Jambands.ca

M*A*S*H !!!

bouche

I discovered last week that all of the big DVD stores like Future Shop and HMV are now selling 1st seasons of many TV series at $19.99!!!

Since I've heard of a few friends (most notably Dogatthestation and RubberDinghy) being huge fans, I figure that I have the MASH potential too. Hell, I love garlic mashed potatoes featuring sour cream.

I picked up season 1 of M*A*S*H and I thought there would be a bit of 'WTF is so funny'. I grew up missing mash, but I watched things like Three's Company, Magnum PI, etc. So for me, this is BRAND NEW MATERIAL.

Guess what? I'm laughing my arse off through each and every episode.

Don't hesitate if you're wondering. This show is genious and it's from 1973!!!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

M*A*S*H* - Yes, most definitely a great movie and series. Fantastic writing. One of my all time favourite quotes is a line delivered by Major Frank Burns who in one episode had taken a gun from lockup and it accidentally discharged. When asked how he shot himself in the foot, he replies, "I was polishing my weapon and it discharged prematurely". Those witty writers! I remember watching the final episode and bawling my eyes out...as Ben Harper sings, "it's the woman in me..."

I'm sure Mike Clattenburg was inspired by MASH when creating Trailer Park Boys

Hawkeye Pierce and Trapper John = Julian and Ricky

Hawkeye almost always has a martini in his hand. So does Julian.

Radar = Bubbles

Radar always gets what Hawkeye and Trapper need. Bubbles is reliable in everyway.

Frank Burns = Mr. Lahey

Burns is always out to get Hawkeye and Trapper. What's Lahey do besides trying to screw over Julian and Ricky?

Major 'hot lips' Hulahan = Randy

A strange relationship/partnership that has the 2 working together to take down their nemesisisises.

I can't think of any more connections, but I'm sure there are more.

BTW, I can't believe there is a black character on MASH named 'Spearchucker'.

hawkeye... aka alan alda

suicide is painless

Nope. The song "Suicide Is Painless" was never done with vocals in the TV series (it was the instrumental theme song). There was a character who showed up in several episodes in the first season who sang and played guitar (without doing much else), and it wasn't Hawkeye.

next question..

what was in the bomb that hawkeye diffused??

Propoganda leaflets, from the CIA.

Aloha,

Brad

hawkeye... aka alan alda

suicide is painless

Nope. The song "Suicide Is Painless" was never done with vocals in the TV series (it was the instrumental theme song). There was a character who showed up in several episodes in the first season who sang and played guitar (without doing much else)' date=' and it wasn't Hawkeye.

next question..

what was in the bomb that hawkeye diffused??

Propoganda leaflets, from the CIA.

Aloha,

Brad

whaddya think im new or something..

of course it was insturmental.. but its still the song..

and what a song at that..

IM A MASH NERD...

the tv station prime used to play it all the time two episodes back to back at night..

and

BRAVO BRAD...

NEXT??

Edited by Guest

Yes, but it's not the answer to the question, so I'll give some hints: the person who appeared as "the singing surgeon" is known primarily as a musician, and he made appearances in season 3 (not the first season, as I incorrectly said, above). A careful scan of the episode guide might give the answer...

Aloha,

Brad

Okay, Louden Wainright lll was on the show(?) a few times and contributed music. There's one episode where throughout the show there's a guy playing guitar singing about "Tokyo". Not sure if that's the name of the tune, but I remember in the credits it was by LW and it's a beautiful song...tugs at the old heart strings...

i guess im not a mash nerd..

i had his name on the tip of my tongue..

i had to use IMDB to find it..

'He opened one episode of MASH singing the song "Tokyo", which marked the only time that the series opened without the regular title theme "Suicide is Painless".'

from IMDB mini bio..