Jambands.ca

Tortilla preferences: corn or wheat?

bradm

I've been making up burrito mix a bit recently (onion, bell pepper, chopped plum tomatoes, black beans, veggie ground round, hot sauce), and thought I found a great deal on tortillas at my Loeb: 24 7" corn tortillas for about $2.

I got them home, opened them up, and used them, only to discover that I had forgotten something: I don't like corn tortillas. They seem to break more easily, are a bit too grainy, and the taste just doesn't agree with my palate. Unfortunately, I had two dozen of the things, so I've been going through them meal by meal.

Am I alone in this? I much prefer (ideally, whole) wheat tortillas over corn ones, both for texture and flavour.

Aloha,

Brad

not whole wheat ollie. I think he just means the flour kind.

THere are 2 types of tortilla, flour and corn.

Soft corn are VERY different than flour and unfried I don't really like them all that much.

They are becoming more and more popular in grocery stores though. When I do buy them it is usually to make either a Tostada (fry it whole) or Chips (fried in wedges).

Brad, so you don't waste your corn tortillas, put a little veg/canola oil into a skillet and heat it up fairly hot. Put a little piece of tortilla to see if it's ready for frying. Then place a soft corn tortilla in the oil and it'll get going.

Once it's golden, put it on some paper towels to sop up that extra grease.

Lay your burrito toppings on it and then garnish with your favorite cheese, sour cream, some Chinese Chili sauce and you've got a rocking Tostada!

For tacos, usually buy Old El Paso. For soft tacos, I use the flour tortilla.

Lay a full corn tortilla in there

i looked all over this town and couldn't find corn tortillas!

they're definitely more "authentic" if you care about that, and if you want them to work out better for you they're actually really simple to make.

i'll chat with my latin american lady pal at work and find out her recipe!

i looked all over this town and couldn't find corn tortillas!

they're definitely more "authentic" if you care about that, and if you want them to work out better for you they're actually really simple to make.

i'll chat with my latin american lady pal at work and find out her recipe!

visit that Latin store on Somerset. They have fresh and frozen. As well as awesome Tostadas that seeem to last forever.

There's plenty of delicious salsas, refried beans that are actually not gross (like El Paso), hot sauces and Chipotle in Adobe.

okay my lovely latina friend says, if you want to make them, buy the - corn flour, presumably?, i believe called "maseca" - in one of the latin markets. somewhere on the package apparently has a good recipe! she says all you really have to do is add water to the flour until it's at a consistency where it doesn't stick to your hand.

buen provecho! :)

yes...then you need a tortilla press. I think they're about 30 bucks at that latino store. I should get one very soon.

I just noticed some corn ones in the freezer and we're having some pork tenderloin wraps tonight for dins with the standard mexi spices and .... grilled pineapple! LEarned that pineapple goes great with pork at the Mexican place in the market...Azteca?