Jambands.ca

Good quote for the Sanctuary

AD

I'm guilty of this too, but thought I'd share a good Billy Bragg quote for y'all.

"I think cynicism is the enemy of anyone who wants to make the world a better place. In the end I think the most corrosive thing for the human spirit is cynicism. And you can't argue with a cynic. They have all the fucking answers."

AD

I'm guilty of this too, but thought I'd share a good Billy Bragg quote for y'all.

"I think cynicism is the enemy of anyone who wants to make the world a better place. In the end I think the most corrosive thing for the human spirit is cynicism. And you can't argue with a cynic. They have all the fucking answers."

AD

or as ghandi said, "complain about the change you wish to see."

no wait. that's not it....

i'm not bitter or complaining or anything, just thought it was a good quote

ad

agreed, and not at all meant as a poke, AD.

that quote is spot on. cycnicism is my milieu since shrub took office...world events get me bitter any cynical in a big hurry. my current cure involves a "new turn-off day" combined with folks i love and good music.

knowing that there are people out there who see the world the same way you do is eminently comforting. at its' best, that's sort of what this place is about :)

AD

Good Quote... I agree with the Fundamental that cynicism is bad for the human spirit... but I disagree about the last two lines. You CAN argue with a cynic, just maybe never change their mind, or die trying. And they DO NOT have any answers. Cynics are inhearently problem people. Problems aren't answers, they're just more questions.

It was a very artistic thing to say, and you're right AD... a very good quote for this community.

Beleiver of what? If your talking about Gravity I agree.... I've never trusted gravity. Scares the shit out of me.

But seriously, I don't think with music your really dealing with any fundamentals or "true believers"... it does come down to taste... and sure as piss, there's some stuff I won't touch. I just don't jump on the metal boards and say "your band sucks... you'll never and should never suceed... those who also read this have been WARNED of the suckiness"...

I think that more where Mr. Bragg was going with his quote. Not-so-much the Pat Robertson view of Cynics. Just the REAL humancentric psycological barriers we put on artists (especially developing local artists), and how they negatively affect us all. When a group of people are getting together to make art, that in itself should be given the upmost respect. There's no doubt that the cynicism... especially the shortwinded potshots with no constructive element... is a poison to this dynamic, and should be handled with the greatest care.

The Bhudda is self-control. Smile and then talk :)

agreed, and not at all meant as a poke, AD.

oh i know, i didn't take it as such.

knowing that there are people out there who see the world the same way you do

i hope you didn't mean 'you' as in 'me, AD' i see the world in some pretty cynical ways most of the time.

but it's a good quote nonetheless.

:)

AD

Edited by Guest

I think the quote is a good one, especially if it is framed as SS suggests above. The word "cynic" though is, as they say, hopelessly overdetermined. There are cynics and then there are cynics. I've always been a big fan of the original Cynic, Diogenes , who had a pretty coherent understanding of his own values. As the (apocryphal) story goes,

During his residence at Corinth, an interview between him and Alexander is said to have taken place. Plutarch relates that Alexander [the Great], when at Corinth, receiving the congratulations of all ranks on being appointed to command the army of the Greeks against the Persians, missed Diogenes among the number, with whose character he was acquainted. Curious to see the one who exhibited such haughty independence of spirit, Alexander went in search of him and found him sitting in his tub in the sun. "I am Alexander the Great," said the monarch. "And I am Diogenes the Cynic,"replied the philosopher. Alexander then requested that he would inform him what service he could render him. "Stand from between me and the sun," said the Cynic. Alexander, struck with the reply, said to his friends, who were ridiculing the whimsical singularity of the philosopher, "If I were not Alexander, I should wish to be Diogenes."

I like Mencken on cynics, though -

One of the most curious of human delusions lies in the theory that cynics are unhappy men - that cynicism makes for a general biliousness and malaise. It is a false deduction, I believe, from the obvious fact that cynics make other men unhappy. But they are themselves among the most comfortable and serene of mammals; perhaps only bishops, pet dogs, and actors are happier. For what a cynic believes, though it may be too dreadful to be put into formal words, at least usually has the merit of being true - and truth is ever a rock, hard and harsh, but solid under the feet.

(Mencken was decidedly and bitterly cynical himself, in what I find a really enjoyable and satisfying way.)