Jambands.ca

Recommend an album?

Del

I don't know how much you're into jazz, but the recently released

B000AAVDZG.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

is stellar. If I had a time machine and a choice of one band to go back and tape, it'd be the Monk quartet with Coltrane at the Five Spot in Greenwich Village in 1957. It was a huge step forward for both performers (not to mention the rest of the band), but, sadly, was a line-up that was thought to never have been recorded. In 2005, an umarked box was found in the Library of Congress, and it contained a recording of that band at Carnegie Hall. I listened to it on the weekend, and was blown away. I've got a lot of Monk with Charlie Rouse on tenor, and while he's a great interpreter or Monk's music, to hear Coltrane going flat-out nuts playing (and playing with) "Evidence" is amazing.

Edit to add: read this for some background and track-by-track reviews.

Aloha,

Brad

Edited by Guest

the new Sarah Harmer cd "I'm a Mountain" is excellent, imo.

Agreed. I think hers is my favourite female singing voice. Whenever I hear the shrieking histrionics of a singer like Mariah Carey or any of her ilk, I remember how fresh, simple, expressive, and honest Sarah Harmer's voice is. The little waver in her voice in the tailing syllable of "I Am Aglow" is perfect, IMO.

Aloha,

Brad

Deadly Snakes - Porcella !!!

really?

i don't really dig them too much

yeah man.

i dont know what you've heard from them before, but if you havent listened to Porcella, give it a good front to back - if you're familiar with some of their earlier stuff, you might be pleasantly surprised. i dont have Ode To Joy, so i cant comment on that, but if you've heard Love Undone, although i love it for what it is, i can understand why it wouldnt turn people on. Porcella is way more mature, and it doesnt sound nearly as abrasive or ugly - there are some very sweet tunes on this album. it's also yielded 3 of my favourite new songs, which doesnt happen often:

Gore Veil

I Heard Your Voice

A Bird In The Hand Is Worthless

The Codetalkers disc from 2003 has been getting lots of play at my place lately. (I think you probably already have that one, though, "One".)

Also, I love Slammin' Jack's new release "The Merville Sessions"; and quite honestly I really wasn't such a fan of their music before I heard this release. This disc is exceptional, though, and very professionally done.

yeah man.

i dont know what you've heard from them before, but if you havent listened to Porcella, give it a good front to back - if you're familiar with some of their earlier stuff, you might be pleasantly surprised. i dont have Ode To Joy, so i cant comment on that, but if you've heard Love Undone, although i love it for what it is, i can understand why it wouldnt turn people on. Porcella is way more mature, and it doesnt sound nearly as abrasive or ugly - there are some very sweet tunes on this album. it's also yielded 3 of my favourite new songs, which doesnt happen often:

i have not heard Porcella, or anything off it, so i shouldn't have commented. My exposure has been from Ode To Joy (Burn Down the Valley, I Want to Die, etc). I would likely dig them if i get really drunk on rye and saw them live

Here are a few albums that I have been blown away by recently, you can't go wrong with either one of them:

B000001F2M.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

J.J. Cale - Troubadour

B000002TYO.01._PE8_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Leon Russell and The Shelter People

B000002GNK.01._PE20_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Van Morrison - Tupelo Honey

B0000TOFTI.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Link Wray - Be What You Want To

B000002U5F.01._PE12_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Leon Russell - Leon Live

Edited by Guest

I would likely dig them if i get really drunk on rye and saw them live

:D

that's what i love so much about Love Undone.

i dont think porcella is like that. considering gore veil makes me think back to being 9 looking out the car window in the country side with the oldies station playing, i heard your voice makes me wanna get deep down and dirty in the jam, and a bird in the hand makes me wanna dance with del in a field of daisies, i'd say at least parts of this album are the exact opposite.

i really like how they use their horns and organ, too.

:)