Jambands.ca

Wedding Alternatives

Deeps

I was @ a wedding this past weekend and we (my fiance and I) estimated it cost about $25,000.

It seems ridiculous to have parents of people getting married to incurr this much debt simply to have a party for the kids to get hitched at.

Not wanting to cheap right out and not do the importance of my upcoming wedding in the summer of 2007 justice and not wanting to break the bank I was wondering what my options are.

Wondering what weddings y'all have been to that you enjoyed which probably didn't break the parents financially.

Edited by Guest

hey deeps!

niffermouse and i got married may 2004 for way less than $25 000...we had it in the barn at the agricultural museum in milton. barbecue catering, harvard mouse as the band, open bar (beer & wine), very good time and extremely reasonably priced.

why people spend that money they do on weddings is beyond me. in contrast, my sister got married at the McMichael Gallery and spent way over $25K on her wedding...

to each their own, i guess.

PM me if you would like more info about the park or the caterer....

congratulations on getting hitched btw!!

Yeah, congrats Deeps! You guys are so cute. :)

We're going to a wedding in a couple of weeks where the bride has spent $10K+ on the catering alone. CRAZY!!! My family has been doing the small wedding/big party after kind of deal. I don't know of anyone who had their folks pay for the wedding. It's usually the couple (most likely with some help from both families) who pay for the celebration these days. My family's HUGE and I'd break the bank just trying to feed them alone. The tradition has become to have some funky private wedding in Mexico or in a country school house or something and then have a rager later on. The couple get to spend their big day together (and not trying to visit with 300 people), and they enjoy the party later on WAY more because there's no stress. I'm all for the tiny ceremony and crazy party after. Convincin' my better half may not be easy though.

My sister's wedding was GIGANTIC, and EXPENSIVE. I certainly am NOT going that route, hopefully. If I ever even GET married, that is...

Anyhow, I think the Mudcock's (of Babsy Mudcock fame) wedding was about the BEST I've EVER been to. Very laid back, just like them. Anyhow, it was WAY better than some I've been to that cost tens of thousands, easily. I have no idea about costs or anything as far as that goes... But certainly that is the wedding by which my standards are set.

Something to be said about two people who exude love and happiness, being with their friends and family who want to share in celebrating that... That's what makes a wedding, to me, not the cost of the catering...

"People can you feel it? Love is everywhere..."

Anyhow, you might want to ask them for some suggestions... And I think that if babs reads this, he should PM me with a phone # I can reach him at... Soon. I freaking MISS you guys. GOSH!

SfC

a friend of mine had his wedding in mexico at an all inclusive resort.. the actual service was on the beach at sunset..

what they did is invited all their close friends down for the adventure..

now this not only cut down on cost for them as they didnt have to cover costs for the wedding party and guests..

they did cover the wedding day meals and booze at the service..

we went for a week and then they(the couple) stayed for another week by their selves..

now it was expesive still but it wasnt 25 000$

The most beuatiful wedding I attended had each guest bring something for a pot luck dinner (best meal ever at a wedding, what variety!), bring tents and camp out on a farm, bring lawn chairs for a simple outdoor ceremony and dance all night long to the Jimmy Swift Band. They served coffee and toast in the morning.

I can't imagine that wedding costing a lot of money and it was the most memorable wedding I've ever attended. We felt as though we contributed and were part of a very intimate experience.

I'm for a small civil ceremony or eloping and having a big celebration party later. Why start out your lives together in debt when 50% of marriages end as a result of financial problems?

My wife and I got married at city hall with just our parents and her brother...went out for dinner after (and the folks paid...nice!). I have a very small family so we just had a dinner to celebrate a couple of weeks later, and Robins family had a big bash at her parents property a few weeks later. Sure we didn't pull in all that wedding cash, but we didn't spend it either. The other trick to doing it this way is don't tell anyone until about a week before (we actually didn't tell our parents until about 4 days before the wedding). This way no one can say "well what about JUST inviting Uncle Joe"...

I work for a wedding photography company out of Toronto and the amount people spend on their weddings is obscene. We are quite expensive (the company I work for), so we tend to do very high end weddings or huge ethnic ones. Last weekend I shot an Italian wedding with 350 guests...we're talking in the $100,000 range...makes me feel sick...but hey they pay well! Maybe I'm part of the problem :P

I always wanted just to have a big roast picnic. Sorry for the vegetarians out there. But like a big quarter cow on a spit over a fire like they do at church picnics.

I figured that would be inexpensive and fun.

But mom wanted us to do it at Strathmere which was lovely i have to admit. Not in the $25,000 range but maybe $10000 all together with everything put in. Which is a car really.

Fun time, beautiful location... would i do it again? prolly not. but it was nice.

Edited by Guest

I knew a guy who told everyone he was having a hawaiian-style pig roast, and that everyone had to come dressed in hawaiian shirts and such. Just a barbecue, that's all... until halfway through the party, they announced it was their wedding, and pulled out a minister who performed the ceremony.

Kind of a reverse surprise party.

The only thing non-traditional/alternative about my upcoming wedding is that we'll be getting married by a ' humanist ' minister. I'm hoping the minister doesn't look and act like Wavy Gravy.

My wedding costs are getting pretty high. I'm hoping for some sort of open bar, but given the drunkards that will be in attendance, i.e. Booche and Davey Boy, I'm re-thinking that option.

Incidently, I know of couples that have been married in small private ceremonies in remote parts of the world. However, to appease friends and family that were not at the wedding ceremony, they held a non-reception type party in their town, with friends and family invited to informally celebrate their union. It cuts wedding and reception costs, and everyone seems satisfied.

Edited by Guest