Jambands.ca

!!! - Tony Levin - Corktown Tavern, Hamilton - May 29

payce-ley

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony Levin is pro, his band is pro, but unfortunately the place was too crowded and the pa system conked out a few times. I still enjoyed the show, but it would have been so much better if it had been in a small theatre with a kick-ass pa system ... or in my living room. It was a good show, but not a spectacular one imho.

I did enjoy the wide range of music that was played by the band over the course of the show, and his story and song about playing music with Peter Gabriel and an ape had me tingling.

I wish I could have heard his Stick playing more clearly in the mix. I finally heard it during Elephant Talk, but would have loved to have heard it much more loudly and clearly. He is such a fun player to watch, I just wish I could have heard more of what I was watching him do.

Peace, Mark

The sound really ruined it unfortunately.

Elephant Talk made it worth while though.

I liked the overall vibe of the Corktown, I'd never been there and thought it was pretty cool.

A little upgrade to the sound gear and it would have been a perfect night.

It was fun to hang with a number of skanks at during and before the show. Good times overall.

Deeps

Yea! Our crew was the bomb baby! Deeps, Tonin, Fretman, and myself. GREAT times with good folk.

Too bad about the PA.

I did manage to record the show and from what I've heard so far, the recording accurately represents what went on in that room which was certainly not without it's fantastic moments. I'm going to try and sit down tonight and master it. TimmyB I need your set information please! Songs, names, times... I'd love it all!

No problem \/\/illy,

TONY LEVIN BAND

THE NOT SO LEGENDARY CORKTOWN TAVERN

MONDAY MAY 29, 2006

START TIME 10:03PM

SET I:

1. The Tony Levin Band Barber Shop

2. Pieces of the Sun

3. Break it Down

4. Shadowland

5. Sabre Dance

6. Jam Back at the House

7. Places to Go (The song where the PA Blew)

SET LENGTH Debatable based on the PA 49 MINUTES

START TIME SET II: 11:16PM

8. What Would Jimi Do?

9. Crisis of Faith

10. Phobos

11. Black Dog

12. Sleepless

13. Utopia

14. Back in N.Y.C.

TIME 12:04AM (49 MINUTES)

Encore:

15. Fragile as a Song

16. On the Air

17. Happy Birthday

18. Elehpant Talk

19. Don't Give Up Barber Shop

END TIME 12:32AM (Total time SET II 1 hour and 14 minutes)

Tim

TimmyB consistently amazes me with his music knowledge and his ability to document. I'm sure that he'll reply with the info you requested Willy, but here's what I know - I added the artist in brackets after the song title.

And it was great spending time with you Willy, and with Deeps and Fretman. Thanks for the pre-show hospitality!

Peace, Mark

TONY LEVIN BAND

THE NOT SO LEGENDARY CORKTOWN TAVERN

MONDAY MAY 29, 2006

START TIME 10:03PM

SET I:

1. The Tony Levin Band Barber Shop

2. Pieces of the Sun

3. Break it Down

4. Shadowland

5. Sabre Dance

6. Jam Back at the House - (Jimi Hendrix, and I think this is the song they ended with a tease of the song Red by King Crimson)

7. Places to Go (The song where the PA Blew)

SET LENGTH Debatable based on the PA 49 MINUTES

START TIME SET II: 11:16PM

8. What Would Jimi Do?

9. Crisis of Faith

10. Phobos

11. Black Dog (Led Zeppelin)

12. Sleepless (King Crimson)

13. Utopia

14. Back in N.Y.C. (Genesis)

TIME 12:04AM (49 MINUTES)

Encore:

15. Fragile as a Song

16. On the Air (Peter Gabriel)

17. Happy Birthday

18. Elehpant Talk (King Crimson)

19. Don't Give Up Barber Shop (Peter Gabriel)

END TIME 12:32AM (Total time SET II 1 hour and 14 minutes)

Tim

here's some sweet pictures from the show taken by The Infinite Adam:

http://stillepost.ca/boards/index.php?topic=48346.0

I really enjoyed that... problems aside, its great to see a group that talented lay it down... was impressed with how no matter what sound issue or crowd issue got in their way, the show they were putting on carried on without a hitch... unbelievable players

figure only thing they really could've done to resolve the crowding problem in that room would've been to sell half as many ticket for twice as much... still would've sold out (I would've still been there)... the stage is too low for anyone to see from 15 feet back if everyone there had've all been standing

the sight-line nazi's leaning against the front right wall definately did get on my nerves too though... acted like they paid a lot more to get in than the 30 people they (being 3 people) made stand at the back of the room with no view... so they could lean against the wall... "stop dancing, get out of my way" doesn't really set the vibe I'm looking for at great musical event

Tonin got the covers right, though I would like to listen back to the Hendrix song as I didn't catch King Crimson's "Red," during the song. If that was the case, nice ear.

Though I don't look at the King Crimson songs as covers as Tony Levin was cowrote the songs with the other members in the band.

And in a sense I don't look at the Peter Gabriel songs as covers either as Levin, Jerry Marotta and Larry Fast were all involved in the recording of "On the Air" and Levin was involved in the recording of "Don't Give Up."

Tim

Tonin got the covers right, though I would like to listen back to the Hendrix song as I didn't catch King Crimson's "Red," during the song. If that was the case, nice ear.

Though I don't look at the King Crimson songs as covers as Tony Levin was cowrote the songs with the other members in the band.

And in a sense I don't look at the Peter Gabriel songs as covers either as Levin, Jerry Marotta and Larry Fast were all involved in the recording of "On the Air" and Levin was involved in the recording of "Don't Give Up."

Tim

I'm almost positive that one song ended with a Red tease, and I think it was the Hendrix song. I remember saying to Fretman that it was a Crimson song, and he called Red, which I agreed with at the time.

A solid point about the Crimson and Gabriel songs, Tim. For anyone who hasn't done so, check out the huge list of recordings that Levin has been a part of:

http://www.tonylevin.com/discography.html

It's impressive!

I used to be a huge King Crimson and Peter Gabriel fan in the 80's, and saw Crimson when they toured to support Thrak, but lost touch with both bands and with Tony Levin after that. I'm glad I reconnected with this musician again, as he is very inspiring.

And I also like the "character" of the venue; I just wish that there was more room for people, and that the sound was better.

Peace, Mark

I'll convert the files to .shn on a system at home that I know works but I need somewhere to upload the show to. I can't seem to find the band on archive.org. Can I set them up without their involvement? They have a published taping policy on their web-site.