Jambands.ca

Kings' Avery sounds off on French NHLers

SevenSeasJim

[color:red]Booche, do you wear a visor? :wink:

Los Angeles Kings forward Sean Avery - never one to shy away from opinion - had plenty of strong words regarding Phoenix Coyotes defenceman Denis Gauthier and French Canadian hockey players.

When asked about the blueliner's hit on Kings teammate Jeremy Roenick in a preseason game Sunday night, Avery did not hold back digging into Gauthier and Quebec-born NHLers.

"I think it was a clean hit," he explained on Tuesday. "I think it was typical of most French guys in our league with a visor on, running around and playing tough and not back anything up."

"I'd think if a guy like Brett Hull was coming up the middle, somebody probably wouldn't have stepped up and hit him, but like I said, a typical move from a guy wearing a visor that certainly doesn't like to get scratched at all."

Avery later apologized through a team-issued press release.

"I certainly did not want to offend anyone with my comments earlier today," the statement read. "I am an emotional guy who sometimes says things that shouldn't be said. I apologize if I offended anyone."

Gauthier insists he wasn't trying to injure Jeremy Roenick when he levelled the veteran Kings.

Roenick, who was livid with Gauthier after the game, suffered the 11th documented concussion of his career as a result of the clean hit that Gauthier delivered during the second period.

Roenick said that he has spoken with Gauthier and buried the hatchet after a lenghty discussion.

It isn't the first time Avery has made controversial remarks surrounding the game.

During the NHL lockout, he told Toronto sports radio The Fan 590 that he wouldn't mind the possibility of dropping NHL teams and jobs at the expense of players from overseas.

"I think they can eliminate a lot of Europeans who are mediocre and are taking a lot of jobs," Avery told The Fan 590 in February.

When told that the NHL Players' Association did a lot of things for the best interests of all players - regardless of background - Avery maintained that it was his own opinion.

"The Association does a lot of things," he said. "I'm just talking for me."

When the lockout ended in July, Avery said NHL players were wrong and sorry while holding back no punches on NHLPA boss Bob Goodenow.

"We were brainwashed," he told the L.A. Times about the decision to follow the union's advice during contract talks with the owners.

"I am furious at Bob. Bob thought he was bigger than he was. Bob brainwashed players like me."

He has been a dick ever since he played for the Kingston Frontenacs. When he was there the Frontenac's went to my high school. He was a pompous ass. Hasn't changed one bit, he complains that French-Canadian guys don't back their shit up. He is probably the worst example of a weasel who sticks guys and is dirty and can't back it up. I remember seeing him get fed a couple of times for this crap.

• 2 weeks later...

McGuire was on the Team this morning saying that Avery is a very hated man in hockey right now because of his most recent comments and ones about the deal the NHLPA got. Players are looking to get their "licks" in on this guy and he has taken many shots to the face this season.

Funny enough POG, McGuire added something else. Edmonton was just in LA. Where the visiting team bus unloads the players, they also have valet parking for the home team. As a few players and McTavish mingled around the team bus, Avery and a few teamates showed up to get their cars. A few choice words directed towards Avery and a brawl almost developed until players were pulled away.

You dont get to hear this stuff on Sportsdesk!

Oh, I forgot to add another thing. Actually, this is rather important. With regards to the whole 'bus' incident with the Oilers, sounds like Avery made some sort of racist remark towards Laroque during the game. Edmonton is filing a complaint.

Plain and simple, this Avery idiot is a tool.

When the Coyotes played LA in their next game, Gauthier skated up to Avery and challenged him. Avery skated away.

Domi called Avery out and challenged him at a NHLPA meeting in the summer when Avery switched sides and supported the owners.

Glen Healey thinks the league might " look the other way " in regards to an instigator penalty if someone like Big Georges goes after Avery. I'm thinking the Avery beating line will be pretty long.

It's nothing like having Domi and Laraque both wanting to kill you for legitimate reasons.