Jambands.ca

Rollerblading

Ms.Huxtable

I have caught the bug for the beautiful trails that run by our house and throughout the Gatineaus. I've been walking, running and biking and thought that I might like to try roller blading.

I bought a pair tonight however trying them out in my driveway it occurred to me that they may be harder than I thought. I don't think I'm quite ready to run the trails on my own (or with my dog pulling me and being an obsticle to avoid).

So, is there any Ottawa skank that wants to hit the trails some night this week and show me the ropes? I'd be grateful.

Don't do what I did.

About 15 years ago, I put mine on the first day I bought them without even testing how they brake or anything, and decided to blade around in front of the Parliament Buildings. I remember flying downhill along Wellington (I think it's Wellington if my memory serves?) yelling, "Get out of my way! I seriously can't stop! SERIOUSLY!!!")

I ploughed through crowds of people, and it's a miracle no one (including me) was killed that day. Good times.

I've decided to get myself a skateboard this year. It's been too long, and after 40 or 50 days of snowboarding this winter, I'm sure I can do it again. (Besides, I seem to have re-developed my old love for punk rock anyway, so it seems appropriate.)

Look out pedestrians; here comes SM!

Uh, Brad, maybe you didn't notice when we met, but ... I'm a male.

(You learn a few things about skateboarding culture in this town, including who is allowed to ride what without being laughed at.)

I'm being facetious, though. I've never tried a long board, and I've actually considered getting one, 'cause it might be more like a snowboard. We'll see.

ever since i traded my 2 extra nassau's for 2 greensboro tickets back in 2003 to a kid on a longboard i've liked em. that was the first and last time i've seen a longboard in real life. that kid looked mighty cool makin his big swervy curves through the lot. go long stomemtn, go long!

I'd love to try street-luging! That and kite-surfing are the next two sports like that I'd like to try, really.

My gilfriend/fiancee's a physiotherapist. Some of her patients are professional lugers, but they also do other ridiculously stupid things in their spare time; that always involve hurling themselves off or down something really fast. Street-luging is one of their hobbies. To say the least, these guys are great to have as patients. They always come back; regularly.

Don't laugh COP, I had my eye on a sweet pair of old school roller skates. I'm thinking I should have gone with those. The brake in the front makes a hell of a lot more sense.

Honestly I felt about 5 years old last night, wearing a helmet and going around and around in our driveway. Stopping by holding onto the house and car. Sheesh I NEED HELP PEOPLE!!!!!

ms hux i would love to do some rollerblading with you - but the ones i have right now are kind of dangerous. i got them so i could play inline hockey many years ago [that lasted one summer - who ever thought that playing hockey in an arena with no a/c, in the middle of summer, in full hockey gear was a good idea was a little bit wacky, if you ask me], anyway they don't come with brakes. i brought them into a store once to see if they could jimmy-rig some brakes onto them, to no avail. i love it though, right now i just can't be near inclines or traffic. maybe i'll look for some used ones.

[sheesh, you probably didn't need to read all that, now, did you?]

Has anyone else ever come across the weird rivalry between skateboarders and rollerbladers? (Skateboarders refer to blades as "faerie boots".)

I learned about this one day in 1998, while rollerblading through Kingston, On. There were 20 or 30 kids (18-20 years old) sitting on and around a house, which I later found out was a halfway house. I guess they were all skateboarders, and they yelled something insulting at me as I skated past. I turned around, skated back, and said "Pardon". (Mistake #1.)

By the time I'd made a few more mistakes, I suppose the only word to describe my predicament was a "swarming". I must admit that amid being punched and kicked in the back as I bladed away, that was probably the only time in my life I was pleased to run into (literally) a police cruiser that was rolling down the road.

I turned around to see the little punks all running.

Moral of the story: Don't go rollerblading with StoneMtn. I'm too stupid.

I just have to say that I am the fucking superstar rollerblader of the world. Once I bought a ton of padding, strapped a helmet on and the fear of hurting myself wasn't present, I had a blast.

And I stopped every single time I wanted to thanks to an internet tutorial bouche sent me today (that's love people). ;)

WOO HOO good times.

I ended up joining Ms.Hux's Inline Skating Club today. I picked up a pair of Rollerblade Inlines and a set of K2 pads today and we ventured out on some pathways.

It is seriously a LOT of fun!

now I just need some cool skatin' clothes!