Jambands.ca

Children's Books

MamaPink

I've been addicted to buying children's books these days. I just love the ideas in them and morals behind them... Just wondering what your favourite books were as a kid...

Here are a few of mine:

The Paper Bag Princess by Robert Munsch

The Jolly Postman by Janet Ahlberg

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein

and a few I just bought and completely fell in love with:

The Stinky Cheese Man by Jon Scieszka

Everything I Know About Monsters : A Collection of Made-up Facts, Educated Guesses, and Silly Pictures about Creatures of Creepiness - by Tom Lichtenheld

The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog! - by Mo Willems (Thanks FairySari for introducing me to this author... he's great!)

What Are You So Grumpy About? by Tom Lichtenheld

I was a big Gordon Korman fan as a kid. I still have a few of his books kicking around, including:

Son of Interflux

A Semester In The Life Of A Garbage Bag

Our Man Weston

Bugs Potter Live At Nickaninny

Who Is Bugs Potter?

I Want To Go Home!

I've actually considered trying to collect the rest of his books again recently.

Aesops's Fables rocked and taught me loads of life lessons...now that you bring it up I could probably use a re-read.

oh yeah and Tom Sawyer & Huckleberry Finn rocked too.

Lemony Snickets pretty amusing...read it to a kid I was baby sitting.

gees I read tonnes as a kid and I'm stumped to think of anything else off the top of my head. :crazy:

Dr. Suess, along with Richard Scarry, were some of my favourites growing up. When I moved from picture books to stuff with more writing, I really dug the Encyclopedia Brown series.

And don't forget Beatrix Potter! "These books are awfully small," her printer told her. "Yes, but they're for children, and they have awfully small hands..."

Aloha,

Brad

As a child I loved getting read aesops fables as well as fairy tales. Jack and the beanstock was my favourite. My grandmother taught me to read before school so I remember in grade 1 hiding novels in our basic readers. I loved anything by Judy Blume and Beverly Cleary. Then it was the babysitters club..

I remember going to see Robert Munsch live at the Centre in the Square when I was little and he told the story "The Fart" before it was even published... I thought I was pretty cool.

Anything by Shel Silverstein is great too. I use to love the poems in "Where the Sidewalk Ends"... I think I borrowed that book from the library more than any other.

Oooooh... The Hungry Caterpillar!! I forgot about that book!

Hands down when I was very little...

THE MONSTER AT THE END OF THIS BOOK

It was a Sesamee Street book featuring Grover and I read it over and over. Gave it to my son and all my nephews.

when I was a bit older....the Chronicles of Narnia.

No list of quality kids' books could be complete with out several works by A. A. Milne: "Winnie-the-Pooh", and "The House at Pooh Corner" are classics, IMO. (I still have my copy of "Winnie-the-Pooh" given to me by my Great Uncle Ted* for my second Christmas, in 1968.)

Aloha,

Brad

* Who not only was my Dad's uncle, but also a great uncle in his own right.

I have to add Roald Dahl to the list. He always knew just what icky and disgusting things would thrill a child. Any of his classics like "The Twits" or "James and the Giant Peech" are great but I also love "Revolting Rhymes."

Besides that, I'd have to suggest "The True Story of the Three Little Pigs" by Jon Scieszka.

I have to add Roald Dahl to the list. He always knew just what icky and disgusting things would thrill a child. Any of his classics like "The Twits" or "James and the Giant Peech" are great but I also love "Revolting Rhymes."

good call on dahl. i used to love these books and will absolutely introduce them to my future kids.. his imagery is awesome. "james and the giant peach" was my fav. aunt spiker and sponge. hehee.

i always liked the little miss _____ and mr _____ series...which was where i always thought your original name came from mir.

i also really loved this getting ready for bed book i had when i was a kid. it's got wood pages instead of paper and was a good bedtime story cause it was kinda like this checklist to make sure i'd done everything. i think it's still at my mums house! good ol mum

Sandra Boynton has a bunch of really funny board books. See if you can find "But not the hippopotamus".

We have a bunch of her books - they're great!

And you're right Alexis! I got the "little miss" part of my nick name from the books... but the pink part will remain a mystery...

ohmygoodness! so many good books! i loved that 'just for you' book MP, haven't seen that in forever. and roald dahl, did you guys read 'the fabulous mr fox"? i even had the record [oooooooh yeah!] so i could listen AND read. so awesome.

along with 'where the sidewalk ends' i remember liking shel silverstein's 'a light in the attic' and 'the talking bone', or something like that. something about a bone.

these are kind of baby-ish but also good night moon and the runaway bunny. and my nephew has one called 'walter the farting dog', and i will admit i think it's pretty funny.

also max & ruby... they're those hard cardboard-y books.

heehee. fun.