Jambands.ca

Beatle Backs Seals

StoneMtn

i don't hate the 'it's my livlihood comments" for the simple fact that it is their livlihood. irregardless of what you do and it's corresponding moral standard, you still have to survive and provide for your family for their survival. unfortunately for a lot of seal hunters on Canada's east coast job options aren't plenty. i'd venture to say that seal hunting actually keeps people out of professions such as prostitution, gambling, drug smuggling, etc.

when i was in university i jumped on a bus one weekend and headed down to ottawa to protest the seal hunt. a few years later i gained a better understanding of the hunt as a past time and as a profession. now i wish i never got on that bus.

Edited by Guest

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that how we treat animals and how we treat this planet and how we treat people are all very indicative of one another.

A shift is coming...and yeah probably won't be untill the last moments but I have hope round two

will see very different attitudes across the board.

I bet Paul does contribute to enviremental issues...I'm guessing he has a holistic perpective...just guessing though.

I for one am ever growing very curious about The Gaia hypothesis.

oh and I care about your toe dinghy...I'm sure its very cute and cuddly.

It just occurred to me that Paul McCartney can shut the fuck up with his compassion routine. How about dialing back the tickets prices so that your not wallet raping the fans that support your lifestyle? If it's "what the market will bear" then so is the fucking seal hunt.

It just occurred to me that Paul McCartney can shut the fuck up with his compassion routine. How about dialing back the tickets prices so that your not wallet raping the fans that support your lifestyle? If it's "what the market will bear" then so is the fucking seal hunt.

With respect, Ollie, I really don't see what these two issues have to do with each other. Could you clarify?

Actually, it just occured to me that this is a stupid thing to write. Paul McCartney can say and do whatever in the fuck he likes. And anyone with a brain in their head that isn't 14 years old would know that McCartney has been a supporter of animal rights for coming on 30 years now, for no good reason other than he believes in it. This has 0% to do with ticket prices for a McCartney show and you know it so what was the point again? "Compassion routine". Oh my God you are so fucking cool.

Hey MarcO, can I similary say and do whatever the fuck I like or does this only apply to Paul McCartney? Can we be a little more civil?

The analogy I'm trying to draw is business. It's a convenient excuse when musicians get called on exorbitant ticket prices. They says things like "it's the cost of business", or "it's what the market will bear".

I think the seal hunter's are using similar arguments to defend their business: "It's my livelihood", "I need to provide for my family".

That Paul ignores those concerns for the sake of his agenda, instead appealing to emotion with phrases like "heartbreaking hunt", makes his argument weak in my eyes.

Fuckity fuck fuck fucking fuck.

I wish the people protesting the seal hunts would at the same time come up with viable ways for these folks to live now...I think the seal hunt is pretty horrible but I'm not starving for a livelyhood either so its hard for me to judge....plus I i didn't grow up in an envirement that finds it all perfectly natural....seems to be a common problem when folks protest things...not coming up with alternatives that is and lacking understanding of the situation.

oh the humanity.

It's all well and good for somebody from England to speak out against Canada's seal hunt.(I'm not just referring to Sir Paul here - there's a movement afoot in British Parliament for a boycott of Canadian products). England chopped down their forests and destroyed most of their wildlife centuries ago.

Richmond Park, in London, is home to hundreds of deer. Each year, many of these deer are slaughtered, as a form of "wildlife management".

As I said earlier, I'm against the seal hunt, but I'd like the Richmond Park deer slaughter to be given equal time in the press, and by the seal-hunt protesters.

Edited by Guest
It's acually Richmond Park, not Regent's Park

ah GM. you're so good at adding something light and airy to defuse a pissy thread. kind of like meringue!

- [although i notice it has lost much of its pissiness]

if i could weigh in... if an animal is killed humanely and all the parts are used, that's one thing. i saw a movie in high school where someone was covering the seal hunt under cover - and the way they were being killed was very 'against the rules.' i won't go into detail but suffice it to say it was horrendous. :(