Jambands.ca

Hockey Dads

Dr_Evil_Mouse

And in local news...

Hockey dad banned from arenas

I realise some parents feel the need to live vicariously through their children, but this always makes me shake my head.

Dave McCarthy, the chief referee in Carleton district, estimated that about 40 per cent of hockey officials leave the job every year mainly because of the abuse they receive from parents and coaches.

Does this stat seem normal?

The fucker in question actually physically attacked the ref and the ref wound up getting 7 stitches in his head.

I can't believe that nobody in the arena took the sonofabitch out right there. The guy is from Pakenham which is where my dad grew up. There a bunch of real tough fistacuff vigilante justice kinda folk out there. I really am surprised it stopped with him hitting the ref.

that stat is likely bang on

i started playing hockey at age 5 and after 11 years of hearing whacked out mothers (usually) screaming at their and other kids i finally had enough

true story..i quit my favourite game because i was hating everyones fUcked up parents!

some people take hockey WAY to seriously

my dad's been thrown outta more ballparks than i care to remember. one of the hardest things i had to do as a kid was ask him to stop coaching - not that that made any difference, i think he was louder in the stands. and this was baseball, not even hockey.

i'll never forget the day a female umpire tossed him out of a park in burlington - oh, dear lord....

hahah after my brother skated around the ice shooting the finger and telling the entire "stands" where to go, some irish guy started yelling obscenities at him. i don't know what did it, but all of the sudden my dad, who normally is so non-confrontational, turned to the irish guy and told him if he didn't shut up, he'd put his nose on the other side of his face.

ahh.. the good old days.

I remember seeing and hearing some pretty intense parents at hockey games when I was a kid. To be honest, we hesitated putting my son into minor hockey partly because of the hockey horror stories that are out there. But he started playing last year, and is playing again this year (he's now 8), and it has been an awesome experience. Absolutely none of the parental bullsh*t that I was worried about, and the coaches are amazing. Now he's still young, and he's not playing select hockey, but it's still very encouraging that kids can play hockey for fun. Hockey is such an awesome sport!

Having said that, I had a conversation at my school with a colleague about her experience with her son's hockey coach and other parents. An absolute nightmare. Think assaults, threats, etc. If I ever found myself in a situation like that, I'd be calling in some favours from a few of my friends. I'm all about peace, but don't mess with my kids ...

Peace, Mark