Jambands.ca

Favourite Cult TV Shows?

Jaimoe

What are your favourite cult TV shows?

I'm sure this will generate as much debate as my last " cult movie " posting did. Please, no perennial top shows, past and present, like: Seinfeld, Friends, Survivor, Mash, Cheers, Frasier, NYPD Blue, Law & Order etc...

Certainly old shows like the Jackie Gleason Show/Honeymooners, I Love Lucy, Jack Benny, Dragenet, Flintstones etc... have gained/earned cult status to new generations.

Here's mine, in no particular order, other than my first pick:

WKRP In Cincinnati ( favourite show of all time )

Father Ted

Fawlty Towers

Not The Nine O'Clock News

Xena/Hercules

Jack Of All Trades

Babylon 5

Star Trek Deep Space 9

Star Trek

Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Firefly

Farscape

King Of The Hill

Southpark

X-Files

The Twilight Zone

Blackadder I, II, III, IV

Ren & Stimpy

SCTV

Mr. Show

Monty Python

The Young Ones

Bottom

Family Guy

Larry Sanders Show

The League Of Gentlemen

Space 1999

TV Nation

Saturday Night Live: 1975 to 1985

The Daily Show with Jon Stewart

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely Fabulous

Keeping up Appearances

Welcome Back Kotter-one of my all time favs

Star Trek

Star Trek TNG

WKRP

Four on the Floor

SCTV

SNL - all seasons except the one with that geek from the breakfast club

Hercules-The one with KS and the cartoon with toot...thats me, thats me...

Black Adder- Queenie is my fav

X-files

Kindred the Embraced

The Charmings..hehe just kidding, anyone rememer that one??? BBBBBBAD

Scooby Doo and the Mystery Machine-pre Scrappy

Wonder Woman

Three's Company

I'll probably think of more, so expect an edit.

Hey Super Freak, I like your choices. Nice call on Ab Fab and Wonder Woman. However, I do question Three's Company and Welcome Back Kotter - both of these shows were HUGE hits.

Three's Company was a run-away main-stream Top 5 hit for 5 years. Kotter is a questionable cult show because when Travolta was on it, the show was in the Top 5.

Come on peeps I'm watching a dank ass Curb Your Enthusiasm right now no one's mentioned our man Larry David. Dude goes out to a shitty dinner party with his wife gets stuck paying the bulk of the check after getting hit up for a letter of reference for circle geometry art boy and a 'special page' homework assignment for one of their lameo buddies birthdays- classic.

And the fucking Mr. Show rocks. Bob Odenkirk and Dave Cross are the men. Naomi Odenkirk has a new book out about the phenomena and some of the differences between say SCTV, Monty Python and Saturday Night Live. How ideas are boring to older people and that's why SNL plays the same joke three times till it's dead in the ground. Mr. Show is just floating out their in the realm of 'intellectual silliness' with continuous threads running through and no repeat 'hit' characters. Marc Friedman and I found some of our few comfortable common grounds in a love of Mr. Show and fortunately Roald Dahl.

Room 222

Good Times

King of Kensington

Mod Squad

Wait 'til your father gets home

The Rifleman

The Millionaire

Bonanza

Davey & Goliath

H.R Pufnstuf

Barney Miller

Six Million Dollar man

Bionic Woman

I don't watch much TV nowadays,but as a child I guess I did.

quote:

Hercules-The one with KS and the cartoon with toot...thats me, thats me...

Super Freak~

"Toot" was actually "Newtons" little buddy who didnt talk."Newton" was the one who said "thats me,thats me",dont forget his evil twin "Notwen"

Dude you are so right...it was Newton.

And I totally forgot about Good Times...which also made me think of What's Happinin'...with rerun...And wait 'til your father gets home was CLASSIC...havn't thought of that in years, but I watched it every Sun!!!

Jaimoe-I put Three's Company on there because I watched it religously when it was on in the 70's...WBK too...kinda fit into the idea of "cult" for me anyway...was too young to know about ratings then. I watched Fantasy Island too but that was probably a top show at the time.

Yeah Wait til your father gets home was kinda strange,I watched it all the time,good old Chet.H.R Pufnstuf was really weird also.

I remembered a couple more actually.

The Avengers

The Prisoner

One Step Beyond (sci-fi)

Time Tunnel

Kojak

Smurfs

Theres a few others but I cant recall the name,just the image.Way way too much TV in the 70' & early 80's I think. [Wink]

Good call on Action Bouche!

Hey, where's Gilligan's Island?

I watched it as a kid and it is the emitome of a cult series: it was never popular when it originally aired and it became HUGE only in re-runs.

A show that I forgot and I really like is:

Get Smart

Bouche, I agree with Rock School. I watched that show every week.

Does anyone remember NBC's " Sunday Night ", with Squeeze's Jools Holland and jazz sax great David Sanborn? Sunday Night was one of the best music jam programs of all time.

Hey Esau13:

Maude was a #1 show and Mary Tyler Moore is one of the most successful and influential comedies of all time.

Archived