Jambands.ca

Addison Groove Project better than the Slip?

Guest Low Roller

Guest Low Roller

You see, I never bother with "styles". I categorize music into two bins: "good" and "bad". So far the Slip have done nothing to merit being pulled out of the "bad" bin in my ears.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 piece jazz/indie band vs. 6 piece funk band? How do you not see that as being a far fetched comparison?

Pure semantics.

I don't care if one of the bands had a guy farting into a mic wired into a distortion petal and the other one squeezed cats like accordians. Bottom line is that when it comes to choosing which band to listen to' date=' I will choose AGP over the Slip.

[/quote']

Fair enough, no one really cares if you end up liking The Slip or not... I just think AGP is a really poor choice for a comparison. Why not compare them to the White Stripes or Radiohead? I mean, in the end you will choose them over The Slip as well...

Guest Low Roller

If no one cares if I like the Slip, how come people always come out to attack me when I voice my opinion? Eh Booche?

I chose AGP because that's what I happened to be listening to when this thread topic came to mind. It's been too long since I enraged the Cavern.

If no one cares if I like the Slip, how come people always come out to attack me when I voice my opinion? Eh Booche?

I chose AGP because that's what I happened to be listening to when this thread topic came to mind. It's been too long since I enraged the Cavern.

I'm too old to get enraged anymore... Keep on digging AGP brah, [color:purple]the white boy funk never gets old...

roller - you really have to hear some new slip. '97 aint gonna cut it for what you're looking for. wait till the album comes out next spring, give it a chance - i think it'll be different than what you've heard so far. now, i dont know what you're missing, either, given your musical tastes... you're a strange music listening anomaly, as far as im concerned...

im not even gonna comment on an AGP vs. The Slip comparison as to who is better... better? i dont think thats a fair thing to say... i wouldnt even say the slip are better - i just like them a lot more than AGP.

maybe this is another example of where the question should have been...

You're in a city where both The Slip and AGP are playing the same time on the same night in a similar venue and both won't cost you anything. You can only choose one. The year is 2005. Which do you choose.

The Slip - Turn to page 35.

AGP - Turn to page 127.

I'd go see The Slip because they have great songs. Secondarily, they are excellent and imaginative players.

If I wanted to see another generic soul-less funk band that I'll forget as soon as they leave the stage then I'll go see AGP and stand outside and smoke pot, waiting for the mind-numbing nonsense inside to end.

They're No Addison Groove Project!

Something in the air felt very pure as I entered the Higher Ground this past Friday. The only other time I had been there I experienced The Slip's alter-ego band Surprise Me Mr Davis. Of the two rooms this venue has to offer, I never questioned that we wouldn't be in the smaller one. As we lined up with the other patrons, I soon realized this gig was being presented in the larger room that has recently hosted such acts as Ween and Ratdog. The sound, stage and perfect size gave me hope that this would be a fantastic show and The Slip - once again - proved their undeniable mettle. Considering the offshoot and the fact that two-thirds of the band had moved to a different city, let alone another country, the band waltzed in to the Higher Ground and proceeded to turn the place inside itself with a thoughtful performance.

(read more when this is officially posted)

Edited by Guest

Guest Low Roller
Its not your voicings so much as its the sound of your redundantly whiny voice.

Interesting that you think I am whining. I am merely stating my opinion with a tongue-in-cheek attempt to rile up some folks. You're the one who seems to be overreacting because I've hit upon a topic that you are emotionally-driven by.

I guess my job here is done.

Guest Low Roller
I'd go see The Slip because they have great songs. Secondarily, they are excellent and imaginative players.

If I wanted to see another generic soul-less funk band that I'll forget as soon as they leave the stage then I'll go see AGP and stand outside and smoke pot, waiting for the mind-numbing nonsense inside to end.

Maybe that's what I'm missing- The mind-altering substances that make droning uninteresting music sound good.