Jambands.ca

I'm a tofurgin

Alexis

Sari showed me this kewl thing to do with tofu when i lived with her and after a few attempts i've finally figured it out.

i have a couple questions tho...is tofu good until the date on the package once you've opened the package, or only for 3-4 days after opening the package like the directions say..on the package? (that's a lot of package) I don't cook it all at the same time. i cut it into 1/4's, ziplock 3 and cook the other one.

i can only eat like 1/4 of the package at a time and i don't feel like eating tofu 4 days straight.

Also, I only know how to make 1 thing. I get the extra firm tofu and soak it in VH honey garlic sauce and make stir fry. Does anyone know anything else i can do with this...that's good? and doesn't taste too...tofuy? the only reason i like what sari showed me is cause it tastes and has the same texture as meat.

I thought there was a food section, but i guess not anymore...and i could look up some recipe website but i thought i'd trust you heady 8th stage vegan wookies on here first.

I have to eat a lot of Tofu cuz my GF is a veggie. There's many different ways to make it, and from what I gather, its all about soaking it in something to gain flavour. But I think that just shows how much I DONT know about how to cook it. I used to live with one of those 8th stage veegan wookies you speak of and, hell he made shit the Queen of England would be proud of. So, ya, your on the right track, just be patient and wait for the right person to come along with the right recipe. But for goodness sakes, stay the hell away from the freakin Tofurkies!

that was just gonna be my advice -- perfectly acceptable (even preferable) to freeze tofu. It does get a nicer texture that also soaks up marinade better. Basically, Alexis, just replace any marinaded meat recipe with tofu.

Do you do any Indian dishes, curries and such? Tofu is a great addition there.

finally, if you're feeling adventurous, there's a great meat-substitute called TVP. Usually you buy it in bulk, dried, and have to soak it...but this is often a hard sell for tofu-fence-sitters. Instead buy the YVES veggie 'ground round'...it seriously looks like ground beef and is great in chili, stews, shepherd's pie, etc, etc.

good luck, Alexis...and if you hate what you end up with, at least you'll be varying Darius' diet. LOL!

Instead buy the YVES veggie 'ground round'...it seriously looks like ground beef and is great in chili, stews, shepherd's pie, etc, etc.

Agreed. I've done some really nice pasta sauces (onions, garlic, bell pepper, plum tomatoes, veggie ground round, red wine, all in a skillet) with this stuff; the sauce also works well over rice.

Aloha,

Brad

Tofu's shit. Squeezed from the backsides of Portuguese babies. I'd rather eat my mother's pad.

I just spit beer on my screen. holy fack! I'm bumping this just so others don't miss out.

haha..yup I allmost dumped my coffee on my keyboard. Good lord Lazlove...you're a nugget.

As for Tofu...don't eat too much...seems some folks are suggesting it may very well absorb the nutrients from the rest of yer meal :o I'll try and find where I read that. Though that said I lived on Tofu for 17 years and at my last blood testing all my vits and minerals were in perfect harmony but that could simply be good genage?

I like to cover it in Tahini, soy sauce, seseme seads and fry 'er up with olive oil or/and peanut oil and red chili oil....sliced anyway ya like it.

Instead buy the YVES veggie 'ground round'...it seriously looks like ground beef and is great in chili' date=' stews, shepherd's pie, etc, etc.

[/quote']

Agreed. I've done some really nice pasta sauces (onions, garlic, bell pepper, plum tomatoes, veggie ground round, red wine, all in a skillet) with this stuff; the sauce also works well over rice.

Aloha,

Brad

and we're going to make tacos with it tonight.

TimmyB and I will eat the real meat (ground beef). Karen and Laurie can have the ground round. But seriously, that stuff is so versatile, you really could fool someone into thinking it was ground beef.

i've had the veggie ground round before. hehehe sari made hamburger helper with the dried stuff one night, and the ground round another and the ground round was infinitely better. i've had it before that and since.

Basically, i'm not trying to eat veggie....i'm trying to not spend money. you can't get 500gms of meat for $1.75 unless you want the 4 day old "mixed ground meat" package at food basics, which i don't.

and the only marinated meat recipe i can think of is stirfry....i'm not big on indian food, but redd did make this yummy butter chicken thing the other night...i bet i could make that.

no one has answered my how long does tofu last after you open the package question!

I used to make stir-fry dinners with tofu (essentially just chopped veggies + diced tofu) and found that the leftover tofu would easily be fine two or three days later. I kept it in a plastic container in the fridge, in water, which I changed daily.

Aloha,

Brad

Edited by Guest

i need to keep it in water? oops. i thought that was just tofu juice in the package.

ok i'm going to freeze these 1/4 package biatches then. cause i can't eat tofu everynight for 4 nights straight. i'll hate it if i do that. any special freezing instructions? (keep in mind i didn't know about the water deal so....)

SP thanks so much for the offer. it's really hard for me to say what i like and don't like...i define what i want to eat by whether you eat it with a fork, or if it's crunchy or smooth.

i would like recipes where the tofu is not smooth....crunchy or hard but not deep fried or anything like that. hehehe does that narrow anything down?