Jambands.ca

Band of Brothers Begins Tonight

can-o-phish

For those of you who haven't seen this mini-series yet and want to see, IMHO, one of the best produced mini-docs ever about the many faces of WWll, this is something that should not be missed.

Actual accounts of Easy Company's part with Easy Company veterans speaking at the beginning of each episode. These are real stories and what they've left out for personal reasons one can only imagine, though wouldn't want to.

This starts tonight on History Channel at 9:00pm.

I agree with you Tuna-man. Band of Brothers was likely the best thing television has ever offered.

As Remembrance Day approaches, the poppies everywhere are actually reminding me of the images I saw in Band of Brothers. How fortunate I am to not have many other references.

Tuna-man...love it...how I laugh :o

Yep, HBO really nailed this production. Most episodes are directed and produced by different people so nothing becomes repetative or redundant. There are so many things that are brought to light and it was also a nice touch that it wasn't really "rah rah America" but more of a period in time where those who went to fight did it because they knew it had to be done. I can't even begin to imagine that "call of duty" that they heard and reacted to and we are all so lucky for what they gave...

This is the part where I bite my tongue about how US industry financed German rearmament through the 1930s.

[edit to add - oops, missed :P )

I'm not trying to detract from how desperately important it was to stop that thing in its tracks, btw; I was looking at a review of a new book on Dietrich Bonhoffer this morning, it's good to know that people of heart on all sides did what they did to bring it to an end.]

Edited by Guest
Noticed banality of own post

The thing I find most interesting is that they used a different director for each 'part'. In case you didnt know, Tom Hanks directed part 5. Here is the the list:

David Frankel (parts 7 "The Breaking Point" and 9 "Why We Fight")

Tom Hanks (part 5 "Crossroads")

David Leland (part 6 "Bastogne")

Richard Loncraine (part 2 "Day of Days")

David Nutter (part 4 "Replacements")

Phil Alden Robinson (part 1 "Currahee")

Mikael Salomon (parts 3 "Carentan" and 10 "Points")

Tony To (segment 8 "The Last Patrol")

By the time the "Bastogne" episode is over I swear I'm chilled to the bone...fug they went through hell'n'back more than a few times...

yep, that one nailed all of my nerves and fears of war. I easily was able to conjure the fear, pain and mayhem that must have been associated with that event.

I agree, the Bastogne episode was one of the best. I can't believe that Easy Company had to live through those types of conditions. What makes that episode more chilling is how the men from Easy Company describe the conditions. It makes the mini series even more real. One of the most chilling was when one of the men still to this day, tells his wife on a cold day that he is glad that he does not have to sleep out side.

i really like this show too...i used to be able to rent the videos of it in tokyo. i've only seen about 10 episodes though, would love to catch the rest of them!

Well, you've seen them all.

Almost everything HBO produces turns out great. Carnivale, Deadwood and Rome as well as Band Of Brothers are some of the best TV dramas I've ever watched.

i really like this show too...i used to be able to rent the videos of it in tokyo. i've only seen about 10 episodes though' date=' would love to catch the rest of them!

[/quote']

Well, you've seen them all.

Almost everything HBO produces turns out great. Carnivale, Deadwood and Rome as well as Band Of Brothers are some of the best TV dramas I've ever watched.

How great is 'Rome' eh? I absolutely love that show right now.

Jaimoe, Do you think that will be a single season series or do you think it will run past this year?

Tim