Jambands.ca

Ottawa Restaurants BYOW - I am so uncouth

StellaBlue

Ok, does anyone other than me think this is ridiculous???

Bring Your Own Wine Restaurants in Ottawa

I guess I'm just uncultured but what the hell is a corking fee? And what if I 'cork' it myself does that mean I still have to pay...? Because some of the corking fees cost more than a bottle of wine I'd typically buy.

I just wondered what you guys thought?

Give it time - in Australia the corkage is usually about $2/person at a lower end place and as much as $5/person at an really expensive restaurant.

The cheaper places will realize that they can get people in with a lower corkage.

$15-$30 per bottle is ridiculous.

Here's the way to do it. Our favorite restaurant in Ottawa...

Name: Stoneface Dolly's

Corkage Fee: Free corkage! No restrictions!

Other Rules: They don't do: Take Home The Rest.

Check the the consumer faq to get more information on rules.

Wine List: Their wine list is a great small wine list containing lots of non-LCBO wines.

Notes: Offer a delicious comfort-food menu!

I'm definately gonna have to try this place:

I just moved here(Ottawa), 2 days ago and someone emailed me the BYOW website I posted. I thought that a $20 corkage fee in some places was hilarious since the last bottle of wine I bought cost $6.95... hahaha I told you i had no couth.

Here's the way to do it. Our favorite restaurant in Ottawa...

Check the the consumer faq to get more information on rules.

Wine List: Their wine list is a great small wine list containing lots of non-LCBO wines.

Notes: Offer a delicious comfort-food menu!

Had a great breaky the morning after The Sisters show @ Maverick's. Awesome little restaurant and every table was taken.

Hey Stella, as long as the staff don't approach you and tell you to "put a cork in it", I think you'll be fine...lame lame lame. It's Monday and that's my excuse...

Thanks for that website, it looks like many of the early adopters have lowered their corkage fees.

Now why didn't I know that Stoneface dolly's was BYOW with no corkage. I see Bobby Mac and a bottle of Mateus Rosé in my future.

Bob would probably sit down with you and share a glass ;)

I as well see a visit there in my very near future....FOR DINNER! They have a killer dinner.

Stone Face Dolly's doesn't take reservations for breakfast as most of us know, however for lunch and dinner (both of which are culinary perfection) you must have a reservation.

And just a note to the Ottawa boys to keep in their noggins. GO TO SFD ON VALENTINES DAY. They make it incredibly special. Enough said.

And just a note to the Ottawa boys to keep in their noggins. GO TO SFD ON VALENTINES DAY.

Why? Does the place fill up with smart, funny, attractive single women who are willing to spend time with bachelors in need of female companionship?

Aloha,

Brad

• 4 weeks later...

I went to Stoneface Dolly's (Bronson) and have to make this important announcement.

The details on this website: www.bringmywine.ca are incorrect. Stoneface dolly's is NOT advertising their bring your own wine option at either location. The free corkage thing is also null should they decide to do it in the future.

Four of us went last night thinking they were BYOW but were told otherwise. Seeing that we'd been misled the waiter made an exception for us and decanted our bottle out of view of other patrons, but for now it appears they aren't doing the BYOW thing unless you're, say, a group of 20 or you're bringing an expensive '82 bordeaux or something.

The food was good as always, but I think they're better skilled with breakfast and lunch, and the service was disastrous despite the wine concession.