Jambands.ca

Roll Call: Drums & Tuba + David Lauzon in Ottawa 5/9

bradm

Tonight, Tuesday, May 9, Drums & Tuba make their first appearance in Ottawa in (IIRC) about three years, at Mavericks, with David Lauzon (of nero) opening up.

I've been wanting to see these guys again for, well, years now. I've heard that they've started to add vocals to their music, so I'm extra-anxious to hear what they sound like now. Who else is in for this one?

Aloha,

Brad

Last I checked, dancingfool said he's also planning on being there tonight. (And he half-jokingly talked about taking tomorrow off to recover; those who have seen him in motion at shows may quiver in trepidation at what that implies...)

Aloha,

Brad

Bradm, being this is a weeknight, do you know roughly when this show will run to and from? ie, Lauzon's opening set will start when, and D&T will be done around when?

AD

I have no idea. (I plan on getting there about 9pm to get set up.)

Aloha,

Brad

Wish I could be there!

Pretty soon we'll start considering babysitters on nights like this :) Anyone interested?

Dave said he's playing at 9:30 so I imagine D &T will be up by 10:30/11ish.

Have a great time guys.

I was a little unsure of what D&T would be like with vocals, but after hearing what they did last night, I think it makes them a much better band. I heard stuff that sounded like JSB at times, The Slip at other times.

I'm just a bit bummed out that their show had to be cut short (at just over an hour, right at the point when the encore started) due to the weather...on the stage... :(

Aloha,

Brad

A pipe in the ceiling above the stage broke/burst, and water started falling on the stage (which is the second time I've been there when that happened, the first time being the Sisters Euclid show last year).

Aloha,

Brad

I was a little unsure of what D&T would be like with vocals, but after hearing what they did last night, I think it makes them a much better band.

Aloha,

Brad

i'm in the other camp.

it has been 4 years since i last saw them, but i liked them much better back then.

i didn't mind one bit when they packed up early! sucks about the ceiling though. again.

David Lauzon's set list:

Autograph

Fly >

Dark Side Of The Spoon >

Betty's Funeral

Otherworld

Everlasting Beautiful Night

With Or Without You[1]

[1] U2 cover.

Drums & Tuba's set list:

Birdlike

Song #1

Motion Sequence

Brass Machine

Song #2

Last Words

Clowns

Bows And Arrows

Aloha,

Brad

i'm in the other camp.

it has been 4 years since i last saw them, but i liked them much better back then.

i didn't mind one bit when they packed up early! sucks about the ceiling though. again.

Are you fuggin serious??? They had ceiling issues AGAIN???...holy fack that is so not cool when it comes to bands getting "pissed" on. Shame on Mavericks...it was lucky for The Sisters that the water only landed on Gary's drums when they played there last year and missed Kevin & Rob's vintage gear...

David Lauzon's set list:

Autograph

Fly >

Dark Side Of The Spoon >

Betty's Funeral

Otherworld

Everlasting Beautiful Night

With Or Without You[1]

[1] U2 cover.

No offence to Dave or others, but I just didn't get it. It seemed like noise to me, lots of loops and ear-piercing slide guitar. Probably a bit too free-form for my tastes.

Man that was a loud show last night. Maverick's should (seriously) be giving out earplugs at the door if the music is gonna be that loud. Come to think of it, that's a good idea for any club, in case people forget.

2 thumbs down for the girl working the door, listening to her iPod during the shows. And for making me pay cover while letting 3 others behind me walk in for free.

AD

Maverick's should (seriously) be giving out earplugs at the door if the music is gonna be that loud.

That has been my issue for the past 12 months and the biggest reason I dont like going there. Not that I want earplugs, but the sound is poorly set up. Not too mention this whole pipe thing again?

I liked DT's set, and I think their new direction is great, and not really that surprising.. It was a little loud up front, but I dont mind jamming some TP in my ears to make it bearable.

I really liked their old 'Spoonys and Flatheads' and 'Vinyl Killer' material, and it would've been cool to hear a few of those numbers interspersed... regardless, they are fun to watch.