Jambands.ca

Avril turns into a fashion whore! Yipee, get out the coke!

PimpDaddySweetPants

Avril - The New Kate Moss?

As far as Avril Lavigne's concerned trashing malls in her school tie is sooo five minutes ago.

The self-styled rock rebel is after Kate Moss' job.

We're used to seeing the Canadian singer donning sweatbands, snarling and jumping around in her big ol' boots.

But be prepared for a transformation worthy of that smoke machine moment on Stars In Their Eyes.

Avril has signed to Ford Models agency and says she's ditching the grunge.

And her motivation? Apart from the fat cheques that no-doubt come with a bit of lucrative modelling.

A Prada handbag, apparently.

After being bought one of the pricey pieces of arm candy as a gift, she claims she's suddenly discovered fashion.

Avril back in 2003

Avril back in 2003

"I'm starting to feel more feminine. I'm getting into hair and make-up and image. That's the best part of being a girl," she reckons.

And that means she wants a piece of the modelling action too.

"I want to do those really beautiful ads with the high-end products," she told the Daily Dish.

"I look through magazines and stare at ads and think, 'I'm not six feet tall, but I know I can do that.'"

And after checking out her neat and chic look at the Chanel show this week, we're starting to believe her.

Check out our gallery to see Avril's fashion transformation.

http://www.sky.com/showbiz/article/0,,50001-1210334,00.html

----------------------------------------------------------

[color:blue]Too much! Ahhhhh! She goes from punk rock chick who was once quoted as saying something to the effect of, "I'm not like Britney and Christina who are all dolled up on a pedestal. I'm different, I'm Avril."

Wrong you're a fashion whore like the rest and the gig is up. Too bad for all those punk rocker girls who looked up to you as an alternative from the pop-teen slut paradigm, you just sold them out. I guess they'll have to save up to buy the Prada handbags and gucci shoes you'll soon be hawking.

[color:black]Headline: You can look distinguished and feminine without modelling and selling over priced couture. Jesus how much more acceptance does this chick need!

Edited by Guest

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as Avril Lavigne's concerned trashing malls in her school tie is sooo five minutes ago.

She wants to be a junkie rock-star's girlfriend and get hooked on cocaine?

Aloha,

Brad

To play devil's advocate....when you're tossed in to the spotlight at age 14, from a small town, and you accomplish that much success, things are gonna change. Remember, this girl grew up in the media spotlight....not saying that it was not her choice, but. Its impossible for a young teenager to not have interviews that conflict with what she says today...she was a kid, and is now an adult with life experience. That said, I'm not a fan, nor do I support the FMA thing, but she's just a kid. I don't think that there's anything too wrong with seizing an oppertunity....my $0.02...remember....devil's advocate

She wants to be a junkie rock-star's girlfriend and get hooked on cocaine?

Aloha' date='

Brad[/quote']

Cool, me and Avril have like soooo much in common.

Here's an even better article on the Avril thing:

So long, angry Avril

And let's say hello to your Stepford replacement

Feb. 7, 2006. 01:00 AM

SABRINA JALEES

I'm rolling up my cuffs and winding up to take my first jab at Avril Lavigne. "Whoa, Sabrina, are you sure you wanna do that? She's rough and tough in that slightly androgynous, I'll-kick-your-ass-with-such-wrecklessness-I-won't-even-care-if-my-tooth-falls-out-after-all-I'm-from-Napanee kind of way! How would you dare open up that can of eastern Ontario whoop-ass?" Because friend, unfortunately I'm here to break the disappointing news to you: Avril sold out.

In a recent interview, the former tie pimpin', skateboard cruisin' punk chick declared that she had joined the Ford modelling agency in hopes "to do those really beautiful ads with the high-end products."

High-end products!? What happened to the girl whose old little-league tees had the lifespan of a Buddhist monk?

Well, Avril says, "I'm getting into hair and make-up and image. That's the best part of being a girl."

The best part, eh. Hey all you pre-teens, the ones who filled stadiums around the world screaming the lyrics to "Sk8er Boi" in your cargo-cut-offs and black nail polish, you'd better start saving your allowance. The new "best part" about being a girl is gonna be a little more expensive than the Napanee Home Hardware shirt you bought on eBay or one of your dad's leftover ties. Why'd Av-Av have to go make things so compli-cated?

"I look through magazines and stare at ads and think: `I'm not 6-feet tall, but I know I can do that.'" Wow, Avril — that's deep. Seriously? You actually look at those ads of women standing under waterfalls with semi-erect nipples teamed with a look of boredom on their faces and actually think you could achieve all that? Do you know how difficult it is to stay in semi-errect-nippleville? It's hard (the task, not the nipple).

"Nobody tells me what to wear. That would be bad and shallow," she told the Star's Daphne Gordon just a few years ago. Or one of my personal favourites: "I'm, like, a lot different than other famous chicks like Britney and whoever else. They're totally dolled up and have a brand new outfit on all the time. I'm totally not into that ..."

... unless, of course, someone paid you to be into that. Hopefully with some of that modelling money you'll be able to buy some Credibility Cream. Rub it in real good 'cause you'll need it when you're posing for billboards in your sequin bikini — because that's the path you're heading down and your fans can see it coming, even if you can't.

So don't be surprised if you lather up with the entire bottle and still end up with flack from the old fans. You have to understand, they've spent the past three years being made fun of for swallowing your "Punk Rocker" charade. So your new "Prada Princess" schtick is gonna take some getting used to.

But you're still right Vrilly, that you are different from Britney. She took the Intercourse-Free-way to Slutville, you took Alternative-Girl Express.

Admit it, that's where you're headed. You say "make-up and image" I hear "titties and ass." Because if there's one thing for certain when it comes to pop-starlets that start out with an original brand of integrity, it's that eventually they'll be posing half-naked with some sort of logo branded to their ass.

I wonder if there's some sort of club an artist joins once they've morphed into a hardcore product-pusher. They'd call it something catchy like, The-Sell-Out-Manufactured-By-A-Team-Of-Businessmen Ladies! They would send out official posters to new members splashed with a colourful group picture of X-tina Aguilera, Lindsay Lohan, Hilary Duff (not next to each other, of course), the Pussycat Dolls and Britney all giving the peace sign in g-strings ... (Boys and lesbians: Enjoy the free visual.)

Now, I understand that from a market standpoint, reinvention is something that artists now have to partake in to maintain public interest. It's become so common, it's cliché.

Madonna is the queen of rebirthing herself and I'd never dream of pouncing on her the way I did Avril. Maybe it's because she invented the media reinvention, but when Madonna pulls it off, it's always somewhat believable.

But, c'mon: Avril Lavigne, originally promoted as this down-to-earth, sloppy tomboy is, seemingly overnight, re-introduced to the public as this fashion-conscious lip-gloss ditz? Why do we even attempt to swallow these ridiculous fronts? Why do pop stars get such promotion without being challenged?

We certainly don't extend this easy-going attitude to our real-life acquaintances. If my mother woke me up one day dressed in leather pants, heavy black lipstick and a trenchcoat she would need to do some 'splaining. And it'd have to be something deeper than, "Well, you see dear, I looked at some Goths on Queen St. and thought: `I'm not rejected or angry, but I know I can do that!'"

Mostly, I sympathize with all the Avril fans who are attempting to coast through this sudden transition. Stepford Avril may prove to inflate the star's chequing account, but it's the stadium filling mini-punks who are at a loss. Those are the little girls you see on the subway giving the middle finger to creepy men who gawk at their greasy hair and torn-up jeans.

The retro-real punk version of Avril may have been a poser and a brat, but she was one of the few role models for young girls whose videos didn't leave them feeling like flat-chested cows.

Sure, Lavigne's raised-middle finger influence wasn't the greatest message. But it sure as hell beat the other mainstream options our chicks have — whose unifying lesson remains to be "index finger down throat."

Some Avril Obsessors may even be mad that I'd dare condemn her coming of commercial age. I do not fear you, though. Not you, nor even New-vril, herself.

She won't be able to fight back, for fear of breaking a nail. Or even worse, her character.

------------------------------------------

well no, don't much care for her...but i've said before if Jennifer Garner asked i'd consider switching teams for one night. But i don't think she's into rails so I'll keep those for avril and Kate only.

...and I think we've already headed down bizzaro lane...I'm turing around now though and heading back because its getting a bit strange and uncomforable here. I'd hate to hit the point of no return.