Jambands.ca

care to recommend a good book?

I've recommended it the other "What are you reading?" topic, but On A Cold Road by (Rheostaics member) Dave Bidini is a great read, especially for music lovers, as it deals with the life of a touring musician in Canada.

I read that this past summer while we were on the road in the maritimes and just after our little feat run...lets just say it was very appropriate.

"A Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy O'Toole was such a great read, and absolutely hillarious. Dima, I can lend it to you if you'd like.

black vinyl white powder by simon napier bell

The lowly third position of musical pursuits in the familiar cry of "sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll" suggests what Simon Napier-Bell's book Black Vinyl White Powder makes all too clear: from it's mid-1950s beginnings: pop music has always been intrinsically linked not only with sex, but with all manner of illegal substances. Indeed, it is an often-repeated fact that success in the music business will frequently be accompanied by more than mere musical activity. "Drugs are sometimes as important as talent," explains Napier-Bell in this entertaining and often compelling read, and it is from this angle that he presents his gripping 50-year history of pop.

Edited by Guest

black vinyl white powder by simon napier bell

The lowly third position of musical pursuits in the familiar cry of "sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll" suggests what Simon Napier-Bell's book Black Vinyl White Powder makes all too clear: from it's mid-1950s beginnings: pop music has always been intrinsically linked not only with sex, but with all manner of illegal substances. Indeed, it is an often-repeated fact that success in the music business will frequently be accompanied by more than mere musical activity. "Drugs are sometimes as important as talent," explains Napier-Bell in this entertaining and often compelling read, and it is from this angle that he presents his gripping 50-year history of pop.

So I'll ask you once again Friendly...............

Where's The Deal?

I've been reading a few books lately...

Jim Giraffe ---- This book is about a perverted ghost giraffe trying to save a guy's life by rejuvenating his sex life. I heard about it from another book thread on here and picked it up. I enjoyed it, until the ending. I hated the ending! What'd you guys think of it, those of you who have read it?

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night --- This one is pretty good, an easy read kinda like Jim Giraffe. Its written from the standpoint of an autistic (???) English kid. Its pretty funny.

The Farewell Waltz by Milan Kundera --- this is the guy who wrote The Unbearable Lightness of Being (which I haven't read yet and I'd be curious to hear what some of you thought!). Anyhoo this book was really good. Sorry, lame review.

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson --- I'm reading this right now, and its really cool! Bryson is usually a travel literature writer. This book (about 550 pages) is a dumbed-down history of science, creation, how things work, etc. Its full of short interesting biographies of these scientists and astronomers throughout the ages who made discoveries and had crazy lives. Its a good overview of Science and space and what science has been able to figure out so far, written in simple words.

And next up is The Da Vinci Code. :)

yes! i read that when i had a reeeeeally boring job a few years back selling yak sweaters.

I picture you huddled next to a fire in a yurt somewhere sheltered from the swirling winds thinking, Gosh, I'm glad I have this book. :)

I miss my security guard job days back in high school sometimes for the amount of reading I used to get done.

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson --- I'm reading this right now, and its really cool! Bryson is usually a travel literature writer. This book (about 550 pages) is a dumbed-down history of science, creation, how things work, etc. Its full of short interesting biographies of these scientists and astronomers throughout the ages who made discoveries and had crazy lives. Its a good overview of Science and space and what science has been able to figure out so far, written in simple words.

good one, kev...bill bryson is a great writer. he's able to take reasonably complicated scientific concepts and make them understandable. and he's got a wicked sense of humour to boot.

he's written a couple of travel books that i really liked. one about travelling europe, one about hiking through the appalachians. highly reccommended reading!

And next up is The Da Vinci Code. :)

I'm reading that right now and I can't put it down! I was putting it off for so long because of all the crazy hype, but I'm glad I finally gave in because I'm really lovin' it. It's a quick read with LOTS of interesting information that reconfirms a lot of my own beliefs in the Catholic church.