Jambands.ca

!!! - Tony Levin - Corktown Tavern, Hamilton - May 29

payce-ley

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey theGoodRev,

Yes I believe I saw a taper there, though I'm not completely sure?

At very least not the Tony Levin Band allows people to take pictures at their gig. Not like King Crimson who because of Robert Fripp would stop in mid song to tell people to stop taking pictures.

BTW I don't know if you know this but your article in the View is up on Tony Levin's website.

Tim

Right on, Tim. Did you notice any tapers there by any chance? Wondering if he's allowing taping.

I had both audio and video running in Toronto and the guy beside me had one of those pro video camaras (the ones that cost $4000) and had no problems either. Didn't need to clear it with anyone beforehand, just went in and set up.

And as for the show it was mediocre at best. The instrumental stuff was GREAT but the singing was boring as hell and since he was promoting his new cd which is the first to have vocals he concentrated more on the vocal stuff.

thank you burnt for an honest report on the show....

i'm still heading there tonight, but i dont want to have my expectations too high.

Hey secondtube,

I hope by your above comment that you are not insinuating that I was not giving an honest report on my feelings of the show?

I respect the opinion of burnt, though I believe anyone who is going to the gig tonight that are fans of Tony Levin's work with Peter Gabriel and King Crimson will not be disappointed with the new material off of 'RESONATOR.'

Several tracks with vocals like "Break it Down" and "Crisis of Faith" have a Discipline vibe that any fan of King Crimson should enjoy. And another "Fragile as a Song" is directly influenced by an interesting time he spent with Peter Gabriel.

That being said compared to Tony's last tour with the Tony Levin Band there are a lot less songs that are instrumentals, so if Burnt went with the intention of seeing mostly instrumentals I can see why he would be disappointed.

Tim

More importantly: Does anyone know if the venue is air conditioned? I was just outside and my thermometre reported 38C.

[color:purple]Corktown has the sweetest top-of-the-line, state-of-the-art air conditioning you ever felt! might wanna bring a sweater...

;)

Tony Levin!!

The venue was so STRANGE that it made the show almost unwatchable. They took every chair from the whole bar and lined them up in rows in front of the stage, so the only place to stand was right at the side, but if you did, then all the old folks who've not been to a concert since the 80's, and wanted to stand against the wall, and be able to see perfectly, would complain "You're not going to stand in front of me for the whole concert, are you?" The music was good, but the whole weirdness of the venue was so distracting to me it was hard to pay attention. We wound up in the next room to play pool, where it would have been really nice to have more than one chair...

The venue was so STRANGE that it made the show almost unwatchable. They took every chair from the whole bar and lined them up in rows in front of the stage, so the only place to stand was right at the side, but if you did, then all the old folks who've not been to a concert since the 80's, and wanted to stand against the wall, and be able to see perfectly, would complain "You're not going to stand in front of me for the whole concert, are you?" The music was good, but the whole weirdness of the venue was so distracting to me it was hard to pay attention. We wound up in the next room to play pool, where it would have been really nice to have more than one chair...

I hear all this (and it's likely what my feelings would've been too if I were there as a 32 yr old person and regular concert goer), but as a concert promoter myself, you've got to always ask yourself "who will I cater too the most tonight?"

The reason you must ask that question is because you can NEVER please everyone (you should always try, but you need to know it won't happen).

Based on your opinions above, I'm going to guess that old folks that got a chair probably loved the set-up.

Amongst the clubs in Hamilton, each one I feel has some pros and some cons. Corktown is no exception.

That being said Tony Levin Band would've been better at Studio Theatre.

I'm sure the old folks with chairs had a great time. But the show was sold out, and they had to know how many tickets they sold, and they had to realize that there were not nearly enough seats, and the seats took up so much room, so there was not enough standing room. The chairs were also positioned that if you were standing on the side, you had a big pole blocking your view.

I have a feeling it's similar to the lawnchair and "down in front" problem Ottawa folks find at Bluesfest.