Jambands.ca

CanJammies?

CyberHippie

I was just looking through the December copy of Relix and was noticing the complete lack of all things Canadian...

We should have our own awards, best festival of year, album, web site, etc. etc...

What do you guys think?

I think our scene could support something like this, we have enough bands, tours, albums, fan sites and festivals...

OH yeah, that's been brought up before.

I thought they should be named after the popular jammies in the 80's, the Underoos...

Show-whore had mentioned about getting something going like that.

I think it would be great, but it would take alot of time and it would also need plenty of help.

I'm not sure thats a great plan.. maybe put the effort into getting Canadian artists/festivals recognized at the Jammies and Relix....

The last thing we need is the kind of battling that supposedly goes on between fans of phish/wsp/sci etc., that is referred to in Greg's movie. The scene is way to small up here to start drawing lines in the sand. They're all my favourite. They all win. And so do we!

i agree with those sentiments as well. That being said, is it worth having a weekend festival that highlights the achievments of those in the community? I know that its all about but the music...but I think some people really deserve credit for the hard work they have done over the years. it doesn't even have to be about who is better or whatever (we've seen that ugly thing before in various forms...) Just a CELEBRATION if you will. I don't know....actually, screw it! Once again, i think you are totally right MoMack!! it just seems like a bit of a run-around!! Why the heck does anyone need a candy??? I think that everyone who puts in takes out at least the same amount. The whole idea certainly separates the community....I like being able to mingle freely without that "cool" group feeling....just some fragmented ramblings here as i contemplate the topic at hand. my perception is has been swayed..

I think a Canjammies is a good idea, perhaps under a less auspicious title. Something ambiguous that doesn't look like we're just trying to emulate the American awards. The Annual CanJam Awards or somethin. Be a great way for Canadian bands to get some more exposure as well as to introduce the scene to more Canadians(no large corporate funds though, maybe a smaller beer company like Steamwhistle or such that is interested in doing promotion through musical circles)

Where would we hold them? Toronto? Halifax? Van? (hamilton? [smile] )

Wasn't there a celebration in Kitchener a couple years ago that had most of the staples of the scene playing over the course of two days?

Putting on an awards show may be a good way to get some publicity/exposure. But why not take everyone that will be involved and pick something for them to win at. ie. don't have it be "best rock song", but make it "best new song in the key of D written by four guys from timbuctoo" etc. etc. That way everyone could win something, hell they could even come up with their own category to win at, and we could try and get them all published in a few daily newspapers etc.

just a thought, free publicity is something that almost all Canadian bands could use I'm sure...

as mentioned, a lot of the smaller beer and cooler companies are always itching to be involved in events so they can hang up a few banners... Richard's, Steamwhistle, etc... get CBC radio involved perhaps as well...

first step, plan the venue, costs(thats the big one), size of the crowd attending, media coverage and put it all professionally on paper... worth taking your time on this step...

second, take the piece of paper to a number of businesses who would enjoy having their name associated with such an event and will trade overhead costs for the sake of having their name associated with the growing jamscene...

oh yeah, before step one you need someone who's willing to do all this... probably a 5 or 6 person committee(avoiding too many cooks in the kitchen)... I vote for Yo for starters, Tonin (who can say no to tonin), and some other vastly involved in the scenesters...

just bouncin thoughts

You guys are on to something.Publicity and advertising are the driving force behind such events.There's not a lot of overhead needed to start the ball rolling. As long as the proper steps are taken like Paisley mentioned. Free advertising is tempting for any business, but we really need some people(i.e. Tonin,Yo etc. ) to sell this idea to the right people in order to get this ball rolling! All we need is a serious alliance of brain power!What do ya say?It seems the Canadian music scene is really finally starting to thrive on its own on many levels.I think it's very crucial that we nurish it NOW with ideas like these.

Yes, yes, yes.

The key is leg-work, as far as I see it. I have learned some valueable lessons via Bouche (via Tonin) about business/corporations and how they run. It is simple to get them on board, but someone has to do it.

All you need is a pitch. They showed me how simple a pitch can be.

"Hello, Bryar's. Yes, I think there is something right/wrong with your product."

They always respond, and step outside of whatever box you think they have, in hopes of maintaining "The customer is always right" policy. If you can get that understanding, anything is marketable.

I am not convinced on a CanJam Bands Award Ceremony, as cool as it sounds, but I am convinced that exposure should happen. I have been into all of this for seemingly forever, and I would love to see more people 'get it'. These boys/girls in these bands deserve exposure.

I actually believe that our world would be a better place with this exposure.

We can sell anything, and these bands deserve it..................

Man, I cant get over The Scherzo. They seem to know whom should help lead the cause, or are a part of this train.

There are cool bars in every one of our cities. Live music is "Gold Jerry. Pure gold."

(Man, I am wasted. It must have been those eight.......teen beers I had. Go Nero! I hope everyone is having the time of their life tonight.)

quote:

I actually believe that our world would be a better place with this exposure.

second that emotion

we gonna party un day booche... anyone who posts as gone as I do

and yay! lets hype up the scene somehow(though actually I'm lovin the underground we have goin)... some sorta event where there are wierd halfway big sponsors and everyone gets to dress up an sip grape martini's... live to air on CBC of course

what th hell? all gonna be dirt in the ground

in sponsorship,

don't forget our heritage minister, Shiela Copps(Copps Coliseum)... what expresses the freedom and fullness of Canada better than th j-band scene... suddenly europe, australia, africa, s. america and the baltic states will love us deeply

alright... off to bed... night and morning all [smile]

yes it can be done, organizing the committee would seem to be the first step... its probably *~*somehow*~* already in the works

next thread, plan your super huge, no holds barred fantasy event in Canada of a lifetime [Eek!]

I don't really see it as a competition with the US at all. At some point we may be able to get a little representation down there. But we are our own country, and I think should be crediting our own talent.

I believe cost of this event would be the biggest factor. Hopefully you could get it back by holding an event, and making money off ticket sales. But you'd still need upfront money, and you'd have to hope your ticket sales will cover your costs.

Corporate sponsorship is not a bad idea, if it's the right kind of company.

Anyhow looks like some folks have already been working on this... So I guess I'm just beating a dead horse.. hehe

can you think of any other good excuses to get dressed up and drink grape martini's? [Wink]

yeah, not sure about awards up here, sounds great when I'm drunk though... some sort of annual event for all the canadian heads to get together would be fun though... somethin in the winter months...

how abouts a jam convention weekend where we all converge on some city and celebrate the good times in can jam land and plan and share notes for the coming year? of course with music by some favs of the scene....

just bouncin thoughts

I've got a better plan. We could get together on long weekends in the summer. Somewhere central, I guess in Ontario. Give it a sort of kids camp feel, with cabins and what not. And maybe a wild west saloon. We can have bands play outside all day, and then at night we can move into the saloon.

Have a gigantic bonfire, and make it a gathering of the tribes, a ghost town would be perfect, let the spirit world in.

Anybody know where we might be able to get this together?

moMack, your so clever! you should become a lawyer or something! but seriously...

reading over the posts here i think the best way to do this is at a venue like Lee'sPalace on a friday night - that way you could sell it like a gig with 3 or 4 choice jambands playing sets and awards that are geared toward specific acts for the rest of the night. This way the upfront costs would only be for advertizing (and golden statues)...Lees Palace would be into this and i bet MuchMusic would send a camera down, so would CityTV...and a CBC interview is probably realistic....

maybe we could get Bruce Cockburn to MC! (gotta get that fucker involved somehow!)

quote:

Originally posted by secondtube:

always playing devils advocate eh marc.
[Wink]

[Razz]

No, not really trying to. The idea of a convention of some sort sounds better but an awards show? Come on.

-

I'm really not trying to rain on the parade. But I would like to see this scene develop new paths to getting these bands recognized rather than just grafting the US model onto our scene (I think the jamband scene in the US is more than a little self-absorbed). Of course, I'm not exactly bursting at the seams with ideas on that one so....

Archived