Jambands.ca

Why is the East-Coast scene so strong?

Magnum

[color:red]So I cruised out to Evovle and to the East-Coast scene with Higgins and TC in the Ferrari, and I was amazed to see how strong the jam-band/music scene is out there.

[color:red]

On the long drive back to the Robin's Nest in Hawaii, TC and I got to talking. We wondered why the East-Coast scene is so strong, seeing as there is so few peiople out there (in the grand sceme of things) and people generally have less money to spend on the East-coast...then say in a place like Toronto.

So I ask you, why do you think the East-coast scene is so strong and the Ontario scene so underdeveloped/weak in comparison. Especially when Ontario has a way greater population and much more money in general.

You comments and thought appricated.

[color:blue]

Well I'm off to the Kamayamaya club to have Mi-Ties with Rick.

Hang Loose. Magnum Out.

magnumfoto1.gif

Edited by Guest

Magnum, what do you think about sorting women out by their breast sizes and then racing them around a Las Vegas racetrack?

Just wondering, thanks.

My good sir I think it's an idea who's time has come. In fact, if it wern't for that "murder she wrote" wanna be, Agatha hanging around the Estate, we'd have done that by now.

Curses! The good stuff always hits Oahu last. Oh well.

But back to the thread....any thoughts on the East-Coast thing. Higgins really wants to know. We're thinking of getting Robin Master's to do a book reading at the next year's Evolve.

Edited by Guest

I think it has to do with 1/ Larger acts not making the trek up there, and 2/the grassroots scene is held together by groups of friends... when the JSB hit Fredericton, people in town have an idea who will be in the crowd... so the friend connection is another reason people will show. On top of that JSB know their audience, they hang out before and after the show, so it's an intimate scene.

Right now Slowcoaster is rockin' the eastcoast... and is considered one of the most exciting bands in Maritimes.

jaydawg hit the nail on the head for sure...not many bigs acts so all the focus is on our local scene and the inimacy of the shows and the connection between the bands and the audience...slowcoaster is rockin oiut the maritimes..along with many others...especioally divne heist, recent winners of the boardrock battle of the bands for 5000$....and are working on an amzing new studio album to be out sometime this winter....keep and Eyes out for em folks...if ya havent heard em they'l;l blow ya away!

Another point to make relates to the volume of shows going on. Ontario may have more people, but the show:population radio is smaller, so a saturation factor has to be considered. So many shows going on all the time in Ontario, and the increase in shows doesnt' change the fact your wallet doesn't inflate with the influx of shows.

Nice answers, but the real reason the east rocks is because I moved out here. ;)

There may be a lack of big shows, but there is certainly no lack of shows. I'm looking at Thurs. Little Feat, Fri. Grand Theft Bus and Sat. Vorcza this weekend alone.

Just to play devil's advocate here, I wonder what JSB's thought on the grassroots scene is considering they are playing smaller venues than they were a year ago?

The East Coast is a great place to be a music fan, but I am not sure if it is stronger than anywhere else. Its like it was stated above, less saturation in prime markets- leads to lower tier bands playing to larger crowds. The same goes for the job market out here, if you've got a little bit of marketability it goes a long way since there aren't 46 million people along one highway.

That being said, I think the scene is as strong as others- but folks from out here tend to vocalize their love for anything Maritime alot more than most. I mean geez when I read Del's agrandizements of Slowcoaster I assumed he must have been born out here before moving to Upper Canada.

Good music scene, great folks- but isn't that what Canada is all about?

I would gladly move back to Yawntario and get to catch U2, White Stripes or the other major touring acts that all ignore NB (Stones and Pearl Jam thankfully excluded).

Sean

ps. Don't ask why- just visit and you'll see!