Jambands.ca

Does Anybody Care About Trey Anastasio Anymore?

MarcO

After all the drama of Phish breaking up, Coventry, and the Zooma cancellation, the lack of discussion regarding Trey is remarkable.

Two tours have passed, with only a minimum of attention paid to them around here.

His current tour dates, announced this past week, can be viewed on this board....... in a thread found back around page 7 or 8.

His birthday wishes have been met with drug-abuse jokes and the relative sound of crickets chirping.

What a difference a year makes. If Phish had just announced their Fall Tour, this place would be agog with speculation and delight.

Trey: hope you like your new direction?

Please note, I am not ranting on Trey (that'll come in due course), just noticing the complete lack of excitement over a man who used to be at the absolute centre of whatever it is that inspired sites like this to come along, and all of us to find each other (whether you were a Phish fan, or a "jam" fan is besides the point).

What do you think?

Edited by Guest
I changed the title a little.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i Still absolutely love the man and his music... but his direction since leaving Phish hasnt been something that has embraced me like his previous endeavours... im hearing good things about the production value of "Shine" but will reserve judgement untill ive given it a few listens...

As for no Phish... its like the hiatus all over again... getting into more and more new bands and diggin on other music... but alas i always come back to a Phish show in the end ...

just noticing the complete lack of excitement over a man who used to be at the absolute centre of whatever it is that inspired sites like this to come along, and all of us to find each other (whether you were a Phish fan, or a "jam" fan is besides the point).

Makes ya wonder if it was really about the music or just the scene for some,perhaps more so then anyone really thought or wanted to admit,I dunno,I've always been indifferent to the whole Phish scene,was never my thing,regardless how similar it was with the GD scene.(which also had its bandwagoners)

I like the new album from what I have heard so far,I dig some of the new shows & I really wish he'd play up here for freakin sakes.But that doesn't mean I won't take my poke at em where I can though.

I'm sure you do Brian,along with numerous others I'd imagine.Like I said though,it just makes me wonder is all,not that I feel that way.

I've just never seen a community of people turn so quickly on someone they held in such high regard,within 6 months he went from basically the king of the jam music scene to a bum (according to alot of fans) somthing which I found rather disappointing because with all my teases & trolling Phish fans in the past I did always point out I liked Trey & his music.

A great man, or Dr.Huxtable, once aptly pointed out that a supergroup is the sum of its parts and that bashing/fellating one member doesn't always have the bruisy/spunky consequences one might think.

Whether or not he took his own advice, that may be what's happening here. I listened to that Trey song that someone posted and thought it was so-so, but if Trey had been one guy with a song he'd be completely indistinguishable from any random new song that can be found out there in the cyberworld.

I think it is a typical human reaction of "What Have You Done For Me Lately"?

trey seems to have legions of really gutted former fans who can't believe that he disbanded phish, and seems to have gone in a different musical direction...the only way he could have not done this though would have been to take the jerry trip and be remembered as a near deity...

just my $0.02

I care.

Sort of in the way you still care about a friend who used to be your best friend. But then he got into heavy drugs and stopped being as sharp as he used to be. Then began to push away other really good friends, who you know will never be the same again.

You care, but you can't be bothered to expend the energy to love anymore.

I have to agree somewhat on the Phish thing was a little more about the scene than the music.

I watched IT the other day. It's hard to give a shit about these perfectly good tunes they seemed to chop the fuck out of with a mindless musical meandering. I loved "limb by limb" until I heard them disappear from the tune into god know where.

Anywho. Trey is talented and seems more focussed on songstering.

Phish fans have a hard time relating to that.

On the other hand even when he is playing SONGS it does kind of seem lack luster when he plays some, say the TAB songs, without a horn section.

He can go fuck himself for not touring with TAB. TAB kicks ass and had a great collective vibe.

Oysterhead...something other than the generic action he's throwing out now. Seems like he's taken the easy way out and thrown together some shoddy 5 piece....not cool compared to his other independant schtuff.

Edited by Guest

I loved "limb by limb" until I heard them disappear from the tune into god know where.

um...... that's exactly why I paid attention to Phish for so long, that kind of stuff...... the further out, the better - that was where their genius lay, imo, not in composition or proficiency.

to each their own though.

I still get chills remembering the hose-down they gave us at SPAC.

I loved "limb by limb" until I heard them disappear from the tune into god know where.

the further out' date=' the better - that was where their genius lay, imo, not in composition or proficiency.

to each their own though.

I still get chills remembering the hose-down they gave us at SPAC.

[/quote']

second night at SPAC is still my favorite phish show of the ones i have attended..

i saw trey in NYC at the hammerstein and i was impressed both nights.. but no to the point i was with phish..

he is my favorite guitarist..

but as fluffhead pointed out.. hes in his adult contemporary phase..

and is writing songs that you will hear in the elevator..

i agree with the statment about the horns.. i have yet to see them with trey.. and the energy they bring was definetly missing int NYC..

curious who is in the new line-up for his band??

are there any horns this time round..

Edited by Guest

i thought Trey wiuld be moving forward after leaving Phlush, but he hasn't really.

he needs to stop playing Phish and TAB songs altogether. i could live without the covers too. wasn't one of the main reasons he disbanded because he was tired of playing Fluffhead? i think he was just tired of playing with the other 3.

heres my rundown on the main Trey bands

Phish - grand

Oysterhead - meh

Tab-lite - tits

TAB w/horns - the improv sucked but the composed sections were cool.

70VP - right now i'd say, "who cares?"

i still care about the wanker i just wish he would stop with this cover band bullshit.