Jambands.ca

U.S. Senate votes for oil drilling in Arctic refuge

SevenSeasJim

U.S. Senate votes for oil drilling in Arctic refuge

Last Updated Thu, 03 Nov 2005 14:49:13 EST

CBC News

The U.S. Senate voted Thursday to reject a final attempt to protect Alaska's Arctic National Wildlife Refuge from oil drilling.

Senator Maria Cantwell tried to stop plans to open up the Alaska wilderness with an amendment, but it was defeated by a vote of 51-48.

Arctic National Wildlife Refuge

Senators are now expected to approve a budget bill containing a provision that allows drilling. That approval will likely come this week.

The House of Representatives is expected to debate its own bill regarding oil drilling next week. Members there have been more adamant than senators in their support of drilling.

Drilling supporters say the stores of crude would raise $2.4 billion US in government leasing fees, reduce U.S. reliance on foreign oil imports and create thousands of American jobs.

Canadian officials are opposed to the plan, arguing it will disrupt a migrating caribou herd that crosses the border and the native groups on both sides that depend on the caribou. The area is also an important habitat for migratory birds, polar bears, and other animals.

Opponents in Canada and the U.S. say there is not enough oil in the refuge to substantially lower gasoline prices, and the crude would not find its way into the market for at least a decade.

sigh...i wonder how many barrels of oil would be saved by replacing all the SUV's with sensibly sized vehicles...

the irony of all this seems to be that it's now easier to get at the arctic oil because of global warming. of course the offshore oil infrastructure in the gulf of mexico is taking an ass-whooping on account of the same climate trends...

if anyone needs me, i'll be standing on a streetcorner ranting about the approach of the end of the world :)

sigh...i wonder how many barrels of oil would be saved by replacing all the SUV's with sensibly sized vehicles...

the irony of all this seems to be that it's now easier to get at the arctic oil because of global warming. of course the offshore oil infrastructure in the gulf of mexico is taking an ass-whooping on account of the same climate trends...

if anyone needs me, i'll be standing on a streetcorner ranting about the approach of the end of the world :)

im right behind ya dude

its bullshit any way you cut it. It seems to me that the big guys that say there is no global warming, want the global warming to melt the ice up there so it finally opens that long saught after shipping route between here and there. fucking bastards, theyll do anything to make a buck, stab their own fucking gramma

BULLSHIT

They say that there is only about 6 months worth of oil up there, seems like a complete waste of time, energy, and environment for such a small amount of oil.

Shame on you G.W.

exactly :) not just that, but a minor bit of conservation would save orders of magnitude more oil than what they can extract in alaska.

how long until the next presidential election???

Dubya is a wendigo.

insult of the day :)

The Inuit...called the creature by various names, including Wendigo, Witigo, Witiko and Wee-Tee-Go but each of them was roughly translated to mean "the evil spirit that devours mankind". Around 1860, a German explorer translated Wendigo to mean "cannibal" among the tribes along the Great Lakes.

i don't think he's wiry enough to actually kill people himself, he probably has guys that do that sort of thing for him.

proxy wendigo??