Jambands.ca

Lost

Ms.Huxtable

I see that this show cleaned up at the Emmys last night. Has anyone seen it?

Bouche rented the first 4 episodes and we watched them last night. I found it very boring and the characters very shallow.

In four episodes only a couple things happened.

Is this going to get any better or should I go with my gut on this one and not waste any more of my time?

Lost is an arch show. I wouldn't call the characters shallow at all, although the blonde girl with her " brother " is shallow, but that's her just her character's personality.

The characters are all strangers with many secrets. You find out more about their personality through season long flashbacks, which are just as interesting as the real-time storyline.

I love the show and it deserved to win an Emmy.

Lost along with Deadwood are my two favourite new shows. I haven't seen Rescue Me yet, but judging by Booche's raves, it's of the same quality calibre.

__Small Spoiler__

I really liked the pilot - like a lot - specially when dude got sucked into the engine

but as i tried to watch the series i did find it hard to stay on the channel. The last couple were pretty good too though - specially when the condescending dude got blown to bits - that was very cool

It definitely has its moments and it has a lot of boring too - i will check out a few of this seasons episodes to see if it's any better.

Edited by Guest

I only checked it out 'cause I heard several friends rant and rave all aboot it. So I d/l'd it all and gave it a shot without hesitation. I found it slow to start, but intersting at how the characters slowly develop from the flashbacks. By the end, it definitely sucked me in... I could be watching this season (despite hate being kept in suspense).

I never lost interest in it because I blasted through the whole season in 3 days. My eyes burn though, and I was having strange dreams in between.

Someone at work brought in the first season DVD set and I saw my first episode over lunch today -- episode 3. I thought it was ok but I wouldn't go out of my way to follow it.

Shallow is a good description for the characters. The writing and acting didn't strike me as being at the same level of quality as the sundry cable dramas.

And, with this episode in particular, I really hated the ending, with Party of Five-boy absolving the sins of a woman who could be a killer for all he knows. Just really cheesey writing and delivery.

Lost reminded me just how much I prefer "reality" TV.

Hurley just wasnt in the picture - i saw a picture and said - yep, yep - yep that's a good story and posted it. :) Hurleys curse is good. i think mainly its just the doctor and the girl who get irritating. Well that's not true, i'm not so big on the romances either.

There is definitely a lot going on though.

I hear they are introducing more characters this season too - more passengers.

I wouldnt start watchign on episode 3 though - i think you really need to start with the pilot

It's not a series with stand-alone episodes. If you don't watch all the episodes in order, you won't know what's going on.

Yeah, I totally get that and kept that in mind while watching the episode. It wasn't awful and I think I understand why people are into it. I'd watch it again if it's on at lunch but I'm not going to go out of my way to see how it continues. My main criticism is that the writing and acting do not meet the bar set by such dramas as The Sopranos and Six Feet Under.

The writing is fresh, the plots are unpredictable and the acting gets increasingly better - as the actors understand their characters more and more. Episodes begin to focus on each character throughout season one. I still don't know very much about any of the characters. I can't wait to find out more. Some of them have some serious skeletons.

Lost is a cult series that just happens to be a hit.

love the show....love it, love it. Grum and I were glued to the screen every episode. I think you have to watch it a bit to understand what is going on, and then the interesting backgroud stuff is what really hooks ya.

and it doesn't hurt that Sawyer is a BABE!!!!!!!!!!!

I still haven't seen the last episoide... though I heard they didn't really reveal anything and it just lead to another cliff hanger.

It did reveal important things and it was an excellent episode. It was an infuriatingly good cliff-hanger. The creep level was turned up on the last episode.

Lost is a start to finisher, not episodic. I became hooked early on by the fact that little things kept popping up. If you pay attention, the numbers really drive the whole series. There is a scene in the airport where the numbers appear in order lined up on the back of the jerseys of a girl's soccer team. Just neat details like that (plus a ton of mysteries and chance to create your own theories) make this my only must see right now.

Jaimoe, I also love Deadwood. What great characterization. And the soliloquoies!