Jambands.ca

Hillside 2006

NewRider

i love how the volunteer / artist camping area is lumped together. has anyone heard about/seen any late night jams at hillside in the camping area before? i've heard from people that in general a lot of the musicians hang out and play all night, but i've never heard any real tales.

i love how the volunteer / artist camping area is lumped together.

what is even funnier is that "quiet camping" and "loud, raucus, rip-it-all-night camping" is the exact same space, separated by a SIGN delineating the two

has anyone heard about/seen any late night jams at hillside in the camping area before? i've heard from people that in general a lot of the musicians hang out and play all night, but i've never heard any real tales.

oh yeah!!! Dave's not kidding when he says all-night camp-fire drum circles! Then there are the numerous smaller fires with guitars and singers....you can wander all night and be musically entertained. The catch is ONLY volunteers/performers are allowed into this area and due to problems in the past, they are VERY tight with this restriction.

If you can volunteer, or even better...host some kind of workshop (that's TWO HOURS of you time folks, for access to the whole festival, island camping, and access to the hospitality tent where they feed you awesome veggie food all weekend), it's definitely the way to do Hillside!!!

the Hillside website posts all info on how to submit a workshop idea, apply to be a vollie, etc.

http://www.hillside.on.ca/

this will be our 10 th year running....and I never intend to miss one. I've always done a workshop at the Women's Issues Tent...it feels great to be part of a festival in this way!

and a final tip on camping.....camping spots are SOLD OUT on the Sunday of the previous Hillside. I don't know if there is a cancellation list to get on or not, BUT there is always over-flow camping (a big empty field a couple of km from the island) to be had. Bring a bike!!!!

any distinct memories of those campfire jams, jane? (i want names!!!)

this past summer my crew camped in the overflow for the first night and we had a reserved spot the 2nd night.. to tell you the truth i thought the overflow was just as good (unless you're hoping to go to sleep early), and just as close to the venue. a bike is a good idea.

i think hillside was the best festival i've ever been too, all around! they really got it together.

any distinct memories of those campfire jams, jane? (i want names!!!)

sorry...only photos actually prove I was even there. :) I gave a "no-guarantee" rider on my memory on another thread recently...sorry...it really aint very good for details!

to tell you the truth i thought the overflow was just as good (unless you're hoping to go to sleep early), and just as close to the venue. a bike is a good idea.

from what I've heard,the overflow does indeed rival the island/vollie camping area....I've heard great things about each....but as you said...neither work well if you're looking for a solid few hours of sleep. It's why we eventually opted in the last few years to move off the island to reserved GCRA spots

let's meet up this year if you're going!!!

YATS....get yerself a fucking tutor, already!!!

I'm new around here. I'm sure I could name a 101 tid-bit, no-name, local festivals that ya'll have never heard of, so drop the holier than thou attitude about your heady little ongoings and send me a memo next time.

Should that have been in purple?

See, I never got the memo. And there's no cover sheet on my TPS Reports, and they took my stapler......It was a swingline.

i just got that stapler at work! i love it cause it's red. and not only cause it's red, but because i can see it wherever it is in the room, it just jumps out at me saying "squeeze me! i want to staple and colour co-ordinate with you at the same time!"

editted to fix a typo

Edited by Guest

I have it on good authority that Meligrove Band and one of Evan Gordon's groups is booked. Meligrove (Melligrove?) just got signed to V2 making them the only independent from Canada to ever attain that status. They will be very big, very soon, classic strokes-ish modish sound but a bit ballsier.

Also just talked to the guys in Next Best Thing and they are playing, great band if you haven't checked them out, sublime-ish vibe but they've got their own thing and they do it well.

Just saw THe Next Best Thing at a Bob Marley Birthday Tribute in Guelph...did a great job singin some Bob classics and rarities.

Good to see them added to this festival...gonna be a good weekend.

Question: if Bell Orchestra and Final Fantasy are playing, can they/we/organizers please, please, please get The Arcade Fire back again? I mean, we got like 3 of the 9 members there already. Last years Arcade Fire set was off-the-freakin-hook!!! Sarah Slean into The Stars into The Arcade Fire - it doesn't get much better than that!

Bring Arcade Fire back to Hillside!!!

Perhaps, last years Hillside was the only performance for Arcade Fire during an August/Sept break for the band. As I understand it (IMO), Arcade Fire had agreed to play the fest because of its reputation (enviro friendly, etc.) but were actually in the midst of a well deserved break after having been touring for the previous few months. Though maybe a long shot this year, with Bell Orchestra (Richard and Sarah) and Final Fantasy (Owen) there, how can they not play?