keeps you interested and wondering what will emerge. It rarely pops like a solid jammier band might, but the anti-climax seems to be what the indie ilk is all about so it's well done.

The lead singer's voice crackles and keeps the ear into it. Solid melodies, not a lot of fronting, and cool arrangements, and good harmonies.

They push their sound around quite well too without bastardizing other genres; moving intrumental sections that stay within the confinds of their abilities and their melancholy country roots thing.

Good stuff and I wish them a lot of luck.

Deeps

Edited by Guest

i listened to their new album at the virgin megastore on my way home from work...

i was listenign to the new son volt and esthero albums right before...which are AWESOME by the way (for those who don't know, son volt and wilco happened after the demise of uncle tupelo (as far as i remember...gawd i sure sound like i know my shit huh)) and then i hear the new CTD and see my old college friend mark faris on the cover...he's the drummer...and to be honest, i wasn't blown away.

the recording sounded WAY indie which can be good but it lacked volume push that i KNOW they could've worked into the production considering the versatility of most digital rigs nowadays.

i just had a quick listen and wasn't enticed to stay at that set of headphones for too long.

now as for an awesome alt.country album - check out the new SON VOLT record. i don't remember the title and am too lazy to google it right now, but if you're into fantastic rock/folk songwriting with nifty power hits, melodies that make you think 'how come i haven't thought of that before' and a tight, strong playing then check it out...

and if you're not so into the alt.country vibe check out the new ESTHERO record. she's really made it worth the wait. not as dark but still has that infectious groove...it's just louder and more assertive this time round. what an incredibly sexy woman. i think i'm in love. you will be too.