Jambands.ca

Beatle Backs Seals

StoneMtn

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

howler,

as far as your 'international crew of vets'; both sides of this debate have their own 'statistics'. 'crews of vets' from the united nations and WWF (as you might of heard danny say) have said the hunt is humane. the truth as always probably lies somewhere in the middle.

please leave out the "redneck" quotes and references, they belittle your arguements and come across as ignorant.

wow...scuse me but guess once I climb into the tank I really do decide to swim about for awhile...guess I also don't like to be called 'clueless'...but anyways...some of the stuff I've read here is so ridiculous....call centers are the only option out east? WTF?and what does this have to do with the seal hunt?

Funny this coming from East coasters as this sounds like typical upper canada crap to me and besides nothing to do with the issue at hand.

Also I'm really not sure what the collapse of the cod fisheries or the seal hunt has to do with fish farms and deforestation out west - they suck too -

Canada is doing a horrendous job of managing its natural resources. So does that mean we should try to make as much of a mess as possible?

Does this mean no one is allowed to comment?

So its because mountain man is from the west coast...this makes him banned from commenting on the idiocies happening on the other side of the country?

Can I only comment about issues going on in Carp?

If someone comments about the Carp dump who doesn't live here...does this give me the right to say get the fuck outa town and mind yer own?

I can't make a living in Carp...should I move or cry and blame everyone else?

I allready mentioned the the small ammount of money that the seal hunt brings but also I want to mention that the real money from the hunt is going to corporate companies that are buying, producing and selling the finished products from the seals....but even if they did share the profits...which would never happen...it wouldn't right the situation one bit.

Also in regards to our society becoming too caring...this is not a bad thing and this is what happens when people become aware and educated...a simple cup of coffee...ohmygawd...take a good long well read look at that bean industry...thank goodness people are growing more aware of them evil beans...fair trade, organic is a good, good thing.

The seal hunters try and say that the kills are not as cruel as the footage makes it seem- yet they have laws preventing people from witnessing at close range the hunt and they have never produced footage showing a nice quik clean kill.

okay I'm pretty sure I've said my bit and then some...going to go relocate my rose coloured shades...I seem to have misplaced them...I miss them-they're pretty.

However you slice it, humanity's a pretty sorry proposition. What's the line from that Roger Waters song -

"Muslim or Christian,

Mullah or Pope,

Preacher or poet,

Who was it wrote -

Give any one species too much rope

And they'll fuck it up."

I realise that's a completely useless comment, of course, but there ya go :).

I'm a big fan of the barter system, myself. And smaller communities. Civilisation is a pyramid scheme.

howler,

firstly i was definitely not trying to invalidate your words, i was taking issue to stereotyping a group of people who i interact with on a daily basis.

secondly, i never called you clueless or any other name for that matter. I dont think you intended that for me, just want to make it clear, as one of my underlying pillars of belief lies in the fact is that everyone is intelligent, with the possible exception of george w. bush.

fish farms, and deforestation only have to do with the seal hunt in the fact that some of the adjectives used to describe them would not be of the good type.

anyone can comment, west coast or east. yet when referred to as "those people" is this not drawing the line? (especially with the latter part of the sentence basically saying east-coasters havn't even contemplated trying differnt things to sustain their communities).

i agree with you that canada is doing a bad job managing its natural resources. i agree killing animals for fashion, even if some parts of the seal are used for omega 3s, vitamins, and food (seal flipper pie is sold on the roadside here)is not palatable and needs some serious thought. with that said if you exclude the 'is killing an animal right or wrong for a second, this cull is actually well managed, mostly cause of all the attention it receives. The seal population has tripled since 1970 reaching 5.8 million today.

As for never producing footage showing a nice quick kill, i'm not sure where you are getting your information. please try to see the documentary on the hunt i mentioned and linked preveiously, called my ancestors were rogues and murderers.

The best line of the Larry King debate came from Heather when she said that her and Paul won't sit and do nothing like Mr. and Mrs. Switzerland.

However, I wish Paul and Heather also would direct some of their clout towards other more sad and desparate animal issues, like the impending extinctions of Africa's lowland gorillas and white/black rhinos. Not only are lowland gorillas butchered and eaten, their habitat is being destroyed (along with the gorillas themselves) because minerals used in cell-phone chips are mined in their territory.